how to install gm 105 amp alternator

bonvo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, went to junk yard. I didnt have a socket big enough to get pulley off. Ran to schucks to buy socket.... returned with one inch socket... It was too big. I had the parts guy test it on an alt in the back.... he said it was perfect..... :rolleyes: .... It was a size too big.... nobody at junk yard had one the right size.... Found a connector that was a 1 wire but was a little too small but I think I can cut it out and make it work, it just needs connection on that one prong I assume.

Bonvo, what size belt are you running? you have any extra of those pulleys?

to answer datzen mike it clears the inlet on the timing cover with no problems

sick620 you really want to find the correct connector that way it will be water tight and you dont short your system out there hast to be one in the yards keep lookin dont hack it together and kill the truck lol and no i do not have any more pulleys i can find out the belt info in the morning

AND FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!

(Connector) comes off of a 3rd generation (chevy cavalier).... 1995-05

They are on other cars but there are alot of these vehicles in our junk yards...

(Pulley) Comes off of

Mine is from---(1982–1986 Chevrolet S-10/Chevrolet S-10 Blazer)

1982–1986 GMC S-15/GMC S-15 Jimmy

1984–1986 Jeep Cherokee

1986 Jeep Comanche

They are on other cars but there are alot of these vehicles in our junk yards...

mount your brackets vertically! not horizontally.

right on yeah the issue i see with this is tracking the little shit down i didnt pay attention to what i pulled the plu off of i was just looking under random hoods in the gm section and i already had the pulley as i said thanks for adding that info if its cool with you i would like to add it to the first post

alright got it all mounted! On my setup I need a new lower radiator hose, mine isnt long enough and kinks itself against alt. I also need a new belt... other than that it fits great! I need help with wireing tho because i have a 79 and im already internally regulated. I have 4 wires going to my stock alt... wich ones

are ran to this alt? HELP ME

• 3 months later...

Looks a lot like the GM alternator setup I just removed from my 81 720(done by a previous owner). I already had a Nissan Alt ready to go in, or I would have replaced it with another GM Alt, had I even realized it wasn't the stock alt to begin with. I saved the parts though, just in case I need them.

EDIT: My GM alternator was only a 60 amp.