simple 280zx/510 strut questions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple questions.. Will 13x7 american racing Libres fit over zx brakes ?

Most people need to run a 14" wheel.......... do you have flares?

slide into a very cut down 510 shock tube that i will bolt and weld into place

Are you going to use stock 510 brakes?............... 280zx brakes DO NOT fit on 510 struts.....

Do you realize you could shorten your 510 struts (fun with lathe), add coilovers ($200), camber plates ($180),, , and some good short shocks (tokico $130-160)

That's probably true... haoever, there's arot moar to it than that though (if you wanna do it RIGHT, and have a good handling car)... I'm to the point of wishing I had gone with S13 suspension conversion on my ZX, and spent the money on Stance coilovers. going this route I think is going to end up being moar expensive than doing the S13 stuff...

Koni struts................$200

exhaust flanges.........$10 (used to set coilovers on)

coilovers......................$80 (yes, I used the cheap ones)

new springs................$80 (stiffer to keep from bottoming out as often)

NCRCA's...................$130 (befoar shipping)

camber plates..........$180

...................................$680

And I already had the 280ZX struts and brakes (kinda hard not to when you're workin on a 280ZX lol) And that's just the front suspension! gotta do moar work to the rear still (on top of half the crap I put up there :( ) :/

• 3 weeks later...

What's the rest of that equation? I know the hubs fit just fine, but it also changes the rotor position, so IIRC, you can't use the 280 calipers when you do that. Can you just put the 300zx calipers on the 280zx struts? I know I've checked this personally, but off hand, I don't remember what the answer was.....and I don't have time to go dig through my own thread :)

In The Dime Quarterly there is a write up for using the 280sx strut and swapping the 300zx hub and a caliper bracket is machined to use the willwood caliper and an 11" rotor. This setup would give the benefit of correcting the track width, larger brake rotor, four piston caliper (lighter than the oem caliper). I have seen lots of talented machinist on this forum, why doesn't any one supply this bracket to do this swap? Is there a disadvantage I am missing from this swap that I am missing?

In The Dime Quarterly there is a write up for using the 280sx strut and swapping the 300zx hub and a caliper bracket is machined to use the willwood caliper and an 11" rotor. This setup would give the benefit of correcting the track width, larger brake rotor, four piston caliper (lighter than the oem caliper). I have seen lots of talented machinist on this forum, why doesn't any one supply this bracket to do this swap? Is there a disadvantage I am missing from this swap that I am missing?

I think that is what arizonazcar.com is selling, but of course you have to buy the whole front kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Aight, here's what I used:

Koni PN#: 86 1919

fits all models of '75-'89 Rabbits and Sciroccos.

and this is how they compare to Z31/S130 stuff:

DSC03878.jpg

reds are obviously Koni's lol

the upper Tokico HP's are Z31 300ZX front struts (the shorter of the blue ones)

the lower Tokico HP's are S130 280ZX front struts (the longer of the blue ones)

clearly an old post but this pic is super helpfull to me.

if you look at the Tokico inserts, it looks like it is m12 thread at the top, then an shouldered diameter slightly smaller than the shaft diameter pretty similar to the strut inserts i have on my car.

if you look at the koni inserts they look like an m12 thread at the top, and an 12mm diameter shouldered spot below the thread.

I could bolt my camber plates to the koni's but not the tokico's they way they are now. Are people getting their camber plates machined, their inserts machined, or just buying the correct combinations so their stuff bolts up?

can any verify or measure the diameter and length of the thin section under the threads on the konis? I think they would work and very well may be the way to go rather than having to do machine work (not scarred of that either, but if the cost is similar, new inserts is a win in my mind)

T3 the guy that works there knows about the Koni insert issue. You get a bushing or somthing. or not use the busahing.

I use the koni 280zx inserts but the threads(funky thread size also) to hold it in the tube are barely enough but work.

call Techno Toy Tunning. I think I had to buy soem nuts as my inserts didnt come with them or lost one.

Hpuse you have to remeber buying the shortest tube is not alwasy going to work. It depends on where your spring perch is also and the off set of your rims. I myself run the stock 510 struts and had to keep the perch in stock position to keep the tire hitting the perch.+25mm 15x7 rims.

more towards 0 offset then you can drop the perch lower.

I just went with the 7in tall spring and crank the collar all the way down

• 2 years later...

I used my stock 510 struts,,, then shortened them ~2 inches..... and re-threaded the top of the strut tube

With a 4.5" coilover collar.... . I can put the front crossmember on the ground (I know you already commented on how low my car is,, and how you'd be worried about the tires hitting the flares)

If i shorten my zx struts, will using my 4.5 inch collars be short enough if I make the perch sitting flush with the top of the strut and top of the collar. HARD TO PUT IN WORDS

Basically... everyone has 7 inch collars/springs that they use for their coilovers. Thus perch is 7 inches below the gland nut or tip of the strut tube, which means more adjustability. Losing those 3 inches of adjustability with my 4 inch collar, will I still be able to slam my dime on 15s with the 4 inch collar? MR2 inserts and shortened struts. 

Anyone know what I am trying to say please answer my question lol. THANKS

The actual adjustability is meaningless. You can get just as low by just moving your perch as far down as possible as you can with an adjustable setup that lowers the spring the same distance. Lowering is about total strut height in this case. How you reduce that total strut height isnt important.