no more brake lights...

well back fixing another weird problem on my truck again.

got pulled over the other morning on the way to work (2 blocks from my house no less) for no front turn signal not working. cop comes up and tells me that as i was pulling over that i didnt have any brake lights. he has me go through all my lights and says, "yup you aint got any brake lights bud".

so i end up getting a fix it ticket for the whole ordeal and i was on my way.

so now, ive spent all of yesterday afternoon trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

ive got through and replaced just about every bulb on the truck now. i replaced the brake light switch, which wasnt even bad come to find out. ive checked every harness connector that i can find thats related to that rear part of the harness. all my other lights work. turns, running lights, the turns work while the running lights are on too. just the brake lights dont work...

now is there any certain fuse or relay that im overlooking here? ive got a datsun manual that has some pretty detailed color diagrams, and i just cant follow it.

please help... anything would be much appreciated!

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well back fixing another weird problem on my truck again.

got pulled over the other morning on the way to work (2 blocks from my house no less) for no front turn signal not working. cop comes up and tells me that as i was pulling over that i didnt have any brake lights. he has me go through all my lights and says, "yup you aint got any brake lights bud".

so i end up getting a fix it ticket for the whole ordeal and i was on my way.

so now, ive spent all of yesterday afternoon trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

ive got through and replaced just about every bulb on the truck now. i replaced the brake light switch, which wasnt even bad come to find out. ive checked every harness connector that i can find thats related to that rear part of the harness. all my other lights work. turns, running lights, the turns work while the running lights are on too. just the brake lights dont work...

now is there any certain fuse or relay that im overlooking here? ive got a datsun manual that has some pretty detailed color diagrams, and i just cant follow it.

please help... anything would be much appreciated!

thanks

Are the fuses under your dash on the bottom left all good? None of them are blown? I think the top right fuse is the "Park/Tail 10A" fuse.

If you have a test light, get a good ground and test that your getting power to the fuse, once that is validated, put the test light onto the brake light switch, one of those two connections should have constant power, the other one should light up when you press the brake.

If all that works then it has to be from there back where the problem is. Maybe something is not grounded, I would check the tail light connections, disconnect and see that there is no corrosion and nothing hindering the connection, you never know I disconnected one and it had a tiny piece of wire in there causing a short probably.

That's my two cents, we all love electrical problems don't we!?

First, did replacing the front signal bulb get it working? If so the only problem is the brake lights at the back aren't working?

Try the 4 way emergency lights... do all four flash?

Headlights ON.. do all the front, tail and side marker lights work?

yeah i put a new bulb in the front and that worked fine. i never though of tryin the flashers...

i went through the whole wiring system again, and replaced all my fuses. somethin that i did managed to get them working.

so whoo hoo...

whats next lol