Towing/Hauling/Payload

andros

I tow with my 521 daily, and I can tell you this, you will notice it back there, especially if it is not a dually.

I used to tow 720 diesel trucks home with my 720 diesel truck, I finally sold that truck and had to use my 720 diesel dually to tow the next rig home, what a difference, I will never tow anything on the freeway unless it is a dually, period.

That said I have hauled a lot of weight in the recent past.

This is heavy, I had 80-90psi in each airbag in the rear.

DSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

And this is one ton on the truck flatbed, and one ton in the trailer.

DSCN0873.JPG

DSCN0876.JPG

So I hauled two tons over a hundred miles, I have an LZ23 hybrid engine with hardbody dual piston front disc brakes, and that engine was likely moving close to 3 1/2 tons total, maybe a little more.

Fact is one ton is nothing to this truck, if you look at the second photo above, you will see that the dually tires are compressed, and in the photo above with one ton on the bed, the tires look normal.

• Like 3
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a dually datsun now...

They are a lot of work, I did not build my 521 flatbed dually because I thought it looked cool, it was built out of necessity, well mostly because I needed it, I suppose I could have worked with my non-dually flatbed I used for a whole year, but now I just cannot see having anything else for my work truck.

I also have this one, but it is just to look at, it can't haul a lot of weight.

DSCN0055.JPG

Yea, I was looking at an old 3500 as a hauling truck/car hauler, but I wish I could get a datto for that instead. However, it would probably be too much work. Would need better brakes, more power (probably would go with a deisel swap), and I would most likely want to reinforce the frame, but its a cool idea.

DAMN Wayne talk about making them earn their keep.!! Your 521 dually is badass.!!

I tow with my 521 daily, and I can tell you this, you will notice it back there, especially if it is not a dually.

I used to tow 720 diesel trucks home with my 720 diesel truck, I finally sold that truck and had to use my 720 diesel dually to tow the next rig home, what a difference, I will never tow anything on the freeway unless it is a dually, period.

That said I have hauled a lot of weight in the recent past.

This is heavy, I had 80-90psi in each airbag in the rear.

DSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

And this is one ton on the truck flatbed, and one ton in the trailer.

DSCN0873.JPG

DSCN0876.JPG

So I hauled two tons over a hundred miles, I have an LZ23 hybrid engine with hardbody dual piston front disc brakes, and that engine was likely moving close to 3 1/2 tons total, maybe a little more.

Fact is one ton is nothing to this truck, if you look at the second photo above, you will see that the dually tires are compressed, and in the photo above with one ton on the bed, the tires look normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a weigh slip from the scrap dealer around here somewhere that shows I hauled over 2800lbs in the back of my 76 Datsun 620. Fun stuff with four wheel drum brakes, but it never touched the bump stops. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Looking at trailering my 75 280Z with a 78 L20b and 5 speed 620. Would this work reliably?

I guess that depends on how far, how heavy the trailer is, etc.

I use a tow dolly with my 95 D21 Hardbody. I can feel it when I have a Z or ZX back there but it pulls it. I'm thinking the stock L20B in the 620 is going to be struggling to pull 3500 - 4000 pounds for too far or over any modest hills.

Might be time for an engine swap.

• 1 year later...

Looking for some information as well on this subject:

My friend screwed me, sent me a picture of an old VW bus/pickup that had been stretched and was used to haul around a Porsche open when lace car from that era.

Ever since seeing that been wanting to do that to haul around my 510 or 240 for the track.

Currently have a 75 long bed that will be the build vehicle and also found a 78 chassis/cab truck that was a converted motorhome. Has the dually rear wheels but does not look like it has the upgraded rear end with the floating axles.

Looks like on this thread I want to find some earlier springs, and definitely upgrade the brakes.

The one post shows the guy hauling approximately 3.5 tons with Hardbody brakes that have dual pistons. Had a 1990 pathfinder, never had much confidence in those brakes any other suggestions and any idea's on what payload I would have with the Commercial chassis springs and axle?

Looking for some information as well on this subject:

My friend screwed me, sent me a picture of an old VW bus/pickup that had been stretched and was used to haul around a Porsche open when lace car from that era.

Ever since seeing that been wanting to do that to haul around my 510 or 240 for the track.

Currently have a 75 long bed that will be the build vehicle and also found a 78 chassis/cab truck that was a converted motorhome. Has the dually rear wheels but does not look like it has the upgraded rear end with the floating axles.

Looks like on this thread I want to find some earlier springs, and definitely upgrade the brakes.

The one post shows the guy hauling approximately 3.5 tons with Hardbody brakes that have dual pistons. Had a 1990 pathfinder, never had much confidence in those brakes any other suggestions and any idea's on what payload I would have with the Commercial chassis springs and axle?

The Nissan 720 cab/chassis dually axle is only rated for 1700lbs, and the brakes don't work that great when hauling around that much weight, but I don't haul them kind of weights that often anymore, I figured out I am not indestructible.

If you actually want to haul around the race car legally, you need a big truck with a commercial axle made for weight, not one of these Datsun/Nissan Motor homes, if you look close at the modified frame of the Nissan motor home, you would never haul any kind of weight with it, I believe that the only reason the frame don't bend is because motor home structure added on keeps it from bending/sagging/twisting.

The frame under that 521 dually is very modified, it is made to haul way more weight than the axle will haul, or the brakes will stop, I built it to survive me, in spite of me.