Current status:

122_5403.jpg

122_5400.jpg

122_5401.jpg

122_5402.jpg

122_5404.jpg

122_5405.jpg

PLANS:

decided to make my 620 look similar to the one that scott painted. Minus swords.

71Datsun521SakeSamurai2.jpg

found out where to get alot of the stuff. just lookin for the rack.

unless you got other random stuff that would be cool.

Plan to lower it maybe tonight after work or in the morning

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well today seemed like a good day to kickstart the 620 build/destruction:

Started off with the simplest things.

I like many of you have a truck with a detroyed glove box lol

i saw the ways that were used for ppl to fix them, and i have vinyl at work i can use, but like i am, i forgot it. but was at teh flea market, and grabbed a hinge set for a dollar.

Heres how it went:

THIS is how it looked this morning.

0420100856.jpg

so i drilled a hinge to the bottom, only using one of the 3 screws. cuz thats how i do.

0420100903.jpg

removed the plate at the front of the glovebox and slid the other side of the hinge under it, and screwed it back down.

wa-la.

it works like a charm. might not last for too long, but its definitely better.

0420100905.jpg

On to task 2- Lowering the front:

Easy enough needs no explanation.

BEFORE

0420100919.jpg

AFTER

0420100919a.jpg

0420100938.jpg

Currently sitting on bump stops up front, so no tellin how low it actually couldve gone. but tommorow ill shave the stops down an inch or 2

yea i got one from a VW. the guy is down for the deal, but hasnt decided a day for me to get it.

got the blocks and u bolts ready to go in tomorrow, but i gotta put the 240 together. also got some other goodies ready to rock tomorrow

well, lowered the rear today

0421101127.jpg

0421101131.jpg

and added some fancy shit to my engine bay.

the rear was a pain in the ass. 3 hours, by myself. no power tools.

now that i think of it, if i woulda plugged in the compressor, i coulda used my impaact. fml.

drove the truck around the block, all was good. drove down the road headin to work, muffler broke and is bouncing off the driveshaft. so more to do lol

tried to adjust the brakes, didnt see a "star" key. tried to move this weird looking piece. and now my brake makes a scraping noise when i go to stop.

tried to adjust the brakes, didnt see a "star" key. tried to move this weird looking piece. and now my brake makes a scraping noise when i go to stop.

Vegas did you look at the manual? Looking through the hole you only see the edge of the star wheel. It is this wheel with notches in it that you can pry up or down with a screwdriver. That is what opens up the brakes or closes them. If you are getting some grinding now, you must have adjusted it. Did it stop better?

Vegas did you look at the manual? Looking through the hole you only see the edge of the star wheel. It is this wheel with notches in it that you can pry up or down with a screwdriver. That is what opens up the brakes or closes them. If you are getting some grinding now, you must have adjusted it. Did it stop better?

i just barely moved it, and it wasnt with a screwdriver, it was way at the bottom of the brake housing, slides left or right. and i just tried to wiggle it a bit to see if it'd move.

i guess it MAY have worked cuz my brakes worked in reverse today. idk ima look at the manual now to find a pic

EDIT:

ok, well acording to the manual, i was halfway there lol.

you gotta slide that piece out of the way, then adjust the brake, then slide it back, so i was close i guess.

i'll piss with it tomorrow, im at work now.

thanks scott

i just barely moved it, and it wasnt with a screwdriver, it was way at the bottom of the brake housing, slides left or right. and i just tried to wiggle it a bit to see if it'd move.

i guess it MAY have worked cuz my brakes worked in reverse today. idk ima look at the manual now to find a pic

EDIT:

ok, well acording to the manual, i was halfway there lol.

you gotta slide that piece out of the way, then adjust the brake, then slide it back, so i was close i guess.

i'll piss with it tomorrow, im at work now.

thanks scott

That is right! I forgot about the sliding thing. I've been messing with '59 brakes and they don't have the slider thing. Glad you are on the right track!

haha yea. at first when i saw them i was like WTF is this. but i just guessed thats what it was, at least i was close.

worried that the muffler thing is a bigger problem than i can see. i hope not.

ALSO!!! how common is it for the blocks to slide out?? just wondering, while i was driving i was scared that was the problem

Umm your blocks shouldn't slide. They have a stub in the top of them that fits on your spring perch on the diff,and a hole on the bottom for the bolt that holds your leaf springs together to fit in. Make sure your u bolts are tight too.

good luck!

well i lifted it up, placed jack stands under all 4 corners, PB blasted the fawk out of the bolts, went to work on my 240 for a bit, the returned. still a pain in the ass. only to realize halfway thru that i have a compressor and air tools galore.

oh well. brakes and exhaust tomorrow probably. only i dont have a welder, so ill probably mock it all up, then have it welded

well i went to adjust the brakes this morning. and i started with the front. passenger side. got it all dialed in. moved on to next front wheel. there was NO adjustment wheel.

moved onto the rears. same. no adjustment sprocket. at least not that i could find. idk WTF that mean. but it cant be good.

also think this MIGHT be a pawn in the problem with my brakes. popped the hood, was inspecting the master cylinder eetc. and saw this:

122_5408.jpg

idk maybe im wrong.

Old and busted:

vegas111.jpg

New Hottness:

veags1111.jpg

got it all together , but i think there is a leak up close to the header. which i didnt replace that far up.

122_5406.jpg

122_5407.jpg

rofl

No adjustment? That might be why your brakes don't work. :blink:

You might want to take your drums off. now that's fun :hyper:

Here's a pic of what it looks like from the drum side. The lower left hand corner. Mine were stuck really bad. It took a lot of penetrating oil,heat and tapping-NOT hammering to get them apart.

brake3.jpg

No adjustment? That might be why your brakes don't work. blink.gif

You might want to take your drums off. now that's fun hyper.gif

Here's a pic of what it looks like from the drum side. The lower left hand corner. Mine were stuck really bad. It took a lot of penetrating oil,heat and tapping-NOT hammering to get them apart.

brake3.jpg

damn ok.

yea i jsut talked to one dude about it, and he said the taped up line in the manifold is for the brake booster, and if it does leak vac, then my brakes will suck as well.

so looks like tomorrow is pullin the drums.

fun shit.

122_5423.jpg

122_5424.jpg

painted the wheels red. to get closer to the Sake Samurai completion.

ALSO

adjusted the brakes, thru taking the drums off.

and the fronts are definitly better, but now the scrape noise is up front.

so i take it, altho the sound is horrible, the brakes are working great.