620 headliner

i need to remove my old head liner, so i can do some body work on the trucks roof, the old one has shrunk and is pretty crusty looking.

any advice on taking it out, and maybe some ideas on how to make a new one, or where i can find a replacement.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i looked there too, but it only lists 80 and newer models

maybe i will just have to make my own, there is a guy on ebay and he want 79 bucks plus shiping, so even if it took 2 trys to make a nice one it would be worth the effort.

Dont forget that the headliner goes underneath the front and rear window seals. Chances are the old seals are dried up and not reusable, might want to get those ordered too. A headliner project can get expensive in a hurry..

windshiled is broken, so it will be replaced too ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my headliner from goliners off of Ebay. Seems to be a good product. It's still in the box (opened) since I'm not quite ready to use it yet. Still gotta paint the inside of the cab and such before installing it so not done yet. The pattern in the vinyl is different but I don't see that as an issue. He also gives you enough to do the sun visors also. And also by not using the factory headliner you don't have to worry about that stupid white and needing to die it whatever color you want. Order in the color and done.

Paul

if and when you do try to make one, cut your material at least 1.5 inches larger than the old one(on the outer edges), use your old one as a pattern, make sure to put the stay loops in the exact same place as this is how you center the headliner, install both cross rods into the stay loops then install the cross rods into the truck, then work outward from the center to each side clipping it into place, then stretch to the front and clip into place, then go to the rear, after you work out all the wrinkles, then undo the sides and tack into place with 3m spray glue, then the front, then the rear,only tack with glue in the recesses around windows and door jams, where ever seals and trim go, first and foremost make sure to clean all jams good with a grease and wax remover(3m) that way you will have a clean surface for new glue to stick to, spray both the jams and the edge of the headliner material,let glue tack for about 2 minutes, then gently work all area's together and make sure to keep your material pulled firm as you apply pressure to stick it together to truck surfaces. i hope this helps, as i have used this process on all my restorations over the past 30 years, and have always had great results, plus it helps to have done upholstery for a living also..tom

if you have any questions please feel free to ask, i do not however do upholstery any more due to not having the proper sewing equipment..tom

• Like 1