1980 Datsun 210 (310) Sunny

The strut tube length and insert size is the main factor with how low it can go.. You can go this short:

c36020110116172709.jpg

You don't have to lower the car to "get camber". Using adjustable strut tops is the way to go, as lowering alone will only do a little. For better handling you want less camber then stock, so the tops of the tires are in.

Any suggestions on camber plates?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy work schedules haven't enabled me to get on the forums or do much, and with that said... I'm still working on my bumpers and bumper lights issue. However, I was able to resolve some issues slowly, like welding together the bumper brackets and finding a way to make the turn signals to work (more on this later). Most importantly, I scored a complete set of 280zx front strut assmeblies from someone on craigslist who was, obviously, parting out a 280zx. Im pretty sure they were meant for me since I've tried contacting the owner a few times late June, and always got those bullshit answers. Close to giving up, I decided, "what the hell," so I gave him a call last Friday and surely he had 'em. It was pure luck. After months of searching for them, I was fortunate enough to find them nearby. I paid a hefty amount of $150 taking them off myself, but I think it was fair enough since I didn't have to travel a long way. So, I leave you guys with this picture.

2012-09-14_17-43-03_449.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, back to my bumper lights as promised. First off, our USDM front (grille) turn signals are both parking light, and turn signal due to a double filament setup we got from factory. JDM turn signals are setup a bit differently, using a single filament for the turn signals and a separate single filament for the "parking light."

2012-09-24_14-53-08_592%255B1%255D.jpg

2012-09-24_14-53-35_882%255B1%255D.jpg

Now our harness looks similar to this image I drew on paint.

Turn%2520Signal.jpg

There are two power sources: one constant and one turn signal, and obviously a ground. So I figured I'd plug the parking lamp to the constant, the turn signal to the signal power source and both grounds together using these Japanese motorcycle bullet connectors.

3.9mm+kit_m+f_bullets.jpg

Although the male bullet connectors did not fit in the harness, I was fortunate enough to have the female connectors fit perfectly and hooked everything up. Of course, everything light up, but my turn signals were not functioning! My brother and I busted our backs trying to figure it out, but no results. My sole intentions were to not hack up the vehicle's wiring, and keep it as original as I can. Finally, my brother comes up with the idea of replacing the turn signal bulb to a double filament, but how? Being that I work in Autozone, I quickly remembered we sold bulb light sockets, so off I go to purchase these:

2012-09-25_13-38-49_196%255B1%255D.jpg2012-09-25_13-38-30_231%255B1%255D.jpg

I was lucky enough they'd fit like a glove, except for some trimming in order to make room for the wiring.

2012-08-27_11-43-01_25-1%255B1%255D.jpg

2012-09-24_14-42-45_650%255B1%255D.jpg

Now it's time for the connection process,so I put both constants from parking light and one of the filaments from the turn signal together, while the one pulsating power source was reserved for the other filament of the turn signal. That pretty much did the trick! Here's a super short clip of it on.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
 You can also put 280ZX inserts in the 210 struts.

once again thanks man, i reaaly needed that reply lol as i am trying to find some short  stroke shock insert, to avoid bottom ups when i'll lower my datsun. (allthough i think i will use them when i cut the strut tube not on stock struts with welded coil over kits.

• 3 months later...

OK, it took me about a month, but I got to mount the front bumper. With my work schedule and rain getting in the way, it's a bit hard to get things done. This is not the finalization of the bumpers, of course, I have to weld the metal pieces that form the bracket in order to remove all the hardware holding everything in place. I also ordered a pair of new bumper lights from ebay to put in place of the old cracked ones, which will soon be coming in from Thailand. BTW, Im trying to figure out what kind of male bullet connectors were used on the USDM signal lights, since the Asian/Eastern market used different connectors. I did order some 16-18 gauge bullet connectors from summitracing.com, but they weren't the ones (too big). Any idea guys, before I start splicing and cutting the wire harness?

Anyways, here are the pics:

2012-06-06_18-20-53_337%255B1%255D.jpg]2012-06-06_18-21-37_313%255B1%255D.jpg2012-06-06_18-25-10_632%255B1%255D.jpg2012-06-06_18-23-50_750%255B1%255D.jpg

can you please tell from which car is the metal bumpers you have sources out. On ebay there is a seller from finland who makes rear bumpers such as your however he does not make the front

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For some reason I'm having trouble posting pictures on this site, so I guess I'm posting up the image links unless a moderator can do their magic.

Previously, I left you guys with a picture of the 280zx front suspension I'd acquired.
2012-09-14_17-43-03_449.jpg

I know it's taken me some time, but a few things have happened this past year: engaged my fiance, change in occupation, crashed my TE72 in the summer :crying:, and broke a new phone. Setting everything aside, it was long due and it was time to upgrade a particular B310's front suspension. So I began placing a few orders. First on my list, Ground Control coilovers, but as I waited patiently for them to arrive I began cutting the spring perches and grinding up the welds to have it smooth enough for the coilover kit to slide on the strut. Sprayed a little paint for rust prevention. I then measured the diameter of the strut tube and purchased two 2-piece shaft collars at the local Grainger store. I've seen someone use them as temporary spring perches, props to whoever came up with the idea. So I set the shaft collars at a length I felt comfortable with.

https://://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--oMrCqscuzk/Un5QFOBLb1I/AAAAAAAAAiM/Dk2nX0JicWw/w288-h504-no/2013-10-12_13-18-50_8-1

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nd0limDjGfA/Un5QFFCtvlI/AAAAAAAAAiY/l8bC8pWekPY/w284-h504-no/2013-10-12_13-19-07_-1

Deconstruction Time!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lqlEcsd2Ke0/Un5QFJgwK9I/AAAAAAAAAig/Tfzdx-5vqf4/w894-h504-no/2013-10-12_13-20-17_2-1

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OQbFx4xtuRo/Un5QFGlirSI/AAAAAAAAAik/w6uih7vpqtA/w894-h504-no/2013-10-12_13-20-45_2-1

The rotors and brake pads were practically new, so I sent them off to cut which saved me some $, and I ordered a few necessary parts: calipers, caliper hose, kyb shocks and misc.

Here's the setup
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-M1F51mvHXDA/Un5QFHNGXTI/AAAAAAAAAio/ZH_L4qcMCMk/w896-h504-no/2013-10-25_13-49-13_5-1

Of course, I was also going Lower on the front so I needed some clearance with a bit of camber. Off I go in search for camber plates. It was a bit difficult as I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything for the B310. I was even tempted to go Mookeeh universal camber plates! But I thought to myself, "Why should I put such an inferior made eBay product on my car?" A little researching paid off when I looked through a Super Street magazine that featured a B110 and a B310 Sunny. Cusco Camber Plates! Browsed around Cusco's website, and I successfully found a part number. Looked it up on Yahoo! Japan and found a few! I made an account with BIDJDM, placed a bid and presto... weeks later and I get this through FedEx!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x9q70FDGOX8/Un7XRdy9ryI/AAAAAAAAAi4/2gu6xHIo26E/w896-h504-no/2013-11-09_15-15-50_472

Engrish Anyone?

Translation please!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Jowa1vfN1DE/Un7XbHH1SmI/AAAAAAAAAjA/jw5myC6Fuzk/w284-h504-no/2013-11-09_15-17-18_725

Camber plates installed and set all the way.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-I45Pkb_oIec/Uvho8sMzAGI/AAAAAAAAAsY/qqflStqqMiM/w896-h504-no/2013-10-16_15-51-55_451
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-69fDvaNeFDE/Uvho8tVlD6I/AAAAAAAAAsg/4dRV9o6Tk20/w896-h504-no/2013-10-16_15-51-47_305

Here's a shot of the front tire.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PD3MjSxeKuk/Uvho8gEMIuI/AAAAAAAAAsk/vipr9EFAMcc/w284-h504-no/2013-10-16_15-52-10_211

Finally, a shot of the new aggressive stance.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wvgTRiv1B6k/Uvho8i7yE8I/AAAAAAAAAsc/_VUm51aK3Vc/w896-h504-no/2013-10-16_15-51-12_283

Overall, the swap was pretty straight forward and bolt-on, except for the brake lines which had to be customized. I also went through two sets of calipers, because even though they were refurbished, they were frozen and wouldn't budge. Waiting for the calipers delayed me the most, but I couldn't do it without the assistance of my brother, my father and my good friend Harold.

To sum it up, the suspension swap was definitely an upgrade and the ride quality is so much better. No longer does it bottom out and handling has improved significantly. The camber plates also makes a huge difference particularly on turns. Simply Amazing!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For some reason I'm having trouble posting pictures on this site, so I guess I'm posting up the image links unless a moderator can do their magic.

Previously, I left you guys with a picture of the 280zx front suspension I'd acquired.

I know it's taken me some time, but a few things have happened this past year: engaged my fiance, change in occupation, crashed my TE72 in the summer :crying:, and broke a new phone. Setting everything aside, it was long due and it was time to upgrade a particular B310's front suspension. So I began placing a few orders. First on my list, Ground Control coilovers, but as I waited patiently for them to arrive I began cutting the spring perches and grinding up the welds to have it smooth enough for the coilover kit to slide on the strut. Sprayed a little paint for rust prevention. I then measured the diameter of the strut tube and purchased two 2-piece shaft collars at the local Grainger store. I've seen someone use them as temporary spring perches, props to whoever came up with the idea. So I set the shaft collars at a length I felt comfortable with.

So, you got some 280ZX front struts, and modified them to splice on Ground Control coil-overs?

Great respect to you, sir.

(I can't even figure out why my B310 doesn't run this time.)

What spring rate did you use?

Can you tell us what front alignment you ended up with?  Is that -2 degrees of camber?