1967 411 Project Start

Hi Guys

My first post in here but have been keeping an eye on the forums for a while, some fantastic builds going on which is great to see.

Picked up this '67 411 a while back and have just gotten around to working on it. I've started stripping some parts and have some ideas about how to go about the build.....I'd like to keep the original block if possible but I won't know whether that's feasible until i get it running, first cab off the rank will be a new water pump....Any ideas on what direction to take would be greatly appreciated.

dsc01428t.jpg

pic courtesy of PO....cramped quarters in my garage means I can't get as good a shot

P1020399.jpg

Look forward to hearing your thoughts guys.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,Im fairly new on here myself,it looks like you have a good start there. I would go over all of your electrical first. I just started building my '67 411 SSS,and found it has a few lighting issues. I went to the local scrapyard,and scored all the Nissan relays I could find. Now Im rewiring the lights,horn,radio,all to be running off the now hidden relay network. If you get it running soon,a set of good tires works wonders,just to make driving it more enjoyable(and less deadly).

Our weather just cleared up today,Im going to be getting a start on mine this morning,and over the next couple of days. Im very interested to see what direction you take yours in.There's some very Datsun-smart folks on here,with some great info on just about anything you have questions with.plus a few nice 411s....

Sorry, wrong 411 model. You have a P411, I was referring to a R411.

RL411 water pumps are not available! What you need to do is to buy a 1600 roadster water pump, pull the existing RL411 water pump's spinner off, pull the roadster spinner off the new water pump and press the RL411 spinner on leaving an inch of the shaft protruding. It will then mount and all pulleys will bolt on and line up. The shaft will be very close to the radiator! It looks scarier than it is though. Hope you have good engine mounts to control fore / aft motion of the engine. You can cut the protruding one inch off if you have the equipment or patience. No jokes about "Helwig and the Angry Inch" please.

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, they guy I bought it off had a heap of projects on the go and had to make more room so I jumped at the chance.

As far as the water pump goes I am getting some mixed messages from suppliers. I have been told that a WP837 can be used but everywhere I look, that water pump is for a J16.

As Mike said, the R411's aren't available but has anyone had any experience getting their hands on a P411 replacement?

Is it possible to get these repaired? The only problem is that the top inlet is corroded so the hose won't clamp onto it

I have seen a couple in the states online but no international shipping

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, they guy I bought it off had a heap of projects on the go and had to make more room so I jumped at the chance.

As far as the water pump goes I am getting some mixed messages from suppliers. I have been told that a WP837 can be used but everywhere I look, that water pump is for a J16.

As Mike said, the R411's aren't available but has anyone had any experience getting their hands on a P411 replacement?

Is it possible to get these repaired? The only problem is that the top inlet is corroded so the hose won't clamp onto it

I have seen a couple in the states online but no international shipping

I have made a temporary fix [that could become permanent if replacement can't be found] as follows. Using a Dremel or equivanent grinder remove all the corroded aluminum [orpot metal] which won't leave too much structure but don't despair. Get a piece of [in my case] inch and a quarter aluminum tubing and check fit into the carcas of the Dremeled water pump. Cut the tubing a bit longer than where it protrudes from where the lip used to be and remove. a sharp edge is better than a smooth rounded over one. Coat the area where the tubing touched the pump inlet and coat the end of the tubing with "Aviation Form a Gasket number one" it's non hardening and non shrink. Reinsert the tubing and usind a piece of wood for protection beat the hell out of the protruding end until the front end "bites" into the water pump casting. Now get your JB Weld or equivalent, mix and proceed to fill in all the missing pump body crap you ground out. Over fill slightly and when it cures a little careful filing and polishing with the Dremel and the pump will look like a new one. Good luck!

Fantastic idea Mike,

I will try and get that set up this weekend, sounds like a pretty solid replacement. As I said before, not having had the engine running yet, it's better not to spend too much just to see how it goes. If it runs well I will look to swap the temp out with a replacement.

The L16 fits into the engine bay of the P411 doesn't it? I have a spare and if the J13 falls through it might be a go-er

Cheers