71 Turbo Rotary

This was started back in 2000 i think, it moves very slowly, the car was pieced together from what we had laying around and trips to the junk yard. the pics all have comments from my dad who is the brains behind all this. he has been modifying 510's at least since '85 or so. i would love to hear your thoughts. making it pretty was never one of his goals though. fast and functional is what we are going for.

http://www.rawbw.com/~rockster/510/index.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool man! Welcome to you and your dad! Not use to seeing a rocker skirt on a dime, looks pretty neat! I think an air dam on the front will tie it all together!

• 2 weeks later...

I have only had the chance to drive it a few times further then just around the block, and i tried to take it easy, but i can say that it WANTS to go! once you get the rpm's up a little bit it just wants to take off. the car is so low you feel like you are in a go Kart. you can't even fit a floor jack under it.

we bought the car with the suspension work already done, and all the body work was done too. i really like the side skirts and the moon roof. and it was all done in carbon fiber so the car is super light. it's just to bad she sits more then she gets worked on or driven. :(

not sure how much weight was added by the motor, but it was distributed behind the front wheels for better handeling. We were going for more of a 50/50 weight distribution. we had to cut the firewall in order to push the engine back, but that is well worth it; it's all about the handeling.

hey all, qwkdime's dad here...

yeah, the wiring was a nightmare... i started with the 510 schematic (the easy bit) and then used the '88 turbo rx7 manual to make sense of it all... i treid to omit everything that wasn't needed for the basic running of the engine. i seperated every wire out of the harness and ran origin and termination for each one that was needed. it was a hell of a lot more wiring that i needed for the mustang II 2.8 V6 swap i did in the late 80's... that was a simple carb setup.

we bought this dime from a kid who was planning a small block chev install, so the firewall and tranny tunnel were precut. it was spozed to be a father son project deal... but life is what happens while you're making other plans... i got laid off in 05 for a few months and hammered it out (or maybe "in" is a better choice of words?). it was spozed to be up to my boy to finish the interior and the bits that make it look pretty (not my forte).

i bought my first dime in '82 AFTER having bought a dogleg 200sx 5sp.... i wanted one BAD!

i went on a farry bros "rally" sometime shortly after... i was the only one with a power brake booster. no one i talked to had ever done it back then... it just looked like it was begging to happen.

seems i saw an ad for a bunch of 510 stuff not too many years back from a number that looked like it might be kurt getting rid of dime supplies?

ohmy.gif

i have a picture of my son in a high chair after eating spaghetti and it didnt look that bad!

Pic073.jpg