H20 option

67411sss

So i have this H20 forklift motor that i am thinking about installing in my roadster, the engine looks clean apart from what looks like a blown head gasket at some stage. I also have a G15 head off an spl310 that i would like to use.

Here are some pics

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

Now the H20 head

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

And the G15 head

IMG_9354.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

And here are the combustion chambers

H20

IMG_9352.jpg

G15

IMG_9355.jpg

The pistons are dished somewhat and i'm worried about keeping a compression ratio that will work.

I haven't heard of anyone using this combo it's usually just the H20 crank that used to make a stoker motor. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a spare R 16 head or two taking up space. You better come over and dig through the pile before the price of aluminum goes up. I wish I had that H20 block when I built the stroker instead of going with the U20 crank and all the fooling around getting that machined. Good score.

If you use the G15 head and the G15 gasket on the H20 block the gasket will be squeezed down into the combustion chamber since it's from a smaller diameter piston engine. The pistons will hit the gasket and shred the steel lip. Not healthy. You'll know it's happening by the ticking sound when you first start up the engine.

If you uss the H20 gasket you might have a small problem with pinging due to preignition from the sharp edge on the G15 head being inside the combustion chamber.

I would personally use the H20 head. Since the cylinder and piston diameters are the same as the 1600 Type R engine, a 1600 roadster or RL411 gasket set should be just right. Your type H head looks exactly like my type R head.

Yea, what Shifty said. About 12 hours of quality time with a dremel tool. Match the intake ports to the manifold and open up the exhaust side as much as you can. You can look at the stroker head for reference.

I've also heard the H20 heads, while similar to the R16 heads, don't flow worth a damn. Don't know for sure, but why chance it, especially if Mike has extras?

Yeah, Mike, I didn't want to bother with the U20 crank mods nor upset Gordon with the loss of another U20 crank. :rolleyes: Going with H20 crank, R16 rods, and H20 dished pistons. Shave head/deck block as necessary to maintain correct CR.

Going with H20 crank, R16 rods, and H20 dished pistons. Shave head/deck block as necessary to maintain correct CR.

So are you using an R16 block Pete?

Yes, I have two later 5-main R16 blocks. Machine shop to determine which is better candidate.

Also just learned I need to find H20/U20 rods if I want to use U20/H20 pistons, otherwise I'll need custom pistons with the longer R16 rods.

I have the H20 in my Roadster. LOVE it! When I forst got it there was not much umph. I had to choice but to bring up the rear when on a run, everyone would pass me. Now that it is all dialed in with the Brisco IE Dizzy it has plenty of UMPH! now I hang with those up in the front.