Old bottles

Well spent today in front of an excavator ripping up an old road so it could be replaced. The road was just built over the ground and is just layers of crap including trees, stumps and garbage from probably at least a hundred years ago. The thing is there were lots of old bottles. These were before screw cap were used, all had corks. Anyway I got 7-8 of them and brought a couple home to show. Can anyone ID them?

This was the oddest one. It says ROSS'S on one side and BELFAST on the other. You'll notice that you can't stand it up because the bottom is rounded. The glass is very thick, which is probably to resist breaking. Could this be an Irish whiskey bottle? Is it rounded so you have to drink it and pass around until empty. :lol:

bottles001Large.jpg

This is labeled VAT 69 Scotch Whiskey so no doubt about this one.

bottles002Large.jpg

They are just under a foot tall.

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the skinny on old glass bottles...

http://www.antiquebottles.com/questions.html

My brother has been collecting for years and I could go on and on about bottle history, bottle molding processes and embossing/colors/thikness/bubbles/stoppers..... :blink:

But I need to get outside and keep at it...cool find. It would be great to get as many as you can.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Neat stuff Mike :cool:

What other treasures were buried?

There are a couple old car dumps if I remember correctly in the coal area of comox lake :blink:

Well there was a laxative bottle (Fletcher's Castoria),, a perfume bottle and another amber bottle that said Johnston's Fluid Beef. Probably like Oxo or something. And a huge amount of what looked like small champagne bottles. There were two others that I left that were marked Rochester NY and another Boston and had a company name. This was just off the main street and 4th avenue in Cumberland.

Can't find anything on the VAT 69 bottle.

Years ago I saw an opium vial.. looks like a 5er. (you know) :D I guess it's the now-a-day equivalent of a crack pipe.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Well there was a laxative bottle (Fletcher's Castoria),, a perfume bottle and another amber bottle that said Johnston's Fluid Beef. Probably like Oxo or something. And a huge amount of what looked like small champagne bottles. There were two others that I left that were marked Rochester NY and another Boston and had a company name. This was just off the main street and 4th avenue in Cumberland.

Can't find anything on the VAT 69 bottle.

Years ago I saw an opium vial.. looks like a 5er. (you know) :D I guess it's the now-a-day equivalent of a crack pipe.

Thats cool to find them in the "town" core Mike.

Many buried treasures on the rock that are hidden!

I will have to scope out leechtown down this way (shawnigan area)

Is a old camp,There is a rumour is a hidden tunnel was part of a old gold mine :blink:

Have been there many years ago in 510s(dirt road "cruising" :devil: )

Have you ever checked out the coal area around the lake(comox)?

I remember as a kid my folks would "hunt" old tin( cars :lol: ) in that area

I've driven in to the area but everything is gated now. We did do some work there once and there was an old ford goon against a tree. Piles and piles old mine tailings and an old RR grade. There's another area on or near the old fish and game site.

See some poor bastard ran off the logging road last Fri and rolled into the lake? Took two days to get the truck out ... guy was still strapped in.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I've driven in to the area but everything is gated now. We did do some work there once and there was an old ford goon against a tree. Piles and piles old mine tailings and an old RR grade. There's another area on or near the old fish and game site.

See some poor bastard ran off the logging road last Fri and rolled into the lake? Took two days to get the truck out ... guy was still strapped in.

There is (or was?)A lot of neat old stuff in the back trails there,I remember a Model T touring there, that was very complete :blink:

And also remember that there was a under ground fire(in a mine??)It burned for years and years about 10 - 20 years later it was still smouldering :o

I can believe that someone would go off the road,Many "late" night partys in the woods on the rock(even now adays :o )

I have seen many aftermath crashes,In the many years of out "cruising" the backroads here on the rock :blink:

Did you ever get to meet up with Daryl from that way??*edit*

I was shooting the shit with a fellow datto owner at work today(vide) :D

Was neat to bs Datsuns :lol:

Everyone there was like how the heck you know people here(Vic)

:P

I know way too many people through datsuns :cool: