Attention 411 owners (ball joint discussion)

Pete (ppeters914) and I have been discussing my latest undertaking... A full rehab of the front suspension on my 411 wagon.

It's been understood (or so we thought) that Part # 40160-24000 was the lower right ball joint for the 411, with the lower left having a different part number (and unobtainable).

I recently purchased what I believe to be the last 4 OEM ball joints available (40160-24000).

I recently disassembled everything and cleaned the old parts for thorough inspection.

Closer inspection reveals there's absolutely NO difference in the 40160-24000 and the original lower left ball joint. The ball joints on my car are identical (L to R) and also match exactly the 40160-24000 Nissan OEM part.

So, this begs the question - How can this be? Why would Nissan issue a different part number to two identical parts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get them for 95.00 each :blink: . they only had the 1 part numder for both sides at my local nissan dealer. i will also check on them at the local parts guy when i pick up my motor mounts today.

Really? According to two reliable, Datsun-friendly parts dudes, the 410/411 ball joints (all the part numbers) are NLA. The only ones I've seen are the uppers and (formerly) lower right aftermarkets from eBay seller soldonline-northbay.

Really? According to two reliable, Datsun-friendly parts dudes, the 410/411 ball joints (all the part numbers) are NLA. The only ones I've seen are the uppers and (formerly) lower right aftermarkets from eBay seller soldonline-northbay.

Yep. Here's the last OEM ones in existence... ;)

IMG00148-20100405-1842.jpg

IMG00147-20100405-1841.jpg

And here's a pic of a shiny new OEM right side ball joint on a recently-restored left side control arm, ready to be reinstalled.

IMG00149-20100405-1846.jpg

IMG00150-20100405-1846.jpg

The only thing I THINK might be different is this (and this may just be loose manufacturing tolerances for all I know):

The holes are offset minimally to one side on each ball joint, to opposite directions (R vs L). When you insert the ball joint flange in the control arm, the holes will appear to line up ALMOST perfectly, with a sliver of the ball joint flange showing in each of the 2 bolt holes. If you line one up perfect, the other is off more. If you line up the other one perfectly, the opposite one is off more.

I lined them both up to split the difference - where there was MAYBE 1/32" of a crescent of flange showing in the bolt holes. I took the drill press to them (to shave the flange), ran in some Grade 8 bolts, and done.

If they ARE INDEED different R to L, it's a colossal waste of money on Nissan's part, because there's absolutely no reason for them to be offset differently.