VG 30 twin turbo?

NWOleman

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done it myself, but it has been done... but, it's a hard swap, from what I know. It's a big engine, compared to the L-Series. There's a bit of fabrication required to fit a turbo KA or SR into a 510 (not sure about the 610's), so increasing the displacement by 600 cc's (compared to the KA24), adding two cylinders, and shoving another turbo in might be a little work... from what I know, you'll have to really modify the firewall, move around a bunch of steering components, possibly trim the fenders, as well as having to move the battery and radiator... then again, this is based on a 510, and only from what makes sense to me based on other builds, but I'm by no means an expert... just some things to consider.

Take a look at the article writen on theThe Dime Quarterly site. Look on the left side of the page and find "engines". About half way down is an article with a lot of info. Granted, it's a 510, BUT, very similar.

Personally, I see it as very doable. Hhhhmmmmmmm, I wonder if that guy I use to work with still has his sitting beside the shop. His daughters boyfreind rolled it.:eek:

Jester

I just got done putting in a KA24de into my 510 and it is not hard at all. Very little has to be done if you have any fabrication skills it should be simple. I made my own crossmember and tranny crossmember for a direct bolt in which you could switch back to an L motor in a weekend minus the driveline needing to be lengthened back for the shorter tranny. The VG t-turbo is a very tight squeez....I have seen only one in person in a 510. Not so sure on the firewall and strut wall mods but steering most likely. Fast as hell in a "straight" line, but I am sure is horible in the handling department. I would personally go with the KA turbo.....you save the weight and have less hassles...plus you can pick a na-KA up for cheap since all the people who cant do math are putting SR's in there car.....dont get me wrong though it would be a hell of a car to drive and would most likely get me many tickets....just giving you my thoughts on the situation.....

When I mentioned it was difficult to put a KA/SR in a 510 I was referring more to the plumbing for the turbo... there's enough fabrication to do that it might set some people off the idea. Considering the fact that the VG is just plain bigger than the four cylinders, it might be hard enough to plumb one turbo, let alone two...

I vote SR as well... I think the cost is roughly the same as a VG, but it would be a lot lighter, so better handling. Besides, with the weight, you might not even need the extra power...

Now don't be going and messing up a potential engine sale here!

Have I got a deal FOR YOU!!!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/491108901.html

And this 510 with a Z32 engine

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/635062

or if you would prefer

http://www.eoperformance.net/past_projects.html

SR's are WEAK! **cough (I only have 7 of them)** Especially ICEMAN'S!

I just got done putting in a KA24de into my 510 and it is not hard at all. Very little has to be done if you have any fabrication skills it should be simple. I made my own crossmember and tranny crossmember for a direct bolt in which you could switch back to an L motor in a weekend minus the driveline needing to be lengthened back for the shorter tranny. The VG t-turbo is a very tight squeez....I have seen only one in person in a 510. Not so sure on the firewall and strut wall mods but steering most likely. Fast as hell in a "straight" line, but I am sure is horible in the handling department. I would personally go with the KA turbo.....you save the weight and have less hassles...plus you can pick a na-KA up for cheap since all the people who cant do math are putting SR's in there car.....dont get me wrong though it would be a hell of a car to drive and would most likely get me many tickets....just giving you my thoughts on the situation.....

Sorry Joey, I think you need to watch the vids of it at willow springs, it does pretty damn well! You can offset weight issues with a properly setup suspension and I imagine now that since he is going to the vq (lighter than a ka), it is going to be even faster. Alot of work either way but its still fun! peace.

Knowing weather it was a VQ or VG would have been great when I made my first opinion. A turbo KA will weigh less.... unless your running multiple cars with different motor swaps on the track at the same time the video isnt a great comparison....he may have set it up good but there are some very fast L motor cars on the track... I just hate all that extra work involved in shoehorning the VQ in. ooh ya. turboing a KA 510 is Not hard, plenty of room

Without transmisison

L18 260 lbs

CA18ET kg 260 lbs

QR25DE kg 267 lbs

CA18DET kg 282 lbs

SR20DE 306 lbs

SR20DET 328 lbs

FJ20ET 366 lbs (205 hp)

KA24DE 368 lbs

VQDET 380 lbs single turbo

With Transmission:

SR20DET 490 lbs

RB25DET 667 lbs (280 hp)

VG30DET 589 lbs

Ford Small Block V-8 487 lbs

Chevy Small Block V-8 575 lbs

So I only added roughly 200 lbs to the front of my car by going RB26 but then again put it back 14 inches. This may work better than I was thinking. That is good info there. Thanks for the numbers. Now we just have to work out the HP for moderate build on each with polar moment of inertia, track times, braking...Oops, there I go again. OVERANALYZING.

Whenever anyone asks me what kind of racing I'm doing with my 510, I'm always kind of stumped...Oh, it's just a street rod.

Do what's fun and what you would like gentlemen. L, VG, VQ, KA,CA, SR, RB, SBC, SBF, the choices are vast.