Kiznook's Ratsun project:

HOORAY!! time to revive this thread. Gonna have to skip alot of stuff I've done and jump straight to the current.

Just before canby I had BIG plans, long story short, life got in the way and all I got done was putting in a new clutch. Turned out my car had a 200mm flywheel with what looked like a 510 clutch (tiny, weak PP) Ended up switching to 225mm and running a clutch for a maxima/810 I believe, whchever one I went with had the heaviest OEM pressure plate. Clutch works great, and grabs far better than the old one ever did.

SOMEONE BUY MY 6-bolt 200mm Flywheel!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I pulled the ol DGV off in favor of a single 45 DCOE on a cannon manifold. The carb needs some adjustment/jetting, gotta figure out a better return spring, and need to drill the manifold and add a barb for vacuum advance.

off the bat this carb runs about as good as my DGV (which wasn't very well tuned) and it deffinitley pulls harder off idle.

I used a throttle cable from an F-10 and it is PERFECT for the 510, the mount at the pedal is like a master cylinder, and all you have to do is remove the ball for the old linkage from the pedal.

I expect to be very happy with this setup once I get it dialed in. Pictures will be up soon.

I did not. Where am I supposed to look?

if they are like Mikunis the choke size is cast into the face of it look inside the venturie of the carb the choke is were it necks down before the butterfly and the number should be visable,if the carb is stock I would say that the choke size would be around 34 or 37 but thats just a guess, depending in the work done to the engine stock should be fine.

Clayton

I looked down the barrels, and didn't see any numbers, I just assumed I was looking in the wrong place, and or stupid.

Judging by the way it runs so far, I doubt I'll need to change anything other than the jets, and settings. I really think I'm being held back by shitty timing too, but I never got around to installing provisions for a timing light (sawtooth) That'll be the next step.

Okay, from what I've been reading, you can't drill the manifold for vacuum to advance the dizzy. I had a feeling. Turns out it needs to be carb vacuum, from right around the butterflies somewhere (if I'm comprehending properly)

SO, looks like I need to see if I cant squeeze some more initial advance out of it, try to get the carb dialed in, then have my dizzy recurved.

• 1 month later...

Small update:

This went on

P1010009.jpg

Then came this

P1000996.jpg

P1000997.jpg

P1010001-1.jpg

Now this:

086d1d21.jpg

f7e48518.jpg

I ordered the rings, and have all the bearings and gaskets. Just need to get it torn apart, and as soon as the rings and the piston (Thanks DatzenMike!!) get here I'll be able to get her back on the road.

On of the bolts for the flywheel is all buggered up in the crank, so I might have to take it to the machine shop.

Got it on the engine stand and pulled the pan. everything looks okay, but that's not saying much without seeing the bearings. I did take a look under the con-rod cap for #1 and the bearing looks fine, obviously not new, but no unusual wear. Fingers crossed that they all look good.

Decided to quit for the night when I couldn't get the timing cover off. Need to get my hands on a rubber mallet, or dead-blow little lady just needs a love tap or two :D

• 1 month later...

Fast forward to today

photo-1.jpg

Long story short, finally got a piston the week before last, and I've been busting ass on it every chance I get (okay, not really, but it's been going quickly) Today I joined the assembled head with the assembled short block and worked a lot on cleaning and polishing the front cover and a few pieces here and there. If it weren't for all the cleaning, this would go quite a bit faster.

I'm hoping to be back on the road within a week, maybe even by this weekend!

sorry, took a few test runs then had to set the hood on so it wont get rained on, then I realized that I didn't take any pics. BUT on the other hand it was time for dinner so I really didn't care :D

Now there is honesty.:cool:

Glad to here it going good.

You surf in Vancouver? That is ballsy!!!!

Well, it has begun finally, that is to say I got my garage clean enough to get it in and have some room to work. The lame part is, as I was cleaning it started to feel like cleaning was the project, when in reality I wasn't even close to starting THE project.

On with the pics:

P1010005-1.jpg

More to come as the days go by. Pleanty will be done including engine work, suspension, brakes, minor interior, wheels/tires. STAY TUNED