CARPET

Does anybody have a how to install brand new carpet in a 510. Do u have to stretch the carpet over the hump like with the tool they use to install carpet at home? Does it normally get glued on? And I am not talking about stock 510 carpet that is already pre cut to size ans shape. Any help

Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

automotive carpet is generally not stretched like house carpet. If you are trying to put a flat piece of carpet in your dime you are going to have to use some spray adhesive and it is going to need some very careful cutting and gluing to match all the curves, Good luck!

You don't use flat carpet. You buy a real kit, molded to fit.

Then, you don't NEED anything to hold it in place, because the seats / kickpanel trim / door sill trim / etc. all hold it in place.

Sorry, I had to LOL at the mental image of someone using a carpet kicker to install automotive carpet. :)

So how is the carpet held in place???

So far no one that's bought a kit from me has used any glue or snaps to hold it in place. I have them on both my 510's and haven't had to deal with any issues of it moving on me. It's cut so that it allows the fitment to have the carpet as flat as possible with the curves of the transmission tunnel.

Here's some pics of it installed on different 510's (all to my knowledge with no glue or anything) to give you a better idea.

In XeroX's 510:

l_4b5b33fb0df6427eaf5c783a537cf521.jpg

In Skib's 510 wagon:

Before carpet:

IMG_0006-2.jpg

After carpet

IMG_0008-8.jpg

In 70Goon's wagon:

img0269mm.jpg

img0268j.jpg

img0267k.jpg

In my 2 door 510:

dscn4622.jpg

dscn4646l.jpg

dscn4626.jpg

dscn4643.jpg

In my 68 wagon:

Before: Old nasty carpet that came with it.

a8a8_3.jpg

DSCN4280.jpg

DSCN4281.jpg

After Carpet: New and clean (well still needs a vacuum)

DSCN4307.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

datsun 510 carpet kits are junk.......i suggest that everyone makes a custom carpet kit for there car.

That's funny, out of everyone who's bought one of my kits hasn't said anything bad about them. Interesting you're saying that...have you bought one of mine? Just curious.

I'm just curious as to if he's refering to one of mine or not? I try to make them so they'll fit nice in 510's depending if they have a stock transmission hump or a larger one due to a swapped transmission...it would affect whether or not I made them wider or not. I pretty much make them wider so rather than making them too narrow. I'd rather error in the side of too much material than not enough. At worst your carpet will fold up at the doors rather than be too short. Anyway I'm not afraid of constructive critisism or feedback. :)

• Like 1

datsun 510 carpet kits are junk.......i suggest that everyone makes a custom carpet kit for there car.

This statement coming from a guy with 3 whopping posts. Damm this pisses me the F off!! Mario took the time to make a nice affordable carpet kit for the 510 people & that guy tries to trash all his hard work. I know for a fact his kits fit damm near perfect & are a major facelift. I dont see anybody else developing & selling affordable carpet kits out there,, especially Mr. 3 post dude !!!....counting to 10 now... :hmm:

• 6 months later...

So I got a chance to install my Carpet kit a few days ago. Mario is making a super High quality product here folks! Not to stroke him or anything but he could fairly charge more money for these kits. They are cut super nice, have good rubber backing, and look amazing. I have looked at both other kits readily available and I think Mario's is cheaper and better. Thanks for a great kit man!

That's funny, out of everyone who's bought one of my kits hasn't said anything bad about them. Interesting you're saying that...have you bought one of mine? Just curious.

Im going to sound proof first before carpeting.Will that make much difference in how the carpet kit fits? Probably not but thought I better ask.

Im going to sound proof first before carpeting.Will that make much difference in how the carpet kit fits? Probably not but thought I better ask.

Yes, clean the floor well, prep with some por15, sound deaden it, maybe a slight bit of carpet pad, then the carpet kit = one quiet ride!

Yes, clean the floor well, prep with some por15, sound deaden it, maybe a slight bit of carpet pad, then the carpet kit = one quiet ride!

Thanks for the advice,but the question was for 71dimer looks like he is the one who makes the kits. Right?

• 5 months later...

Got my carpet today from 71Dimer! Its awesome. Great fit and finish, nice thick material and heavy duty backing. Something I would expect to pay way more for from an expensive company. Thanks again Mario for the quick shipping, neat packaging, customer service and above average product!

Cant wait to get the seats in.

Side note - Mario what are the seats you have in your blue 2 door? Look like JDM WRX seats.

Got my carpet today from 71Dimer! Its awesome. Great fit and finish, nice thick material and heavy duty backing. Something I would expect to pay way more for from an expensive company. Thanks again Mario for the quick shipping, neat packaging, customer service and above average product!

Cant wait to get the seats in.

Side note - Mario what are the seats you have in your blue 2 door? Look like JDM WRX seats.

Hey glad you are happy with it Ryan. Sorry about the tracking number getting to you almost on the day you got it! The seats in my 2 door are from a Nissan 350Z. I have a 350Z so I like the seats, so I found a spare set and had a buddy of mine weld me some brackets so I can bolt them right onto the stock locations. :)

• 2 weeks later...