Heater control valve?

Spades

I put new O-rings in my '72 Datsun 510 wagon's heater control valve, but if the heater is switched off, it drips slightly over the course of a few days. I have been waiting to order a carpet kit and put it in until I figure out what to do about the leak.

I have been unable to find a heater control valve from any of our parts suppliers, does anyone know where to find one? Eventually I want a carpet kit, and it would be nice to be able to shut the heater off during summer months.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I already barked up the universal tree...there isn't much room under the dash, because of where the opening is for the exit of the hose, the valve has to be a pretty specific shape...

I will have to figure something else out, because $105 for what is normally a $15 part is too rich for my blood.

yeah, I already barked up the universal tree...there isn't much room under the dash, because of where the opening is for the exit of the hose, the valve has to be a pretty specific shape...

I will have to figure something else out, because $105 for what is normally a $15 part is too rich for my blood.

THe newest issue of the Dime Quarterly had a great article on rebuilding your heater box that included using a redliy available valve from another Datsun.

i rebuilt my heater a few years ago. i used a heater switch from a 70's 620, part # 27017-B5000, if i remember it was at or under $20.00, it does take some work though, as it is not drop in replacement, rather a valve that that you take apart and used what you need to repair you're original valve,it is a pain in the ass but the end result is worth it.

here is the site and person who inspired me to do it,and there is full pic's there to follow.

julie coop

• Like 1

i rebuilt my heater a few years ago. i used a heater switch from a 70's 620, part # 27017-B5000, if i remember it was at or under $20.00, it does take some work though, as it is not drop in replacement, rather a valve that that you take apart and used what you need to repair you're original valve,it is a pain in the ass but the end result is worth it.

here is the site and person who inspired me to do it,and there is full pic's there to follow.

julie coop

already tried to repair it...dis assembled it, cleaned it, and put new o-rings in it....no dice, still leaks. I will look into that dime quarterly article...

I used the 620 heater valve and disected it like on juliecoop turorial and when i put back together I used a little vaseline on the o rings and then i made sure I bent the tabs back securely and then put back together and tested it by running water into the core and capping off the ends and letting sit for a while to look for leaks that way I would not waste my time when putting back in. I would just take back out and rebuild again. make sure you clean the copper well as pits or debris or out of roundness can make for bad sealing. I have looked for new valves for a long time and could never find them not even when i go to japan. datsun used many different style for heater control valves.

Well, I was able to repair the heater valve...now that it holds pressure I found another problem when I shut the heat off...my heater core leaks now, LOL.

So, guess I will be pulling the heater core out and hopefully I can braze or solder whatever is leaking.

• 9 years later...

Digging up a Zombie thread...

cartoon-zombies-1.jpeg?w=205&h=300

I think I have, wait for it, TWO heater cores with seized valves. Would this suffice? It's cheap and cheerful here down under...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heater-Control-Valve-C3UZ18495A-YG133-For-FORD-E-F-SERIES-BRONCO-DODGE-VAN-FK/323725787758?epid=23024241000&hash=item4b5f8f826e:g:y3AAAOSwBUtcgQF5

6 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Digging up a Zombie thread...

cartoon-zombies-1.jpeg?w=205&h=300

I think I have, wait for it, TWO heater cores with seized valves. Would this suffice? It's cheap and cheerful here down under...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heater-Control-Valve-C3UZ18495A-YG133-For-FORD-E-F-SERIES-BRONCO-DODGE-VAN-FK/323725787758?epid=23024241000&hash=item4b5f8f826e:g:y3AAAOSwBUtcgQF5

I used one like that on my 521.... my heater core has a penny where the valve should be.... 

It will work, my problem now is I broke the cable I used to actuate it, so get a good cable.... 

I used a choke cable but the crimp near the knob let go, so I can open it but not close it....

• Like 1

So spiritgarage.com has no’s if you can read Japanese,  datsun1200.asia has them too. Another alternative would be to find one from a Toyota starlet kp61. 1981 is a good year.  It plastic but similar enough you could retro it.  I have one on my starlet but to be honest it has sat for 15 years un used and open without a hood so I doubt it would work as it’s pretty faded and getting chalky but I know yoga used the same control valve on a ton of cars.