mklotz70 Fairlane 500 wgn 1964

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Fairlane parts. I do have the 8.8 IRS and the front air struts from my Mark VIII already loaded on my trailer and ready to go. Most everything else I'm taking is GM. That thing would look sinister all aired out and cambered.

I didn't figure you had Fairlane parts, but I knew you had the Mark VIII....maybe you were selling off the motor/trans :) IRS? Sounds like way too much work to me!! :)

Looks good Mike! My next project will be non-Datsun too.

..uummm...ya...I wasn't supposed to have "another" project....I feel a bit overwhelmed just with what I have! :( Oh well....nothing says I have to do any of them except Mend.

So....I was supposed to be working on Mend....but I got the motor to crank, got the coil to fire....I think the wires were 180 out and the dizzy was about 30 degrees off. Couldn't really feel any compression in cyl 1. I tried to get it to light off, but no luck. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll have some time to pull the valve covers and see if they're out of whack. It keeps puffing up through the intake....so I'm thinking the valves might be too tight or stuck. That's about it for now as far as doing anything on the car. I'll go out now and try to get some interior shots and put them up.....then I'll have to let it sit.

I didn't figure you had Fairlane parts, but I knew you had the Mark VIII....maybe you were selling off the motor/trans :) IRS? Sounds like way too much work to me!! :)

I'm using the engine and transmission plus a bunch of little stuff on my '35 Sedan. I have no use for the suspension parts though. It might not be as tough as you think. It's a cradle assembly that attaches to the body with 4 bolts. Completely self contained except for upper bag and shock mounts. I think it could even be narrowed up to 4" without much trouble. Sorry for the horrible shot, it's on my trailer in my dark shop.

002-14.jpg

Here's a picture of the front air strut too, if you are interested.

003-18.jpg

I have an extra set of rear bags and the pump around here somewhere too. The air ride system is REALLY simple in these cars and could be made even simpler in a manual mode. Each bag has the solenoid mounted to it instead of a manifold system. There is no tank either. If there is a hose failure, you don't drop to the ground (but the pump will keep running).

Just thought I'd toss some pics up to keep your gears turning -- not a sales pitch or anything :wacko: .

tempting, but low on funds for a bit. Since I don't know if I have a good trans, I don't want to buy a temp motor. I wouldn't mind a temp motor/trans combo. I'd like to get away from the carb for it's final drive train.

It's got a 260 that's froze up. I don't think it's worth putting any money into. The plan at this point is to get a donor vehicle with a 5.0, 4spd AOD, posi. I'm really liking Driven's suggestion of using a Mark VII or VIII.

x2 on not wasting time on the 260. Uh, oh...

So....I was supposed to be working on Mend....but I got the motor to crank, got the coil to fire....I think the wires were 180 out and the dizzy was about 30 degrees off. Couldn't really feel any compression in cyl 1. I tried to get it to light off, but no luck. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll have some time to pull the valve covers and see if they're out of whack. It keeps puffing up through the intake....so I'm thinking the valves might be too tight or stuck. That's about it for now as far as doing anything on the car. I'll go out now and try to get some interior shots and put them up.....then I'll have to let it sit.

It may be a bit...need to get Mend done and save up some more money :)

...as for the 510 wgn....still undecided on it's fate. :) I should put it on the road so I can use it to chase parts for the Fairlane :)

..uummm...ya...I wasn't supposed to have "another" project....I feel a bit overwhelmed just with what I have! :( Oh well....nothing says I have to do any of them except Mend.

Just bustin' yer chops, Mike. I know the feeling. I'm bouncing between:

•  
  • getting the 914 back on the road to decide if it stays or goes.
  • getting the 411 roadworthy for Canby (June)
  • getting the stroker motor built and the roadster ready for Shasta (July)

Plus we're working with architect to finish/remodel the downstairs and new garage, with construction to begin (hopefully) mid-July.

...Heavy sigh....

Nice find Mike! I got $20 on Mike finishin Mend before Canby. Any Takers? Mike if you are willing you can hold the money for the winner! :lol:

Mike get after it do a good job and get Mend out of the way so you can build your "Gas Guzzling Grocery Getter" :lol:

Do you realize if my memory is correct that is what Darren Stevens drove in Bewitched! I hope that wagoon is not possed like Christine was!!! :hyper: :wacko: :cool:

• Like 1

I'd be happy to hold any money you want me to.....heh, heh, heh... :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets similar mpg to my wgn and NL. The NL doesn't sip gas like you'd think it would ....probably cause the pedal's on the floor all the time!

I remember the hot witch...that's about it.

Do you realize if my memory is correct that is what Darren Stevens drove in Bewitched!

They are running Bewitched on TV Land. My wife is addicted :blink: . Darrin drives a '65 Chevelle convertible then a '66(?) Corvair. Every car in that show is a Chevy. Must have been a corporate sponsorship. Tangent concluded.

They are running Bewitched on TV Land. My wife is addicted :blink: . Darrin drives a '65 Chevelle convertible then a '66(?) Corvair. Every car in that show is a Chevy. Must have been a corporate sponsorship. Tangent concluded.

There were a bunch of 'em back in the day:

1956-chevrolet-ad-6c.jpg

So...I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of some bullet tail light lenses I won on ebay. I just got a refund....they backed out of the transaction without even asking me. I'm gonna be really ticked if they don't give me first shot at them when they go back up for sale. The refund said the guy went into the hospital and didn't know when he could ship, so he refunded the money. :(

So...I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of some bullet tail light lenses I won on ebay. I just got a refund....they backed out of the transaction without even asking me. I'm gonna be really ticked if they don't give me first shot at them when they go back up for sale. The refund said the guy went into the hospital and didn't know when he could ship, so he refunded the money. :(

Sorry to hear that Mike. I'm dealing with some eBay B.S. as well. Although it dose suck for the guy having to go to the hospital. Well you'll find some other ones. Bad-ass car by the way. :thumbup:

Thanks. I'll feel a lot better about it once it's actually in my name :) I've got the DMV process started and the certified letter was sent just over a week ago. Hopefully, I'll get something back fairly soon and not have to wait the full 30 days. I'll be glad to get Mend done so I can have some time to play with this wgn. Maybe if I stop watching so much tv! :(

Hey Mike a few years back I had a guy on ebay not ship My item for 2 months. I emailed & called him and no answer, I just figured I had lost. Well about 2 months later I get a package. It was the item I had won on ebay from the guy. In the package was a letter of apology saying he was involved in a head on hit & run and had just resently been released from the hospital in a wheel chair. He was so upset about how long it took for me to receive me item that he sent 2 of them. Ya know it is funny because I never did leave him a negative feed back and when I went to give him a positive feedback after I received the item ebay would not let me leave a feedback said it was to long after the transaction.

Anyway I hope your experience turns out as well as mine.