mklotz70 Fairlane 500 wgn 1964

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certified letter came back today....ran to DMV and submitted it with the paperwork. They gave me a temp title and said they didn't see any reason it wouldn't go through!!! Next step....receive a title in my name in 3-4 wks :)

Certified letter came back today....ran to DMV and submitted it with the paperwork. They gave me a temp title and said they didn't see any reason it wouldn't go through!!! Next step....receive a title in my name in 3-4 wks :)

Man I know how good that feels!!! Just be glad you are not titling that thing in MA where they tax you on the retail value of a restored one, no matter what the shape is or what it says on your bill of sale! Which looking at the high value NADA price guide for this goon, would mean you would have just been taxed on $13,413!!

Sure you could write for amnesty, showing pictures of the shape it is really in. But I have yet to read about someone getting a refund.

It is enough to make a guy want to move, but thankfully, NADA has no record of sales figures for a '59 datsun! SO I got taxed on the Bill of Sale only.

The only way around this is if you have a friend who owns a dealership, and will write a receipt for you. They will tax you on that amount.

Moved some stuff around in the back yard...pulled a muscle in my arm in the process......but I got the lincoln in the back yard and out of the way up front :)

100_3003.jpg

100_3006.jpg

Seriously...one of these days I really need to finish up some projects so I can get rid of some of this crap!!!

100_3004.jpg

100_3005.jpg

Mike, washington still does have the value tax. Used to be, they would charge on how much you bought it for. That would make up sales tax. But to many people lied, and last time i registered a car I had to pay on what the car is worth bluebook. Lame, Cool tail light man!

I bought a truck as a kid when I lived north of Spokane....the guys mom did me up a bill of sale saying it was a gift so that I didn't have to pay the tax on it :)

There's a pair of the tail lights. They're actually the bottom option(the originals are a higher option and more people want them), but I like how clean they are. They're already on a shelf where they will sit for a couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...

DDDuuuuuuuuuuuddde!!! :o

I love the late 50's and early 60's wagons! Holy cow man, this whole thread has eluded me until today! Very cool!

Got any new pics? :hyper:

...so I got a letter from DMV yesterday....not a title :( I guess I have to fill out more paperwork and try again. If I can't get a title, it will get parted or sold for parts and I'll find a different project :)

Ray of hope! I sat down to read through the DMV paperwork...didn't look promising....so I got online and paid the $1.95 to PeopleFinders and got the contact info they had on the previous owner. The first 4 numbers were no good. The fifth and last number was good!! I chatted with Emma for about 20 minutes, explaining the situation and what I needed. She said she'd be happy to do the paperwork. I'm headed out now to get that done and in the mail to her, but I just had to share some of the story.

She had to sell the car due to a bad divorce. She absolutely loved the car and it killed her to sell it. She sold it to a young kid that never registered it and she ended up getting parking tickets because of that. She has wondered about the car all these years and has always worried about the title not being transferred properly. She's happy to hear that the title will finally be transferred and that the car will be brought back to running/driving condition.

Here's the best part..............she always called the car BETSY!!!! How awesome is that??!! So...from now on, my Fairlane will be referred to as "Betsy" :)

Right on, gotta love it when the previous owners help out like that.

I just went through sorta the same thing. Went through the glovebox found a phone number and was able to get ahold of the guy I bought my truck from 5 years ago. He met me and got the title transferred last week. Next time I'm transferring any titles immediately.

Emma (previous owner) totally rocks!!! She called me in the middle of the day yesterday to let me know that she had just received the envelope about 10 min ago. She said her hubby helped her fill out the forms and put them back in the other pre-addressed, pre-paid envelope. He was already out the door on his way to the post office to mail it back to me!!!! Holy Cow!!! I was already very grateful that she was willing to help me out with the paperwork....but then for her to do it so quickly!! WOW!! Even more wonderful is how she called me just to let me know it was on it's way back!!! I don't have to spend a week wondering where it's at. Totally awesome lady!!! :)

At some point, Emma and her kids will probably check this thread out, so I hope they don't mind me sharing some of the story/history. :)

Emma owned Betsy for just under 15 years, as best she can recall. Her kids loved the car as much as she did. Emma would take them out fishing in it when her son was 10...he's now 30. She bought the car in Bueana Park, CA from the original owner. They moved to Roseburg, Oregon with Betsy in tow behind a big Ryder truck. She loved Oregon's fishing and especially the Salmon! In the bitter divorce, she not only had to give up Betsy, but she also lost her gift shop and all it's inventory. She moved back to St Louis, MO where she was from and married . Her mom, who had given her up for adoption as a baby, got back in touch with her. Emma, who didn't know her mother, made the sacrifice to sell her home and move to Arkansas to take care of her. Her mom passed in 2008. Emma and her hubby are stuck in AR and really don't like it there. In haste, they had bought a house there for about $100K without an inspection. I'm guessing, but I think they're stuck there due to the economy and problems with the house. Somewhere along the way, Emma lost a lung to cancer. She's 68 now and her hubby is 74. He's working as a census taker for some extra money. So...everyone...please send some positive energy out for this wonderful lady and see if we can convince the universe to bring her some great stuff!!!

Since Emma was the last titled owner....that makes me the 3rd owner :) The rest of the people in between were simply custodians until I was ready for this project :)

Thanks! After the original call to Emma, I went to DMV to make sure I had the right paperwork...the clerk said that if I get the bill of sale and the lost title app back with her signatures on them, it should be a done deal on the title. I heard that the first time too, so we'll see what happens. :) If they say I can register it, I just may buy the plates for it before they change their minds!!!!!

Good thoughts sent AR way. :D

Not sure how it works in Oregon, but I was able to use the original plates on the red truck. It was last registered in 99 and still had the origional issue plates.

With collector vehicle tags, I am able to run one plate in the rear (the original), so the original front will go on the wall in the garage. :cool: