"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

Yeah, especially if they are in one piece and not rusted to death!

This is the first week I bought it, I lowered it and replaced the slave cylinder, of course, and it now rides on red 16" steel wheels with polished caps. Other than a recovered seat it is completely stock, miserable on the freeway and now way too low to drive. It is good to look at and dream about driving after the L20 swap in store.

white-06_2.jpg

this is yours?..... awsome!!!!!.... i saw this and a few others when i bought my truck and was trying to figure out what to do with mine...if i may ask, what wheels are they?...

and yes, the freeway is torture for the driver. laugh.gif

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this request was for DJDITTY...hope this is what you need. let me know if there is anything else i could help with

these are pictures of the tail light removal and the guts of that area:

Before removal:

CIMG0334.jpg

phillips head screw on top:

CIMG0335.jpg

my trim removes after that screw is gone (yeah, the pup likes to help too):

CIMG0336.jpg

there is a bottom screw which i have successfully broke so nothing to remove here:

CIMG0347.jpg

for me, its a lift and pull method to get the casing out (there is no gasket or weather strip here)

CIMG0339.jpg

CIMG0340.jpg

CIMG0341.jpg

then here is the back of the light:

CIMG0343.jpg

here is the light fully removed (the bulbs have a rubber piece that slips into the case to hold..mine are pretty shot and one has electrical tape for a quick fix)

CIMG0346.jpg

Thanks Burrito!

The wheels were a Pomona swap meet find 16x6 and 16x7 front/back. Great deal and fit perfectly on my 521. I needed to do a little fender lip pinching on the NL but they fit fine. These were intended for a Chevrolet but the seller changed his mind after powder coating them red. I bought the caps at the same swap meet. Tires were a little trickier and more expensive than anticipated but they sure make a difference in handling and looks. Over all it was probably about $650 for the set.

Thanks Burrito!

The wheels were a Pomona swap meet find 16x6 and 16x7 front/back. Great deal and fit perfectly on my 521. I needed to do a little fender lip pinching on the NL but they fit fine. These were intended for a Chevrolet but the seller changed his mind after powder coating them red. I bought the caps at the same swap meet. Tires were a little trickier and more expensive than anticipated but they sure make a difference in handling and looks. Over all it was probably about $650 for the set.

seriously?...pomona?.... pomona swap is awsome but never find much. i dont think i look good enough and my girlfriend burns-out 1/2 way through the day... i am going to try irwindale this weekend. i think their swapmeet is this weekend. hopefully snag some ideas and/or parts

so I removed the clutch slave cylinder and played with it a little bit to get an idea how it works but it just fell apart when I took it off... I am assuming I may need a new one? I also noticed that the hose going into the clutch slave was really close to the (what I believe) the torsion bar.. Is that normal

finally, the piece/arm that was attached to the clutch slave had alot of play when the slave wasn't attached to it and I was wondering does that mean anything?... Sounded like metal clanking metal

I would have taken pictures but I was doing this at dusk and visibility was poor

thanks so far for everyone who was helping me...once I get past this hurdle I will post some updates of some real progress

going to be on a pause for a while... ran into some money issues (spending too much and not looking at my bank account)

next in store i am going to get some needed tools

-engine puller/hoist

-engine stand

-better jack

-possible pneumatic wrench and compressor

its cool though, they invented harbor freight for us budget minded people and the 20% coupon

also try to pick up more parts and network up some more contacts for the 320

see u soon

next in store i am going to get some needed tools

-engine puller/hoist

-engine stand

-better jack

some times HF cheap means buying more than once. :angry:

i do like the compact lo-pro (blue) 'racing' jack.

just barely fits under the sedan x-member

wait till its on sale, i think i spent ~$45 w/the coupon. :)

buy a hoist and ill trade a stand to borrow it ;)

The challenge with the 510 slave is that the bleeder valve comes out on the side....right at the torsion bar....but I'll bet the bore is the same and the guts might swap smile.gif

Since he has a floor shift trans, there's a good chance the 520/521 slave will bolt right up. On the column shift trans, the slave is an odd duck and the bolts pattern is way different. Making the adapter bracket is on my to-do list smile.gif

okay, so i cried wolf about this budget siesta but this pesty slave cylinder is killing me..... here is the question:

here is a photo of a fairlady pics clutch slave.... see the spring?.... my arm has a little notch for a spring (all chewed up but its there) but it does not have a notch on the slave cylinder.... am i missing something? my pic is the bottom one

P5280039.jpg

CIMG0317.jpg

huh.gif

I went back and looked at some of your original pics. First off....you have a '63 NL...guaranteed it had a column shift trans originally.....so the trans you have in there is from a later model.

Looking at this pic....you can see the arm was cut off at the hole and a new hole for the spring was added. The bracket on the tranny bolt is for the other end of the return spring. The slave should have the hose inline like the one in the roadster pic.

Copy2ofCIMG0311.jpg

My guess is that a previous owner didn't have the spring hooked up. Since the arm and the slave won't return all the way without the spring, the slave kept pumping up a bit and the pushrod would get adjusted so the clutch would release. That's probably why it's so far out of adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

FUH-INALLY i got my clutch slave cylinder....damn snail mail! (still dont even know if this is the right one) frantics.gif

i hope i get to put it on this weekend but i got daddy-daughter duty so we'll see

i also need a spring (i think)

anyways i'll keep you posted.

CIMG0032.jpg

and yes, thats poop.gif-bay in the backdrop b.gif

CIMG0031.jpg

That's a real clean 320 you have there. Hopefully you get that issue resolved. I always treated the trans in my 320 very nice because I knew I never wanted to run into anything like this.

First off....you have a '63 NL

Not necessarily. The very early production '64s did have the '63 front ends on them, mine included. I'm guessing the ID plate does have '64 on it since someone put a "1964" plate on it.

but the round nut is on the old cylinder....

any good brake/clutch bleed kits out there?

:cool:

my kid! doesnt last long enough for all 4 brakes though. :lol:

gravity bleed, then usually 1 - 2 times, back on the hiway!

i rented a random unit from vatozone before, it was OK

Not necessarily. The very early production '64s did have the '63 front ends on them, mine included. I'm guessing the ID plate does have '64 on it since someone put a "1964" plate on it.

ya...that's possible. I don't know if there's a way to get an actual build date on them. Good chance it was built at the end of '63. Back then, the date got put on when they sold. It would be interesting to find out if they had a specific cutoff day when they switched or if the switch happened when the '63 parts ran out. That switch date could have been in early Jan. ....maybe? :)

ya...that's possible. I don't know if there's a way to get an actual build date on them. Good chance it was built at the end of '63. Back then, the date got put on when they sold. It would be interesting to find out if they had a specific cutoff day when they switched or if the switch happened when the '63 parts ran out. That switch date could have been in early Jan. ....maybe? smile.gif

well, for my Datsun... i'm stamped as a 1964... but if you look at my first roll of pics i have a 63 front end.... would that make me a 63 and a 1/2 wink.gif

i used to have a ford ranger with the half issue... funny thing was i had a fuel filter for both model years (87-88) hooked up and inline... trusty ol' haynes manual biggrin.gif ... help figure that out