"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

AA(beep-beep)MCO

seriously! at least ask if they can still get parts.

angry.gif

spendy, but they were been able to to get some early datsun parts, esp when common between others.

it looks like you snuck in and parked on the curb! lol.gif

is that the 7-11 on venice/sepulveda?

no....though i know where that 7-11 is at...this one was in el monte... i was doing a donut run in the 320 biggrin.gif

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zip ties to secure a slave? First time I've heard that one! If you are leaking clear brake fluid then it is the slave. Take a pic of that puppy and post it! If it is the slave then you are way better off than the trans.

have someone push your clutch pedal while looking at the slave. Is is pushing the clutch at all? Check your master cylinder. Is it low?

:blink: a bad/zip tyed SLAVE cylinder would prevent shifting.

the grinding could be the shift fork rattling around in side against the flywheel...

find the correct bolts and replace it!

i was doing a donut run in the 320

gotta keep the 5-0 happy ;)

Zip ties to secure a slave? First time I've heard that one! If you are leaking clear brake fluid then it is the slave. Take a pic of that puppy and post it! If it is the slave then you are way better off than the trans.

have someone push your clutch pedal while looking at the slave. Is is pushing the clutch at all? Check your master cylinder. Is it low?

yeah, i was trying anything just to calm that rattling noise. it wasnt smart but it was all i had at the moment. i should have tried duct tape...laugh.gif

MANNNNnnnnnn, there is leaking everywhere!... thought it was the clutch slave cylinder but only when i removed the slave boot did it start leaking. it is tranny fluid for sure because that fluid stinks.... now i really dont know what to do... any thoughts:

here is the fluid leaking past the tire:

CopyofCopyofCIMG0314.jpg

here is residual leaking around the shift area... i'm going from the least bad leak to the ugly leak:

CopyofCIMG0313.jpg

here is the clutch slave when i flicked the boot off...then the fluid started to flow

CopyofCopyofCIMG0310.jpg

here is the tranny leak.... F*%$!

Copy2ofCIMG0311.jpg

it may be hard to see because of the pics but the leak looks like its around the eng/tranny mounting area but i dunno:

CIMG0302.jpg

CIMG0298.jpg

but, like i said on the drive....once in gear, everything was good... i lost the clutch (couldnt engage) and thats when i pulled over.. the symtoms say bad clutch slave cylinder but there was no leaking till i pulled the boot a little...why is the tranny fluid leaking?

and the tranny fluid was freshly replaced.

this is the backward step....people who hated me for buying this 320 are rubbing it in my face.

it still looks like brake/hydraulic fluid and not gear oil!

clean it up, replace the slave, then decide if its a tranny issue.

people who hated me for buying this 320 are rubbing it in my face.

PATIENCE!

revenge is best served cold! ;)

it still looks like brake/hydraulic fluid and not gear oil!

clean it up, replace the slave, then decide if its a tranny issue.

PATIENCE!

revenge is best served cold! wink.gif

this is where i saw the transmission leak out though

see that little open area in the middle of the tranny?...right there.

CIMG0302.jpg

i dont know if its a seal or something.. my weakest point on vehicles are the transmissions but i know manual transmissions rarely ever go out.

here is residual leaking around the shaft

leaky shaft?

Adult-Diapers.jpg

IIRC that seal is easily replaced w/the shaft off.

good time to change the fluid too ;)

the drain (that hole) willl drip if the slave was leaking inside.

The rear main seal...the leak at the drive shaft is an easy fix. The rear seal is the same all the way through the Hardbody pickups, so if the parts store doesn't show a listing for your truck, tell them it's a '76 620.

The lead coming out of the weep hole under the clutch...the hole at the bottom of the bell housing, can either be from the front main seal on the tranny, or the rear main seal on the eng. If you changed fluid in both just before you started driving it, you'll need to smell the fluid. Stinky, cat piss smell is gear oil from the tranny. You'll need to pull the motor to get to either of the seals.

If the slave cylinder popped out of position from becoming unbolted...you may be able to put it back together and be good to go. If it over extends, the cup pops out and the fluid comes out. If you still have fluid in your resevoir, then it's a slow leak around the slave cylinder and it will have to get rebuilt or replaced.

Finding a floor shift trans to go behind the E1 should not be too hard to do, but I kinda doubt you actually have a bad tranny.

You can get the factory manual at olddatsuns.com :)

So similar to my 521 leaking! As is being mentioned I was told it is the rear seal on the engine block, under the flywheel. But people have driven a long time with leaky rear seals unless it is a massive failure. Just keep up on topping off the oil!

But I also suspect your slave is the main problem still. Replace or repair or rebuild and report back!

If you can't tell the fluid by smell....pull the dipstick....if the fluid that drips off of it looks the same, it's eng oil. Typically, your eng oil will be darker. Just make sure you post up what you find. Lot's of guys will follow this and the troubleshooting help doesn't do any good if the final answers aren't posted :)

i will post any updates as soon as possible..

but on the topic of restoration, i realized i am no where i need to be based on the threads i have been reading. if i dont have a garage, engine puller, engine stand, metal bender, and welder i am literally (S.O.L)... i have a space about 2 feet around the truck to do most of my work and if i want to go with a mild resto i know i need help.

but what should i do first?

- my thought was get the lil datto up and running again

- pull the engine and tranny and repaint and clean it all up

- pull all the chrome and get them cleaned and dipped again.

- lift the frame and clean, strip, fill, and fix the body

- clean the chassis and repaint all the parts, add new bushings, and cleanup everything...maybe bag it with the help by "bagged320"

- get a new wiring harness and install that

- paint

- etc.....

what is a good starting point?...assuming once the datto is running again

...and in the meantime, fix the slave cylinder and enjoy driving it :) Spend your first $100 on a AAA membership. :) Seriously...it's a lot more fun to drive when you're not worried about getting a tow.

...and in the meantime, fix the slave cylinder and enjoy driving it smile.gif Spend your first $100 on a AAA membership. smile.gif Seriously...it's a lot more fun to drive when you're not worried about getting a tow.

you know whats the funny thing,,, thats the first thing i bought when the truck had its issue on the freeway. literally. i had to upgrade and renue my plus for the 100 mile tow because i was 20 miles from home. and i renewed it right on the freeway.

yes. i recommend AAA. biggrin.gif

but what should i do first?

what is a good starting point?...assuming once the datto is running again

get the electrical sorted first!

if youre gonna pull the engine w/o a place to complete it, will it ever get done??? :no:

drive it like it is while you figure what can be done by you, while you accumulate more tools!;)

enjoy the ride! AAA will take you home! :rofl:

met up with a fellow datto owner (kwoo510) this weekend and picked up some needed parts for my LN320. cant wait to see when he comes out with his "vg" swap for his L320.

engine and transmission:

CIMG0322.jpg

CIMG0330.jpg

CIMG0328.jpg

CIMG0324.jpg

also picked up a radiator, heater box, front drum set up, and some extra parts

CIMG0321.jpg

here is the thing. my transmission on the truck right now looks way different than the one i picked up... i dont know if it can be a direct swap or not.. can anyone differentiate?

also took a picture of the clutch slave thats on the truck right now....it is a threaded bolt but should there be a nut on the end of it?... dont know, it came like that

CIMG0319.jpg