Joel's burubado 610 Bluebird-U SSS

I've ordered the belts, still waiting ont hem though.

I brought my heater assembly in to work today hoping i could get someone local to bend a bit of pipe so i didn't need to use a crazy bent rubber one, but noone bends pipe! wtf?

I've found a suitable rubber one at the supercheap store. it's for a holden, i just need to cut the ends to suit.

on a more on-topic note, my rear springs just arrived icon_biggrin.gif they are pretty heavy and seem to be very firm which is nice. I just hope it lowers it substancially. I'll be insalling my n12 pulsar bump stops at the same time as the springs hopefully.

Last night I finished installing the KE30 drivers seat, just have to do the passenger one now.

I'm buying a handbrake conversion kit from datsport.

Dash mounted e-brake is no fun!

http://www.datsport.com/Floor_mount_handbrake.html

made for 510, will modify to fit mine if necessary.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have specs, just a cheap ebay find. the seller says they are 2" lowered and heavy duty.

I can confirm they are heavy duty - very solid + heavy.

I think my car has been raised in the rear for towing so should lower a lot more than 2" i hope!

i ordered the klippan belts listed above.

they are for a 73 holden hq coupe

K1513 is a normal pillar retractor seat belt

K7099 is a 250mm drop link.

I'll let you know how they go.

Time for an actual update i think...

i've finished the heater reconditioning.

Pics:

Image0571.jpg

Image0572.jpg

Image0573.jpg

Image0574.jpg

Image0575.jpg

the car's bum is now low!

LHS is original springs which i suspect are raised. RHS is lowered 1600 springs

Image0577.jpg

the result:

Image0578.jpg

only problem is that i now need wider wheels to compensate for camber ;)

Image0579.jpg

Image0580.jpg

Image0581.jpg

Image0582.jpg

KE30 coupe driver's seat, passenger one is going in this week

Image0583.jpg

Image0584.jpg

hang ring installed too now that it's low.

Image0585.jpg

i installed it pretty high for convenience factor plus it will be going lower later on anyway.

Image0586.jpg

used an modified n13 exa hatch hinge to utilize the bumper bolts.

Image0587.jpg[/img]

the belt, buckle and drop sash:

Image0589.jpg

thread the pillar mount off the seat belt:

Image0590.jpg

thread the drop sash on:

Image0591.jpg

it is now converted to a hardtop/pillarless type belt:

Image0592.jpg

all installed:

Image0593.jpg

(i recycled the rubber cover for the sill mount off the old belt's roof mount, the plastic retractor cover came off some seat belts i removed from an old car)

I'll probably just leave it one colour orange, it's grown on me... thanks for the comment :)

I got the hang rings through the club im in. Pretty hard hold of compared to a lot of parts, they aren't supplied to just anyone, you need to have the right kinda car :P

people don't often want to sell them because too many s13 silvia drifters and stuff are popping up with em now, they have no idea what they represent :P they think it's just a 'drift toy'

if you really want, you can get them off yahoo auctions, just make sure the seller is willing to post to you, most don't ship internationally which means you'll have to go through a broker which pushes up the price. Not sure what you car's like but make sure it fits into the shakotan or kyusha category otherwise you may get laughed at by those 'in the know' :P

uhm dude they definately aren't suitable for towing with...

they are just a plastic ring with a rubber strap.

they are from trains in japan and are designed for people to hold on to when standing up. There's no way they could support more than a possible 100kg...

uhm dude they definately aren't suitable for towing with...

they are just a plastic ring with a rubber strap.

they are from trains in japan and are designed for people to hold on to when standing up. There's no way they could support more than a possible 100kg...

hmm ok, so it' serves no true purpose at all other than "jdm yo"? fair enough...

It's part of the culture behind this type of car. They were traditionally stolen out of trains and hung on their cars as a sign of rebellion.

So no, it's not 'JDM yo'

Both seat belts installed now. I'm going to have a bit of a drive tomorrow :) looking forward to it!

I ordered a floor handbrake setup and an accelerator pedal today :)

the handbrake should make driving a bit more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Ok, after an easter weekend full of blackened skin and busted knuckles I ended up with a driveable car with two front seats, seatbelts, a back seat and a bare floor.

Personally, i think the minimalism in a bare floor is pure art.

The bare floor was done mostly out of necessity to ensure there was no rust hiding under the tar then killing any that I found. I had a bare floor in the pulsar and I was looking forward to doing it with this car.

It must be because it feels more like a car instead of a lounge room or something because I really enjoy it.

There is no tar left in the rear footwells, I've still got a bit to chip away in the front, but I am satisfied that I have removed any and all rust from the previously leaky heater.

Image0596.jpg

Image0597.jpg

Image0598.jpg

painted back seat lol better than torn brown!

Image0599.jpg

a few 'before shots' of the engine bay. I painted a few things black that werent masked up when the car was resprayed, orange rubbers annoy me.

Image0600.jpg

Image0601.jpg

Image0602.jpg

I discovered that the left side was higher than the right, i looked underneath and I hadn't set the spring correctly in the seat, I jacked it up and ride height is remedied. It's nice and low on both sides now. :P

Image0603.jpg

Image0604.jpg

I FINALLY found one! was browsing thru rollaclub for parts for the sister-in-law's ke55 hardtop and i found them - $5! fkn bargain! :D :D

sunshade.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i've been slack with the photo uploading....

HANDbrake:

removing the tar strips on the tunnel reveled these holes which are for the HANDbrake in the jap market car:

Image0605.jpg

The 510 datsport HANDbrake coversion kit fits here perfectly!

(http://www.datsport.com/Floor_mount_handbrake.html)

Image0606.jpg

The only issue is that the cable isn't long enough:

Image0617.jpg

I fixed it using an M5 wire tensioner thing from bunnings. Perfect!

I'll get a photo up here of the fix when I can.

win:

Image0621.jpg

I have bought a 'drift button' for epicness from the states because the fuckheads here want $25+ for them for the 'fully sik' value. I just want one to make it easier to use! I had one in my silvia (cost me $5 back then FFS) and it makes it easier to use for sure. If i want to have a go at motorkhana then it will be handy! I would have gone ghetto and used a doorknob or something but i'm trying to do things properly on this car.. Oh, i removed the spring from the lever too, very important ;)

I was toying around with the idea of leaving the dash brake in there for a bit of fun... I even wrote 'EJECT' on it, but then decided to remove it because i don't like it.

I bought these off ebay for the rear 1/4's:

Image0609.jpg

I remembered that I had some near new (about 100km travelled) Monroe GT gas shocks for an n12 pulsar lying around... So i decided to see if i could fit them to the 610..

Image0619.jpg

shorter... very nice...

so i drilled the fuck out of the n12 bushes so I could get them out. The 610 bushes pushed in with a bit of effort and they bolted up and everything was fine and dandy and the car sits about 10mm lower in the rear.

Image0620.jpg

I spent most of my weekend fixing leaks and other things on the mechanical area of my car..

I also removed the pollution gear from the carbies which wasn't hooked up anyway and make blanking plates and fun stuff....

Image0622.jpg

I discovered the fuel tank vent was hooked to itself for some dumb reason... no wonder why the car reaked of fuel. No more stink! yay!

One of the worst leaks was the sump.....

Sump contents:

- Residual oil left over from draining

- some gasket goo

- oil sludge

And this.......

Image0623.jpg

to give you an idea of size, the rectangle shard is 4"x1"

so in other words fkn huge...

I’ve been wondering why the car’s got a new head and everything’s immaculate and rebuilt....

From the looks of things, the timing chain’s busted...

And it’s smashed the head

They have replaced the head and everything connected to it, but forgot to drop the sump and make sure nothing got down there..

Apparently something did... Lol

Luckily nothing’s damaged above the sump and the oil strainer was intact...

I was originally cursing the nasty gasket which looks like a homemade rubber thing:

Image0624.jpg

Now I am grateful it was so cr@p...... Otherwise I may not have found this before all hell broke loose.

On a more positive note the engine’s looking nice and leaking less..

Painted the rocker cover, airbox, timing cover and blanking plates textured satin black

Image0625.jpg

Image0626.jpg

I'm going to buy an electric fuel pump this week and hook that up so i don;'t have fuel lines all over the fucking place.

I ran out of black paint and had heaps of cans of red so guess what colour the sump went?

Image0627.jpg

I would have preferred pink......

I thought it wasn't bright enough so i clearcoated it for shinyness.

it amused me for a while...

BTW if you are going to drop the sump off one of these, just remove the engine to do it the easy way.... I had to pull out the front suspension, steering and crossmember to get it off! Took a lot longer than pulling the motor!

<3

this just arrived:

Image0630.jpg

It's a firewall plug which enables you to mount your coil under the dash in a non-dodgy way. I've always just stuck a lead thru a grommet in the past but this seems like a better idea...

I've printed out the papers i need to transfer to qld rego. All i need now is the all important rwc...

oh and i need to put it back together too hehe

i need to put the sump back on with the new gasket, bolt the suspension, steering and crossmember back on then pull the tailshaft to replace the seal, then i need to wire up my new fuel pump and route the fuel lines in a matter which i see fit.

THEN i will get rwc.

this needs to be done by the 29th when the act rego runs out and i have been comandeered for the long weekend which means after work working all this week!

yay