hydraulic clutch hose for 521

I got a slave cylinder at auto zone, but it has a larger thread patern than the line in my 521. Can someone give me some advice on this? Thanks, Hurley

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go out on a limb here, and assume that stock 521 slave cylinders, use a 3/8 x 24 thread on the flare nuts just like the brakes.

However, 521 trucks are almost 40 years old, there is a good chance it is not stock.

You might need a different slave cylinder, or maybe a different hose.

Many parts from 620 trucks will fit on a 521, look the same, and work the same, but 620 parts are more common, but they have metric threads.

I found a metric fitting wheel cylinder on one of my 521 trucks, and somebody had made a brake line with M10 x 1 flare nut on one end, and the stock 3/8 x 24 flare nut on the other, to make it work.

its that damn master catalog screw up just like the 521 32kb02 inner wheel bearings. all parts stores say they have them but the thread pattern is wrong at every store!!!. my next choice would be nissan.cc but u need to have the factory part number. i'll try to dig it up later.

oops my bad i thought you ment the hose itself. the last 2 hoses i bought were the wrong threads. rock auto and schmucks.

its that damn master catalog screw up just like the 521 32kb02 inner wheel bearings. all parts stores say they have them but the thread pattern is wrong at every store!!!. my next choice would be nissan.cc but u need to have the factory part number. i'll try to dig it up later.

oops my bad i thought you ment the hose itself. the last 2 hoses i bought were the wrong threads. rock auto and schmucks.

I am looking for the hose. The slave cylinder that I bought was the only one they carry, I I am looking for a hose that has the right threads.

As much trouble as you are having, I would take your slave cylinder off the transmission, take it to the parts store, and try the new hose in the slave cylinder. Take the old hose also. find a brake line fitting that fits the old hose, and then see if the same fitting fits the new hose.

As much trouble as you are having, I would take your slave cylinder off the transmission, take it to the parts store, and try the new hose in the slave cylinder. Take the old hose also. find a brake line fitting that fits the old hose, and then see if the same fitting fits the new hose.

thats a great idea except at 40 years old they're all special order parts from warehouses. not a regular stock item to match up at the parts house. luckily i live in a town with a place that can make them if you save the old fittings. wolfsco. williams oil filter service company.

i would like to know if the dealer or nissan.cc have the right ones. let us know what you find hurley.

So I bounced over to Autozone.com, and there was not a slave cylinder for a 521 listed. There was a slave cylinder for a 1973 620 truck. I am guessing this is the clutch slave cylinder you got at Autozone

I believe 620 trucks are all metric fasteners. Hydraulic brake fittings on a 620, and this is just a guess, are metric M10 x 1, the closest equivalent to the 3/8 x 24 thread used on your 521.

A lot of 620 parts look the same, as 521 parts, and are the same size, but the threads are different.

Based on all these assumptions I have made, I know, big risk, these are your options.

Get a 521 slave cylinder. This may be hard, the part may be NLA (no longer available)

Get a custom flexible hose, that connects the steel brake line coming from your clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder. This will have to be special made in all probability. One member knows a place in Seattle that can do this, Oil filter service, in Portland Oregon can also probably make this part.

Take the flare nut off the steel brake line, that comes from your clutch slave cylinder, and replace it with a metric flare nut, and get a flexible hose for a 620 truck, and replace the hose, and use the slave cylinder you already have.

Replace the entire clutch hydraulic system, with 620 parts. This assumes that the 620 clutch master cylinder is an easy bolt in, and the 620 steel line is routed the same in the engine bay.

All these suggestions are based on me guessing and assuming what you actually got. You need to take all the parts connected to each other, and identify what type of threads are actually used, so you can make the appropriate choice to get your clutch working again.

There is also another possibility. Rebuild your old clutch slave cylinder, if it is not too bad to rebuild.

Hey guys, would a hydraulic 3/8-24 to M10-1 adapter work? Like this one. They have other options too. I am wondering myself about a 3/8-24 to 1/8-27 in order to run wilwood and other M/C's.

(But I can't find a 1/8-27 to 3/8-24 listed anywhere, which seems silly since the standard racing fitting on M/C's seems to be 1/8-27.)

=&data[catalog]=1&data[itemcode]=1053190"]Adapter

1053190.jpg

Take your new slave cylinder & your old hose to a place that makes hoses. Call around for one that make hydraulic brake hoses. Tell them what you need they will either have an adapter or make you a hose that will work on both ends. It is simple.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.