makya

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I now have two duallys. Makya delivered His last night so this morning I took a few pix after adding the sleeper shell that I have owner for a while.

62022shell3.jpg

62022shell2.jpg

62022shell1.jpg

I have decided to take the rear longbed off of My project and weld that frame to this one, if possible. This truck will then look the same as shown here but be 14" longer. Also it will have the Chevy Vega bumper, VW beetle taillights and the filled bed rail areas that have been done. I will be doing "something" with those extruded side windows. I have no idea what. I hate to say it but I cann't stand them. There must be something that would match better if even just an old van window like the shaped ones of the 70s. Maybe just fill them in altogether. Ideas??? I had thought that maybe the same shape in a bubble, if it can be made, might look OK, but who knows. Try to imagine the truck 14" longer with this sleeper shell. On top of the shell, a "wing" like the drag racing or river full size duallys install. About 7" lower in the front with an airdam, 3" lower in the rear. These rims powdercoated with stock 620 hubcaps and beauty rings. Possibly some running boards like the 80s Chevy duallys and I don't know yet what type of headlight treatment.

As for the 4 door cab on the other dually project? It will now be finished and placed back on it's original frame. The fourdoor then will get a full restoration. That project will follow this project. Stay tuned!

Indeed I do!!!! I'm just going to let Rich weld the frames together, hang the gas tank, plumb the brakelines and have a driveshaft built first........Then later..........................................................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I imagine the rims are a couple of inches apart in between to allow room for sidewall flex. Air would leak out between unless welded together.

Nope, you wouldn't believe it until you see it. It's one big wide rim with two sets of beads on it. there's even a spare.

The one thing I wanted to do Mike, was figure out a fix for those windows also! If you decide to put interior panels in it you might be able to mount a larger fixed widow in it, or have one of those old power window units that were all the rage in the '80's. I think JCWhitney is still selling those. A rear window from a frontier crew cab might work.

We just got back home, so I'll be taking care of a few things here this week;)

EDIT: OH! I call Dibs on the rims if you ever decide to replace them! I will want to build a Dually in the future.

Edited by makya

So this was the trip to Arizona, shoulda known... :D

What I'd do if I had the truck some $ and time. Glass the windows out and cut a custom bubble window shape, 70's style and tint that shit. Get rid of those wheels (I heard they are a pain in the ass) and phantom duallie it, nice wide fatties in the back. Shoot it black and set as low as possible :cool:

• 5 months later...

In Santa Fe Springs, Calif. This dually was sitting in the Pick-A-Part parking lot!!! Look closely............. it is a LONGBED!!!! Boy, how much frame welding work would have this saved Me if I could have purchased it?!?!?!

duallyblue3.jpg

duallyblue2.jpg

duallyblue1.jpg

I know that these are awful photos (cell phone) but as rare as a truck as this is I wanted to show and prove that this company also build a few longbeds. Maybe another one is floating around. And YES, I left My phone number under the windshield wiper after waiting around for a while. No response yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Mike, I know this is an old thread, but I was just looking at the photos above and that is much different than the "other" dually. It's got a big six lug pattern the same as the U-haul Toyotas. I've never seen that. It would make it a "true" one ton dually!