The"other"Dually

makya

I found this truck on CL on a whim. my wife and I were trying to get rid of her 86 t-bird, but couldn't find any takers. Just for kicks I did a search for Datsuns while posting my ad, and found this!

Turned out they were moving & couldn't take it with them(Non-op), and they needed a car for their son to get to work and back. So we traded straight across. The engine was apart, front seats were shot, the paint faded unevenly, and the drivers front fender and door were dented, but I'd been looking for one of these off and on since I saw one about 12 years ago.

And after seeing Steroid's four door, I couldn't pass this up!

I pulled the motor from my 4X and put it in here, and it's going to need A LOT of work to make it what I want, but I got it running today, and got my temp sticker from DMV.

Pics, as requested by the persistent ]2edeye.;)

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find & a rare one too. Not many of this body style left at all either in the yards or on the roads. Wont take much to get it road worthy really! Does it have a bench seat in the rear? Im sure you have big plans for it but heres a few ideas..keep in mind i love to alter things...:lol: Toss the mirrors & rear bumper in the can..lower it a few inches...shave the slider windows...& possibly weld in where the alluminum strip is now. Keep the pix coming.

It's going to be primered for the time being. I put in some old Prelude seats in the front and it's going to get the round top mount mirrors.

Minor drop for now,torsion bars and a 2" block, I haven't figured out what I want to do with the interior yet, It will need a new bed, the fenderwells were"hacked" when the fenders were mounted.

I'd like to figure out a way to put working windows at the rear seat, because I can't figure out a decent look for the back half of the cab without making it a "true four door" like Mike's but I dont have the skills to make one.

Oh, and the rear bumper is going away, And I'm building a frame hitch for it.

• 2 weeks later...

That truck is so, so cool!!! So now that it is running, You ARE planning to bring it to the last Resolutions, right???????? I can envision what You are going to do. Did You see the article that I had found in one of My magazines? Mark posted it on the other thread.

I wish I was going to Reso. But, the reason I'm driving the Dually is because we're pretty much tapped out right now for $$$.:( and I had to let my Dodge get repo'd So I won't be able to go.

Things are getting better though, so I will try to take it to a couple of shows this coming year. I'm also planning on another trip to Texas, so I'd love to get some Side by Side pics of the Duallies!!

And thank you for the article, that was cool!

Are you still thinking about the 15" wheels from Moon? if so, I will start saving up for an a set if you don't mind. I'm assuming they'd want the money upfront for one-off wheelsets like that.

If it's a no go, I did find a company that makes a 6 to 8 lug adapter to mount Chevy or Dodge pattern wheels!

I've been driving it to work the past week, and man, is it slow! I'm topped out at about 70 with 185/75/14's on it, and at that speed I wouldn't hold it very long. My wife loves the truck though, even without having it primered yet. I'm a very lucky man.:) She likes my Datsun habit!

So now it's off to Reso????????? My dually will not be ready but it would be awesome to see Your's there! By the way, a few folks are going to come up to My place after Reso to "play" with Datsun stuff and look through some of My rarer magazines. It's on Your way home....................... A true Datsun adventure!!!!!

So how did people make these dually datsuns? Use that "rare" dually toyota rear end or something? I had the chance to buy a 620 std.cab dually with no bed, but ran for $300 but I passed becase it was only an L18... Maybe I shoulda bought it?

Man makya... That thing is long! Must be pretty roomy! :)

Thanks guys.

Jason, they used a fiberglass shell for the back half of the cab and made a "walk through" on the back of the original cab. then they extended the frame underneath, and the drivelines. that's about it.

The rearend is a standard 190 rear w/ 4:88 gears in it. The same rear end was used in the 1ton trucks. mine is rated as a 3/4 ton. The rims on the rear are a super wide rim casing with two sets of beads on it, so you can mount two tires side by side on one rim!

You shoulda bought it. even with a worn out L20, I pulled an 80 720 out of a dry pond up an 8' fairly steep embankment, and it didn't spin a tire.

Mine's about 16' long, I think Mikes is longer(longbed).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...