h4 conversion

juancho

im fixing to do a h4 conversion,but my headlight switch burned out.......thinking it was caused by the h4 wattage on them......there 100w........any ideas on whats the best way to do it.....hoping to convert all 4 lights,but only got the outer hooked up..............thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware that a 510 uses a different wiring system than almost every other car for the headlights.

The headlights always have power on them, and all the switching is done in the ground circuit.

Get the stock system working good first. Understand how it works, and then you can modify it, by adding relays to control the high watt lamps.

Hola. Been discussed numerous times, and I don't feel like providing links right now.

Short answer is you need to use relays so the headlight switch only controls the relays, and the relays put the power to the lights.

so the best way is with relays,defenitly trying that.....i was told to put on some,over hear in mexico we have something called a ''intensificador de luz''......''light intensifire'' or so.......anyways its sopose to manage the power but having doubt in using them......gracias

Be aware that a 510 uses a different wiring system than almost every other car for the headlights.

The headlights always have power on them, and all the switching is done in the ground circuit.

Get the stock system working good first. Understand how it works, and then you can modify it, by adding relays to control the high watt lamps.

yeah......bearly bought the car and the all the lightning is a mess,its running turn signales and beams with universal switches,low beam and taillights with cheap burned out in dash aftermarket switch and hazards well its the only thing thats in place and working order............thanks for the tip

Sounds like you need to replace the whole wiring harness. Painless and EZ Wiring have universal kits (there's another thread discussing that:

Complete wiring harness thread

In the meantime, take a load off by using a separate harness for the headlights. Even the stock lights will be brighter. Good info on rewiring harnesses for better lighting:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml

Another harness option:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.HeadlightWiringTech

Jancho, 100watts????????????

find another swithc! get a H4 harness.

If NOT put stock 35wattlamps back in

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml

I used this set in the Above link. which is the 2 headlight set.

there is 4 headlight(3 relays)H4 outers and H1 inners sets avail also if you just got to have higher than 55watt highbeams.

But most people need upgraded lower beams and most time the 2 lamp set is all that is needed.

These harness are sold at numerous places from Victory British for like 26$ to up to a whole lot of money depending who makes it and where its made.(Summit) Ebay ect.....

datto510 bought 2 sets I believe for alot cheaper than I paid and installed them in like 15/20 minutes and he rode the little yellow school bus and wore a helmut. So if he can do it ,so can you.

I see alot of people run H4s with out a harness. I tell them but they know. So I dont fell bad if the wire cooks!!!!!switch get hot ect....

datto510 bought 2 sets I believe for alot cheaper than I paid and installed them in like 15/20 minutes and he rode the little yellow school bus and wore a helmut. So if he can do it ,so can you.

Just saw this..... nice. :blink: