Gloria, the ratty 210

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are those tires going to fit on your wheels? looks like your going to have to roll them fenders just a bit.

They're 17's, so I'd have to get new rims. I'm gonna have to tub it out to fit them. They came from a Corvette ZR1, so they're WAY oversized for my car. lol

• 2 weeks later...

A few quick pics. I did some test panels which turned out pretty good. The gun is crap, so I'm going to get a new one Saturday.

YES I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA SAY! I'm an idiot for doing it outside. I don't care. These are just test panels that are probably going to be replaced or sanded again anyways.IMAG1250.jpg

IMAG1251.jpg

IMAG1252.jpg

Theres no clear yet, because the process says to wait 24 hours before applying. I'll do it tomorrow hopefully, and buff it out then the metallic will REALLY shine through.

So the paint didn't go as well as planned at first. But that's why I was using my fenders as test panels. I got the clear on today and it was a pin in the ass. Turns out the gun I was using is just a piece of dig shit, and the fact that the compressor had water condense in it from the extreme heat outside didn't help. After doing some tuning and such on the gun, it came out great. Put down 8 coats of clear.

I'd upload a picture, but it's just near impossible to get a good picture on such a small surface.

I'm going to pick up a new gun tomorrow, as well as an inline dryer for the compressor. Hopefully then the paint will turn out better.

Usually when people paint candies they try to make as long of a pass with the gun as possible with minimal panel breaks...None if you can help it. It's very easy to make it all striped or blotchy looking because the candy is transparent. The more you put on the the darker it gets. Mistakes in color are viewed from 10+ feet away.

So paint entire sections of the car all at once. Not just one panel at a time. Paint an entire side at a time in loooong even passes. Time how long a cup lasts and end off the end of a panel instead of letting it spit in the middle of one. If your short like me paint the roof first so you don't bump wet paint with your clothes or hose. I used to let the air outa my customers tires to get a coupla inches...

Have fun! Looks like the color will be sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when people paint candies they try to make as long of a pass with the gun as possible with minimal panel breaks...None if you can help it. It's very easy to make it all striped or blotchy looking because the candy is transparent. The more you put on the the darker it gets. Mistakes in color are viewed from 10+ feet away.

So paint entire sections of the car all at once. Not just one panel at a time. Paint an entire side at a time in loooong even passes. Time how long a cup lasts and end off the end of a panel instead of letting it spit in the middle of one. If your short like me paint the roof first so you don't bump wet paint with your clothes or hose. I used to let the air outa my customers tires to get a coupla inches...

Have fun! Looks like the color will be sweet.

Yeah, it took me a seconds to figure out exactly how to make a good pass on the fender without striping, but after I did it was cake. After all, they were just test panels so striping wasn't a big deal to me. I was just learning. I'm 6'', s height really isn't an issue with me tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Use the stock Datsun one ;)

That's what i was thinking, but I don't think it would flow with the dash =/

So my engine swap may start earlier then I thought. Still thinking...

While searching for engines, KA's and such, I came across this.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/1865595575.html

ALSO!!! Got some oics of some work I did today..

Before and after color sanding and polishing...

IMAG1251-1.jpg

And AFTER I polished it by hand for about an hour. Not the best, but still better then before.

IMAG1252-1.jpg