22r or 22re in a 620?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my question would be whats the benefits of the swap?

turbo, dependability and enough horsepower to turn 33" tires, im building my 620 for a completely different purpose than 99% of the guys on here

lol i was asking if anyone has done it before..not the benefits of it. and i was hoping that if someone had i could get some insight on the swap. and i wanna build my 620 i would of bought a yota if i wanted one lol

Don't get me wrong because I had a 1975 Celica with a 20r and I like Toyotas too but putting a 22r into a Datsun is like putting a Chevy motor into a Boss 302.

Of course, that's the optimal choice..then the Ford would never break down then....especially if it's a Big Block!! :rofl:

im just wondering because personally, not saying there arent, but ive never seen anybody running those motors in the desert. i mean i know people run them on the street all the time but im just seeing what i can do.

however i found a nice L20 with a 5 speed trans for $400, i would like to get it, but how available are parts if i break something? and how expensive?

sorry im a noob to datsuns, this is my first

L series parts are dime a dozen and they have many compatible parts throughout the whole spectrum. I would suspect parts might be more available than yota parts since people buy the hell out of yota stuff for 4x4s and 620s are endless.

22r/e in a Datsun! HULK MAD! HULK SMASH PUSSY TOYOTA MOTOR WITH WEAK COMPRESSION RATIO AND LOW HP! :) If you boost a 22R they make ok power. Normally aspirated it's like driving something with an original L16.

Side note, I might be selling my motor out of the 510. Getting a free 300z VG tomorrow, may be going the V6 route. Not a definite, I'll know more when I get the car over here and start chopping it up. Don't know what your budget is though. PM me if you're at all interested.

Guest DatsuNoob

^^^^ nice plug to sell a motor^^^^^^

HAHAHA, yeah that's what I was thinking. The 22r and the variants of, were quite possibly some of Toyotas most solid motors, just not right IMO to drop one into a Dat.

exactly im not sayin anything bad about these l motors i just have never worked with one and have had experience with the 22's and i know they are reliable, parts are readily available and not too expensive.

but honestly if i can come up with another 200 im gonna buy this guys L20 and you all can be happy little children that im not gonna put a big bag toyota in my 620 haha

SIDE NOTE i dont wanna make another thread for such generic question, but how do i pull the lower arm off the spindle?

ive unbolted everything but im not sure how to pull that threaded portion out from in the spindle and lower arm?? :huh:

the 22ret is a great engine, i had one in my old hilux. thing had 485,000,000 when i got it. i sold it at about 535,000,000.It was a desert truck and it ran great.

485 million to 530 million miles huh? Thats gotta be a record of some sort. :rolleyes: haha I think your zero button is sticking.. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kamakazi620

exactly im not sayin anything bad about these l motors i just have never worked with one and have had experience with the 22's and i know they are reliable, parts are readily available and not too expensive.

but honestly if i can come up with another 200 im gonna buy this guys L20 and you all can be happy little children that im not gonna put a big bag toyota in my 620 haha

SIDE NOTE i dont wanna make another thread for such generic question, but how do i pull the lower arm off the spindle?

ive unbolted everything but im not sure how to pull that threaded portion out from in the spindle and lower arm?? :huh:

With a puller or a pickle fork

Do it! I have built several R series engines and there are many companies supporting them.... options are endless but RPMs are restricted due to weak webbing in the blocks casting. LC engineering will get you motivated... 100 times better than an L-series engine if you are turning big tires

I had a 75 Celica with a 20r (2.2) and similar to 22r (2.4), a lot of of Toyota guys will do hybrids with these, like 20r head and 22 block, with that said 20r are good engines, torquey. Currently have L18 on my Datsun and can feel that the 20r engine had more torque, with that said 20r and 22r are good engines, like the L series engines are good, too. But let the guy experiment, it will more than likey need serious mods, with engine mounts and so on, not sure about oil pan hitting...