Datsunville finishing lost 1969 2 door project

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm nice work james .....104 is work stoppage heat....here at the shop we drag the frsh air pump in the air condtioned bathroom ... its so nice a cool inside the helmet......i like to fart bomb the fresh air pump when my blaster is being a whiner too....

wish goons had cool option tails like that...all i get is a lread lense .... then i took and am making the reverse lights foul weather lights....euro trick to keep people from rearending u in the rain...

its too bad they don't make a idiot texting light bu not sure how that would work...

For those that come from out of state. We do a work off your room and board.

I run a painting business (houses commercial building etc) so I don't have the time necessary to do the work. So i rely on helpers.

That would be you, I will teach you and you work on our projects and your project.

I do over see everything and sometimes thing get to be done twice. I will also do the more tecnical areas of auto body and paint. ie painting, buffing, etc. I rely on helper for the sanding (once I teach them how to sand)

On with more pics

Besides the taillight panel this is the 3rd priming. The taillight panel will need to be completely sanded and primed again..

lasvagas11_6885.jpg

lasvagas11_6886.jpg

lasvagas11_6887.jpg

lasvagas11_6888.jpg

lasvagas11_6891.jpg

lasvagas11_6892.jpg

lasvagas11_6893.jpg

We not installing bluebird taillights we are installing 710 taillights custom and has never been done before

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen more than a few hoods (and roof skins) where the factory adhesive "blobs" have given up after all the years (and dings). It appears you've replaced with new. Did you use a standard seam filler or a specific adhesive? FUSOR seems to be popular around here and I've used it without complaint but do so little work I have to get a new tube each time and they aren't cheap. Haven't found any way yet to cut cost on a good paint prep and paint job...but still searching - please advise, keeper!

Also, I see an excellent and masking-intensive jamb job here. Is the gray we see an epoxy used as a sealer and then immediately covered with color/finish paint? PPG's DP stuff works this way - but it can't set too long or else its HELL to sand. Nice to get two "stages" (sealer and color) out of one masking - if that's what's happening here.

Do you really train painters? If so, that must be the only appropriate punishment for all the folks who ask you to paint their cars! Brilliant!

I love questions like these

Yes it is DP40LF, usually seal with out thinning 2:1, wait 18- 24 hours light scuff and base/clear

DP40 is the best and have not found better

SEMs seam sealer 2 part component, works great. ($25 a kit, we have 6+ kits in this car)

The tubes wont expire but you have to replace the tip every time.

This hood skin was fucked. if you tried to block it. The skin would move 1/4er of an inch in and out (not good)

So we 2 part panel boned the front area with clamps and then 2 part seam sealed the remaining frame to the skin, hoping to keep in in place while longgggg boarding.

Tomorrow is color day. It's to hot here after 12 noon to spray paint. No wind, low dust etc in the morning to spray base clear.

I thin k it would be cool to teach auto body, but no time for schooling to get the required paper work.

So we teach Datsun heads alittle about making their cars look good and helping us get our cars done. Nobody knows it is punishment til there here. Ha ha ha ha

• Like 1

hey james do u miss the old original purple can dp product from ppg.....i stock piled a bunch before i quit at the jobber i worked for..... i thought the lf sprayed heavy ... layed out rough and always seemed to stay rubbery.( like water bourne..)....i could get it to lay down better .... with dt870 but it would lay out even smoother with a hotter reducer but i was so bad waiting for the hotter reducer to flash off and would always put a hanger somewhere i thought was drier than it really was...up here i had to force the store i worked for to order in 885 or 895...being ppg didnt think our area warranted hot weather reducers.

for everyone infos... james uses top of the line products ....dp is not cheap and there's cheaper alternatives but i have really only seen james using stuff that is considered high end materials....its nice to know cause theres a lot of painters up here that would charge u for using top shelf stuff then going and buying all aftermarkets .to increase there profit.. which aftermarkets aren't bad products and arer much cheaper but theres not real factory backing if something should go wrong....nice to see someone not willing to sacrifice there product over a few bucks that u will utlitmately spend ten fold redoing it, kudos to the keeper

• Like 1

jambs are done and look great

lasvagas11_7086.jpg

Most the parts are final sanded thanks to Skibs hard work.

lasvagas11_7212.jpg

Just dealing with hood and trunk lid now

lasvagas11_7217.jpg

lasvagas11_7216.jpg

lasvagas11_7218.jpg

ready for primer one last coat (incase you guys and gals were not counting this is the 3rd time this bitch has been blocked and yes we have to do it one more time) fucking hate trunk lids. tell ur bitch to get her fat ass off the trunk of my car.

can you see the pencil marks, that is from the seam sealer leaving high spots in the skin, small price to pay for a hood that does not flap in the wind. flap flap flap

lasvagas11_7210.jpg

lasvagas11_7233.jpg

And ready to block again

the 15 is for 150 grit blocking with all the random Datsun 510 parts it get confusing

lasvagas11_7258.jpg

Might have to take this boy to Victory and beyond

lasvagas11_7232.jpg

lasvagas11_7223.jpg

lasvagas11_7222.jpg

Sand sand sand my darling don't maunder a single word

• Like 2

this looks great my friggen arms are tired of seeing how much you guys sand

This color is going to be bitchen the engine bay looks fantastic

when are you spray the car I want to come see it after its sprayed

For those that come from out of state. We do a work off your room and board.

I run a painting business (houses commercial building etc) so I don't have the time necessary to do the work. So i rely on helpers.

That would be you, I will teach you and you work on our projects and your project.

I do over see everything and sometimes thing get to be done twice. I will also do the more tecnical areas of auto body and paint. ie painting, buffing, etc. I rely on helper for the sanding (once I teach them how to sand)

Are you saying you are willing to train for free??

I have one to two Saturdays a month available. It's mot much but I would love to learn body work, just don't have time for classes. Don't even have to learn on my car. I'll just come help you!