Datsunville finishing lost 1969 2 door project

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Lazy man update. Been waiting for parts. Not to mention working on other dimes. Started the 1/4er panel work. I want to rough the quarters then glue in the carbon tailpanel and lower rear valance. Once we are there time to paint the engine bay. Very cool color and pricey, looking forward to the spray work.

Donor car rear lower quarters, cleaned inside and out and mated to the new car, then welded in. We ended up cutting more rot out and resandblasting those areas.

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04845.jpg

DSC04847.jpg

Scraps

DSC04876.jpg

DSC04881.jpg

Spray some rust preventive jiz,

DSC04884.jpg

lasvagas11_207.jpg

lasvagas11_208.jpg

lasvagas11_212.jpg

lasvagas11_216.jpg

lasvagas11_229.jpg

lasvagas11_235.jpg

that's 2 mud spreads, looks like a lot, but really it is just a thin layer to even everything out.

On with the front. The front was not rusty just damaged and I didn't want to use a gallon of mud (bondo) to fix it. So i figured while at it I would weld in a front section of rocker from the same donor car. However, I was not happy with the alignment so I cut it back off. We'll be finishing that later.

lasvagas11_236.jpg

lasvagas11_238.jpg

Again while there with welder in hand figured I would rid myself of this pesty side marker

lasvagas11_239.jpg

lasvagas11_241.jpg

Then Phil open this 2 door up for right hand drive, can you say Oh-yeah

DSC04878.jpg

DSC04879.jpg

DSC04880.jpg

Now I got to get back to painting stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Been roughing out the complete right quarter panel. Didn't get pics, but we decided to cut the rest of the rocker off and weld in a donor rocker. Cool thing about welding in the mostly complete rocker is, you only have to spot weld the top and bottom, not a lot of butt welding. This keeps the rockers lines nice and straight. But the real work goes into mounting the door and fender so you know everything will line up when finished.

lasvagas11_505.jpg

lasvagas11_507.jpg

Got the rocker lined up and blasted. Installed the door and fender to make sure thing are what they should be. And boom welded in the rocker. Next step, do the mud work and primer.

I'm getting excited to spray something again. All this work then we get to make it pretty.

lasvagas11_519.jpg

lasvagas11_521.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This project is going slow but still moving

Welded in the replacement lower quarter

Phils been doing a great job, this has become his 2nd baby

lasvagas11_684.jpg

lasvagas11_690.jpg

lasvagas11_691.jpg

lasvagas11_841.jpg

It is very important to seal the welds on both sides, no more rust in these problem areas

lasvagas11_845.jpg

lasvagas11_844.jpg

lasvagas11_850.jpg

Can't wait to spray some paint on this beast

• 3 weeks later...

With all the work being done to Virginia, we forgot to update the master piece. I was under this car today and was blown away by how amazing the under side of this thing looks. It's been near 8 months since i looked under it.

The complete uni body is prepped and ready for it's long trial of finial sanding.

lasvagas11_934.jpg

lasvagas11_952.jpg

lasvagas11_953.jpg

lasvagas11_1075.jpg

Sealed up the wheels wells, after reworking the inner fender for the BMW headlights

lasvagas11_950.jpg

lasvagas11_948.jpg

lasvagas11_1392.jpg

Started welding in the patch plate to smooth off the factory left hand drove stuff

lasvagas11_1077.jpg

lasvagas11_1074.jpg

lasvagas11_1090.jpg

lasvagas11_1091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We used a Harbor Freight spot weld drill bit, cheap and last awhile. I use to grind everything away from the side I did not need, then drill small holes in the replacement panel, but that takes a lot longer. The only advantage is smaller holes to fill in with weld.

Cut and flange the inner cooler opening. Smoothed off the left hand drive stuff. Then sanded for 3 for days. Phil's been working on this engine bay day and night for a week. I think before the 4th this will be painted and finished.

Time to do some spray work

lasvagas11_1578.jpg

lasvagas11_1579.jpg