• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for this!

Manly tears of joy were shed when this fix worked on my 510.  Now, for the first time in 12 years, I can put the grill on and leave it there.  I had tried many things, from JB Weld to taking it to a welding shop.  For the last few years, I drove with a small Vise-Grip clamped to the frayed end of the cable. 

My total cost at the bike shop was $5.15 for the cable and housing and $1.18 for the clamp at Lowe's.   I also closed the clamp by hammering on the anvil portion of my vise.  I spent extra time fitting, measuring, trimming the housing and refitting but still spent less than 30 minutes total.  Now a light pull on the handle releases the hood.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I cannot see any pics.  I have a broken latch but it is at the end inside the cab of the car.  I have been looking for a fix for this for quite some time.  Unfortunately it broke all the way today.  I was planning on wrapping it with more wire, around and around kind of like a chinese finger pull toy, then welding an end on it.  Now I am in a rush to fix.  Came across your post and from what your text says, it sounds like it might be usefull in my situation.  I cannot see any pics though...help!

The user account on photobucket is gone. He deleted his entire account at one point. I tried using a couple different photobucket picture add-ons and the internet archive. I don't think Ratsun or Photobucket are on the list to archive. There seems to be no captured history of those pictures.

Doolers, what car are you working on? I've got some extra cables.

Also, the hardware store should have some aluminum double barrel ferrels that you can crimp on to your cable. Or get a new cable from a motorcycle shop, and use the ferrels with that. Or check Youtube, there are some videos that show some pretty simple ways to re-cast the lead barrels. 

If it's a 510, you can buy a new cable setup on eBay.... though the one I bought was for RHD. I just ground off the rivet holding the cable on the lever, then re-attach it to your old lever with a new rivet, or bolt. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have NEVER gotten such a quick reply on any other forum!  And I am an avid DIYer so I have been on quite a few!  We replaced the boots and plugs on my pontiac last night.  That seems to be taken care of although only time will tell...she can be pretty picky on the kind of plugs and my local store was out of the kind I normally use so.....

On to the issue I am seeking help with.  Shes a 2001 Grand AM and I am just looking for a quick cheap fix for the hood pull.  The lead piece has broken off finally after months of using pliers.  Based on the posts above. Would a crimp or a lead cast over the ends of the wires be better?  Lead cast would be a ball and the crimp would be a 3 way (I hope) to make a loop or something for leverage.  Throw a bolt in the loop?!?

Again thanks again guys for the responses!  While I am on here-what keeps the boots from fuseing to the plugs? Those were a PAIN! 

2 hours ago, doolers said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have NEVER gotten such a quick reply on any other forum!  And I am an avid DIYer so I have been on quite a few!  We replaced the boots and plugs on my pontiac last night.  That seems to be taken care of although only time will tell...she can be pretty picky on the kind of plugs and my local store was out of the kind I normally use so.....

On to the issue I am seeking help with.  Shes a 2001 Grand AM and I am just looking for a quick cheap fix for the hood pull.  The lead piece has broken off finally after months of using pliers.  Based on the posts above. Would a crimp or a lead cast over the ends of the wires be better?  Lead cast would be a ball and the crimp would be a 3 way (I hope) to make a loop or something for leverage.  Throw a bolt in the loop?!?

Again thanks again guys for the responses!  While I am on here-what keeps the boots from fuseing to the plugs? Those were a PAIN! 

For the plug wire boots, smear a thin coat of dielectric grease on the inside off the boot.

For the cable.... being such a new vehicle, DO IT RIGHT. After a quick search,  you can buy a new cable/lever for $25. That's well worth the time you would spend jimmy-rigging the old cable.