Hardbody transmission pictures and measurements.

720Joe

Just hoping this could be of use to anyone. I pulled apart today to get it stuck out of third gear(was given to me this way) and decided to take some pictures and take a few measurements.

Overall length: 30.5"

Bellhousing to center of trans crossmember bolt hole: 22"

Bellhousing to shifter plate: 22"

I found 5W71C and TA71B #3 stamped on the tranny.

Here's a few pics.

2rz751v.jpg

28iq41s.jpg

mj39za.jpg

2isxdmp.jpg

wa6dxj.jpg

2yw9zk2.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall length (bell housing to input shaft dust cover): 30.5"

Bellhousing to center of trans crossmember bolt hole: 22"

Bellhousing to shifter plate: 22"

I found 5W71C and TA71B #3 stamped on the tranny.

30.5" is going to confuse someone. Measure again from bell to the very back of output spline. I think you will find that it's over 32". The FS5W71C is always longer than the FS5W71B which is 31.5". The Hardbody tranny is the closest but is still an inch or more longer. S13/14s are way longer.

I've never measured one myself but have heard differing amounts. I would appreciate an exact measurement.

30.5" is going to confuse someone. Measure again from bell to the very back of output spline. I think you will find that it's over 32". The FS5W71C is always longer than the FS5W71B which is 31.5". The Hardbody tranny is the closest but is still an inch or more longer. S13/14s are way longer.

I've never measured one myself but have heard differing amounts. I would appreciate an exact measurement.

The output shaft does not stick out past the dust shield/cup. I can take a picture tomorrow seeing as it's dark now and am on my way to work.

his 30.5 seems about right. I didn't measure that far back due to the trans being installed but maybe someone can benefit from these pictures, bellhousing to trans cross member, id say give or take .5 inches incase the tape measure wasnt perfect....

1991 hardbody, 2wd, ka24e, 5 speed

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

No, the early HBs had a shortest FS5W71C tranny. Most FS5W71C tranny (HB/240sx) owners know little about the earlier B types.

Any time I've heard of an FS5W71C being put behind an L series motor it was always accompanied by a drive shaft shortening. Possibly it wasn't from a HB and was mis-identified as such. The 240sx tranny is way longer.

D-21 top and 240sx below:

transshortD21CtypeKA24EandlongS13KA.jpg

The one above looks like the one directly below and appears to be from an S13 ('89 and up 240sx) The one below it is from an '86.5-'88 200sx (CA18ET or CA20E) and while shorter is still not as short as the D-21 that you measured.

S-13andS-12MKIICtypes.jpg

Had a few measurements/pics of a 720 Transmission supplied to me by nis720 over on InfamousNissan, I believe his username is the same here.

720 Transmission

Overall length: 26"

Bellhousing to center of trans crossmember bolt hole: 21"

Bellhousing to shifter location: 24.25"

Here's pics.

mv3r81.jpg

r0s5cw.jpg

23uyqq.jpg

724oki.jpg

• 3 years later...

Overall length: 30.5"Bellhousing to center of trans crossmember bolt hole: 22"Bellhousing to shifter plate: 22"I found 5W71C and TA71B #3 stamped on the tranny.Here's a few pics.2rz751v.jpg28iq41s.jpg

Well actually I was waiting for you to say you read the tape wrong. laugh.gif Well as stated I haven't measured one myself. Every indication is that they are longer than the B by a couple of inches. Must think about this.

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I was just offered one of these transmissions and I'm doing my research to see if it fits my needs: could the length in question be due to the fact that the tailhousing numbers are "71B"?

ame="720Joe" post="266648" timestamp="1266275411"]

Overall length: 30.5"Bellhousing to center of trans crossmember bolt hole: 22"Bellhousing to shifter plate: 22"I found 5W71C and TA71B #3 stamped on the tranny.Here's a few pics.2rz751v.jpg28iq41s.jpg

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I was just offered one of these transmissions and I'm doing my research to see if it fits my needs: could the length in question be due to the fact that the tailhousing numbers are "71B"?

No I don't think so. There were no L series 71C transmissions so it's common to swap an L series 71B front case onto a 71C body to convert it. Any length differences between the B and C is in the tailstock lengths.

If you want I can measure a 71B front case half and you can do a 71C, but they are the same length.

No I don't think so. There were no L series 71C transmissions so it's common to swap an L series 71B front case onto a 71C body to convert it. Any length differences between the B and C is in the tailstock lengths.

If you want I can measure a 71B front case half and you can do a 71C, but they are the same length.

I appreciate the offer, but I too have a 71B on hand.  My 71C is 3500 miles away in KS.....  Not a big deal to me at the moment.  I'm just in the preliminary stage of a project that may never happen.