Kelmo's Coupe Build(?)

KELMO

1iUEW9n.jpg

See that large nut on the under side just forward of the mount and below the blue switch??? That is a post sticking up inside the transmission, somewhat like a seesaw. Forward motion on one end causes backward motion on the other side. This is connected to the 1st/reverse shift rod to reverse their direction. Without it the shift pattern would be 

R..3..5

All 60 and 63 series doglegs have this nut on the underside

• Like 1
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that is pretty much what my thinking was but I have had transmissions in and out of this car and the green car and done got myself confused.

In other news...opened up the new piston ring set and what do you know? Wong size. Not sure if I should reuse the rings that were in it of find another set. The rings were in this motor for about 2K miles and upon removal it was evident that the gap spacing was incorrect. I somewhat remember twisting the pistons when installing..

Well damn, not sure what direction to take. The C.O. (aka Commanding Officer, aka Missus Kelmo) sez just put an A14 in it.

I need another engine stand. I wonder if the Local Financial Authority (see above) will approve that.

Watch, hold on.

Get new rings and lightly hone the bores.

Rings do not stay where you install them. They can rotate in either direction and opposite each other and can pause and not turn. Load, diameter, RPM, bore wear.... all and more can affect the rotation and rate. The rotation rate has been measured up to and maybe above 3 times per minute. 

We had an old 3 cylinder Sperry Rand air compressor where I worked and it ran 24/7 and every morning I would have to check the oil. The pistons were like 5" across. Every few weeks it would suddenly need a gallon added and then it would just need checking. We figured the rings rotated till the end gaps aligned and oil consumption went up. By consumption I mean it went into the air tank and this needed draining every several months.

I hate your logic but I know it's right.

Welp, back to the Goon.

My brother needs his oil pan on his Yota done too.

Way too much shite going on over here. And it is 102 degrees in the shop...FAAAAKK.

Got a set of OEM (OK, NOS😋)rings, 12033-H8915, Need to go back to the supercession chain and see what these really are. Maybe A14? Should be the same bore but I could be wrong. As I have said before, it happens a lot. The rings I have are WAY too big for an A12

Pistons and bore measure out to 72 ish (mm). So let's call it 73.

When I get back to work Monday I will have to chase the part # change backwards. Can't remember for sure how I came to this #.

Well, I am in the bottle so my accuracy could be inaccurate.

Bore just measured out at 73.02

Piston at 72.54

A12 is different than A14, A15. Mostly sure this is where my error happened. 

12033-H9915 is no longer on the parts master file. Even though I bought these through Nissan within the last few months. Could have dropped in the Q2 update.

Oh, and by the way.

This is an NOS part. And the wrong fucking size I might add.

xx26avR.jpg

Looks as though I may be able to get a set from O'reilly's. It is a set of 8 so I'll have some extra bits when I break something.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2020 at 5:40 PM, KELMO said:

Well damn, not sure what direction to take. The C.O. (aka Commanding Officer, aka Missus Kelmo) sez just put an A14 in it.

She's right, you know.

You don't EVER put an A12 back into a car. Shit, a bad valve cover gasket would make me take one out and throw it away...  😄

• Haha 1

The grey car? It's primer.😂

The Green car does not have a visible paint code that I have been able to find. The body shop matched it very well to the original color on the inside of the car. 

• Like 1

Putting this one on hold for the moment. There are strange happenings afoot and I am going to see what transpires over the next week.

So, "the strange happenings afoot".

Last week I  get a text with a picture of some Datsun competition pistons from a number I don't recognize with the words " You need these sir". Well I  think I know who it is and banter back a bit only to find out it is not who I think it is. Long story short, A set of Datsun pistons showed up Tuesday.

jeJzTE1.jpg

2LXnXUl.jpg

And, I just happen to have what I believe is the correct head.

kjJ7Iuw.jpg

tIGRuT2.jpg

After some quick  measuring it looks like the pistons are almost 1mm too big for the block that I currently have torn apart. I know there are at least 2 other blocks out there (somewhere) so I am going to hold off a bit and also look into finding someone that is a bit more skilled in the engine department than myself.

• Like 1

Hit submit before I was done.

So to the person who described themselves as a "Lurker" on here, thanks a million. If I cannot put these to use I know at least one person who can and will do the same for them as you have done for me.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fuck me.

I am going back together and see a gouge in # 1 piston rod bearing. Rockauto shows a set in stock but that means next weekend and  I gotta work next Saturday. FFF.

This car went to the first Multi State Datsun Classic (now known as the Route 66 JDM Classic) and I want it to be there for the 10th anniversary show.

Also, Missus Kelmo just told me one of our hangar renters, Doc, Passed away. Old dude that was way cool. Gonna miss that crusty old sumbitch. Hoisted a drink or 2 in his honor.

Fucking Monday part 6 around here. 

FUCK. 

• Sad 1
  • 5 weeks later...

So, still Monday around here.

Motor is back together but no make boom. Long story short, I didn't pay attention when taking it apart so I had a cluster fuck putting it back together. Not too sure I paid much attention going back together either. Turned the dizzy 180 degrees and still no luck. Got one more ideal before I take the whole damn thing back apart and start all over again.

I really shouldn't have tools and I really should not be working on cars.

Got spark, got fuel, got air. Appears I got timing issues.

• Haha 1
On 9/8/2020 at 3:23 AM, KELMO said:

Dizzy shaft yes, oil pump shaft no.

Cuz "A" motor.😀

oops! I guess if you have an oil pump shaft in there, you have major issues. lol!

Edited by Draker
  • Haha 1