Kelmo's Coupe Build(?)

KELMO

Well I took a pinion out of one of the other transmissions I have laying around, have to see if that cures the problem.  If not, I will see if I can find the seal and oring.  I had an oring stored but it is way too small for the housing but may work on the actual pinion but I am thinking that took an actual seal. The # I had was a 32709-18000 which I think may be for a 1200 4 spd.

Hoping to lay the carpet in this weekend (well, except the drivers side) and a buddy of mine is going to stop by next week to look at fabricating a rear trunk/deck type thing...sorta like the back of an early Z.

• Like 1
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it on the trailer so Missus Kelmo can learn  some towing stuff. She did pretty well and as we got close to getting back to the house I told her I would back the trailer in. The driveway to the shop is easily 150 feet long with 2 right hand turns. She refused to let me back the trailer in and did it herself.  Took her a little bit, but she did it without giving up or getting frustrated....my wife is a badass.

TyGbg6C.jpg

• Like 8
2 hours ago, KELMO said:

Put it on the trailer so Missus Kelmo can learn  some towing stuff. She did pretty well and as we got close to getting back to the house I told her I would back the trailer in. The driveway to the shop is easily 150 feet long with 2 right hand turns. She refused to let me back the trailer in and did it herself.  Took her a little bit, but she did it without giving up or getting frustrated....my wife is a badass.

TyGbg6C.jpg

She has to be a "badass" she married and keeps up with you!  LOL

Who is the manufacturer of your trailer?

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie. The trailer is an ALUMA and will carry just about anything Datsun. I have towed both 1200s, both 510s a 210 and a 521. With it hooked up to the Frontier, it tows really well. Wish I had been thinking when I bought it, I would have bought something wider.

• Like 1

I have been wanting to delete the rear seat and just have a "deck" for the back of this car, somewhat like the early Z's.  Well I am running short on time before Williams so.....

may as well redneck it, Right?

So, lets cut us up a little bracket.

ucEuuKT.jpg

OK, now lets put some holes in it and bend it some.

oC0mCaA.jpg

Test fit.

jw64WyG.jpg

Throw some paint on 'em.

OgbZUec.jpg

Now, lets get that rear seat we got laying around and put a new backing on it.

GRyqJ0B.jpg

OK, what about the rest? Turns out I have the original cover for the trunk. It ain't the best looking part but it will do for now.

NEB4amY.jpg

Gonna hit WallyWorld later to day and see if I can find a cheap area rug for the back.

Once I get back from Williams I'll see if I can't put something a little more permanent and, well, better looking and built....maybe.

• Like 3

So off to Walmart yesterday and found something that will work for now.

tBFcO9d.jpg

It almost matches the carpet we just put in the car. It is not quite wide enough but for $16.00, it will do for now.

Ugly as she is, I think we are ready for Williams.

zaKXXwD.jpg

• Like 5

I'll argue that point as I have two Diamond in the Rough awards.

That's rough not ruff...I don't bring my dogs to the show.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

So anyway...…………………………...

Put the 5 speed from the green car in this bitch, drove it to Williams and back. About an 800 mile round trip and some other road trippin'.  Decided the transmission is good so what do I do?

Put that MF in the Green Coupe.

I have a 5 speed from a 210 that works really well in 1st gear and reverse but nothing in between. So, this little bitch will have a 4 speed until I figure out how to rebuild a transmission.

WmNEr20.jpg

I asked Missus Kelmo how she would describe driving the Green Coupe and the Grey Coupe

Her response; The Green Coupe is kind of a priss and the Grey Coupe is a bit of a Bitch. You have to treat the Green Coupe nice but you can drive the Grey Coupe hard and put her away wet (I paraphrased there but you get the idea). Holy Crap I love that woman.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I have decided to attempt a transmission rebuild. I think this is a dogleg, ok, pretty sure.

ellU2Wb.jpg

The only reason I am sure it is a dogleg is this nut on the under side. My other 60 series transmissions do not have this.

I could be wrong, it happens a lot.

1iUEW9n.jpg

Damn car is still in the same place it was last year.

X0YlyHa.jpg

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 2

I’ll look at mine tomorrow and confirm. I’ve got a couple 60 series 5 speeds.

actually mine is a 60l like the one pictured above. 

Edited by Draker
More info
  • Like 1

Looked at it last night and it does have the bulge on what would be the drivers side. I'll have to check the other one, but I am pretty sure the other one does not have the same nut as the one I posted above. There is also a 60 series 4 speed out in that mess I call a shop.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I'll preface this by saying I am not a mechanic (to which a buddy of mine said "that is pretty obvious"). I put this motor together several years ago thinking it would go directly into the green coupe. That didn't happen for about 2 years, so it just sat. Finally install in the green coupe and smokes like it has a 2 pack a day habit. I think oh, the rings didn't seat. So I put it in the grey coupe and drive the piss out of it, about 2000 miles. Still smokes like a savage. Pull the motor out and find this.

J9ysbvs.jpg

from a little ways back

SGWvvHW.jpg

All of the pistons have this same light brown mark and there is more carbon on the pistons and head than you can shake a stick at. Did I screw up the piston ring install and not separate the breaks in the rings well enough, is this from pre detonation, running to rich?

We learn as we go as they say. Some times I need the lesson 3 to 4 times.

My theory would be rings and the reason you see the light spot is because that's the intake side and fuel is keeping that a bit more free of oil/carbon deposits. 

What you could do next time before tearing it down is perform a leak down test with a leak-down tester. You can find out where the issue is without opening it up. So now you can pull the pistons and see how the ring gaps are. Some engines have rings that are directional, meaning they can't be installed upside down or you'll see issues like this. I don't know if that's the case here, but I've seen it before. typical case is the middle or upper ring have a slight chamferred edge, if installed upside down it lets oil right past and into the combustion chamber. Again, may not be applicable here.

What's telling is that all 4 cylinders appear to be burning oil. So either it's coming in from the intake (I doubt it), from the valve stem seals, or it's an install issue. Valve stem seals would burn oil on deceleration, or on cold start after sitting a bit and would typically not burn as much during normal highway driving, or at idle. You can check the top of the valves for oil or carbon.

If you saw just one single piston with a lot of carbon buildup I'd assume it was a headgasket, or cracked block. Again, not the issue here.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:31 AM, Draker said:

I’ll look at mine tomorrow and confirm. I’ve got a couple 60 series 5 speeds.

actually mine is a 60l like the one pictured above. 

orange is 63a 5speed (dogleg), other two are 60L 5 speeds (standard)

Pics for reference:

2C2E4787-FEBD-47A4-94CB-FEBF6471202C.jpg
AAC6E042-3870-4738-8222-8562E2EB014F.jpg
D8D99341-E5F4-4B19-8053-518A972D6D32.jpg
4D20DC78-15C1-4409-A0F8-1543CFAF9E41.jpg

The trans I have is closer to the orange one, but still somewhat different.

I like your vote for rings simply for the fact that this motor set for some time after it was assembled.

• 1 month later...

Hoping that either this weekend or at least by next weekend I have this thing burning gas again. When I took out the pistons the rings were not staggered correctly. I vaguely remember having to twist the pistons during installation but can't remember why.

Found a set of head bolts (less the oiler bolt) from Nissan. So would that be NOS? No, I think just OEM.

qeodtTA.jpg

Seemed like a good idea to replace since this motor has been torn down a time or 2 over the last decade (or more). And has well, a LOT of miles on it.