Kelmo's Coupe Build(?)

KELMO

Thanks man.

Also thought I should take the lawn mower part off that has been on the carb since the trip to Williams in 2013.......

I2c9qz9.jpg

Probably could have left it as is and it would have been fine for another 4 years. Have to say, this is my best redneck roadside fix ever.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So with all of the 1200 action going on, the grey coupe got pushed closer to the work area.

8Lu2tQR.jpg

There are people around here that I blame for this.....you know who you are. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Whilst looking around for some spare bits, I saw this........

cTqLega.jpg

A sedan grille on a coupe. HHMMMM. Just need to figure out which side is up and clean the paint off of the left side trim ring. That and figure out how to mount it.

• Like 2

Time to finally replace that damn wing window seal.

K5NeH4M.jpg

46 year old rubber almost as hard as a rock.

AsycOOp.jpg

All cleared out.

6tX809M.jpg

Now all I have to do is install the new seal, make a door panel, weld up a couple mirror holes, learn how to weld, paint some stuff, and blah blah blah.

EDIT: Also, when I was taking all of the glass out of the door it was pretty much a fustercluck. It was a bit of get the door glass out of the track and off of the regulator while moving the vent window frame. It seems the last time I did this, it was much easier.

• Like 1

A sedan grille on a coupe. HHMMMM. Just need to figure out which side is up and clean the paint off of the left side trim ring. That and figure out how to mount it.

First, you have it upside down.  ^_^

Second, I had to get crafty with the mounts because the Coupe doesn't have the right bits to mount it. And the lower mounts for the Coupe grill need to be bent back out of the way or cut off. I bent mine back just in case I ever switch back. 

I can take some pics of my mountings to show you if you like? It involved some very long bolts and a lot of nuts...

gallery_102_398_1483045499_35055.jpg

gallery_102_398_1483046141_36504.jpg

• Like 1

I got the seals a long time ago in a Nissan dealership far, far away. Possibly 10 years ago, maybe less. Pretty sure I got the last 2 pair in captivity.

As far as the grille goes, I had no idea which way was up. And, if you have done that on the white coupe I may wait until after Williams. #cuzunique

• Like 1

I am using a go-cart throttle cable on my goon, and I appropriated a throttle cable hold down from an old 1200 carb I had here at the house. I then welded up a mount for it on my Weber carb.  Still working fine after all this time..   :thumbup: 

I'll try to remember to get a pic of it next time I'm down in SD working on the goon..

Also thought I should take the lawn mower part off that has been on the carb since the trip to Williams in 2013.......

• Like 1

I got the seals a long time ago in a Nissan dealership far, far away. Possibly 10 years ago, maybe less. Pretty sure I got the last 2 pair in captivity.

Great. 

As far as the grille goes, I had no idea which way was up. And, if you have done that on the white coupe I may wait until after Williams. #cuzunique

Do it now. You'll be fine for Williams.   :rofl:

• Like 1

Duncan, the lawn mower part was the result of my dumb ass installing the carb. Seems I did not have the base bolts tight enough and they vibrated loose on one of the trips to Williams.....in Holbrook AZ.  The nut that holds the throttle linkage also backed off. We ended up at an ACE hardware store and eventually came up with the lawn mower bit.

DF, I have been talking to another 1200 coupe guy who has been in contact with Baz at Datsport, and has a set on order for a coupe.  He has promised to report his success/failure once they arrive.

The grille is the least of my worries at this point.........

Glass run

Wing window seal

Wiring harness :sick:

Engine

Transmission

Seats

Carpet

This is what happens when you ravage one car to complete another. So yeah, I have another project.....dammit.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Time to finish the wing window seal. In the bottom of the frame there was what I can only assume was once some type of rubber seal. Of course I didn't take a picture of it but it goes in here.

rQSaYIu.jpg

Went to the local parts store to see if they might have a rubber sheet gasket....no such luck. Started to think about what I may have laying around that I could use. Thought I had a bicycle inner tube but while looking I found this.

BRYp8xz.jpg

The stuff that was in the frame was between 1.5mm to 2.0mm this stuff was right around 1.8mm.

So I cut a piece to go in the bottom of the frame.

jqUygNy.jpg

Then I cut some oversize pieces to go on the sides.

X9BS3V1.jpg

Put those two pieces in the frame, then push the glass in between them.

1d3BYk3.jpg

Then I trimmed of the excess material.

Lw2Lnfm.jpg

Then put the whole thing back together. I used no glue/adhesive on this because I think the pressure from the swivel spring on the bottom will hold everything snug. When putting the glass back in the door frame, I had to install from what would be the outside of the door.

quiGZbv.jpg

Only one little snafu during this job....ripped the dam seal where it goes over the top pivot, dammit.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Aaaannnnndddd, we're back.

So I had walked away from the wiring issue (ok, more like took a trip) I was dealing with several months back. As stated before, this thing used to be an automatic and had a starter relay that I suspected was bad. Long story short, decided to only hook up the wires going to the reverse switch and leave the other ones out of the loop.  Well, it will now start and run.

Next up was the bushing at the top of the steering column.  I had spent quite a bit of time with some PB blaster, rubber mallet, and flat screwdriver trying to get this little piggy loose. I was able to move it maybe an 1/8th inch....maybe.  Really did not want to remove the steering column and do this on a bench. So, what to do? Found a pipe that would slide over the steering shaft. Wait, let me 'splain a little more.....the steering column tube has a bushing that centers the steering shaft. Anyway, took a cut off wheel to cut notches in one end of the pipe so it could fit into the cut outs on the bushing, sorta like a castle nut looking thing.

NREnAAQ.jpg

And in about 2 minutes, the bushing was out.

fn4OaAL.jpg

• Like 3

We will be there. The green car is registered and we have secured a vendor booth for Hot Wheels and T shirts. With a little work, and an insane amount of luck, the grey car will be squared away by then and we can bring it also. Looking forward to seeing you in about 2.5 months.

Hhmm, I really need to reserve a hotel room, otherwise we be sleeping in the car.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, KELMO said:

Lw2Lnfm.jpg

Then put the whole thing back together. I used no glue/adhesive on this because I think the pressure from the swivel spring on the bottom will hold everything snug. When putting the glass back in the door frame, I had to install from what would be the outside of the door.

Very good idea. Definitely need to borrow it. ?

• Like 2

Much like your coupe, I keep this thing out of the rain.  Which is pretty easy living in a desert climate. So the hope is that is will last for a good amount of time.

Edit:

In other news.....Got the new steering bushing installed yesterday.  Put on the Turn signal switch and only have the left hand side. No worries, I got like 3 more. Well, I tried all 3 and had the same result. OK, lets try some flasher units.....got 3 or 4 of those too. After all of that I still have the same result. No wait, check that, no turn signals at all.  All grounds look good and the 4 way flashers work.  I think it may be time to go buy a $4 flasher.

Did I take a pic of any of the above stuff, no.

On to replacing the heater valve.  Brand spank me new outta the box.

qAj6QxY.jpg

Um, wait, there should be a hole on that shiney part for the screw to go in so the cable can be clamped down. As luck would have it, my buddy brought back my drill press I loaned him a couple years ago.....on Saturday. Fixed and installed.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 3

Well, I got a new flasher but still no right turn signal.  Break (not brake) out the circuit tester and promptly blow out the bulb, so that is on hold for a bit.  With the new flasher unit the left hand turn signal seems to work a bit faster than it did with the old one so I will call that progress.

And now, on to one of my more redkneckian fixes. For hanging the tailpipe, there was originally a rubber strip type thingy that looked like it was cut out of an old tire...well that is gone as well as the bracket on the tailpipe. So a trip to the parts store gets us a generic type hangar, some muffler strap, and a muffler clamp.

S3UuVNB.jpg

09ucLeC.jpg

aNmSn3L.jpg

Seems as though it will work out, I will find out once I start driving it.....IF I ever start driving it.

• Like 2
On 4/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, KELMO said:

So I cut a piece to go in the bottom of the frame.

Then I cut some oversize pieces to go on the sides.

Put those two pieces in the frame, then push the glass in between them.

1d3BYk3.jpg

Then I trimmed of the excess material.

Question, though. Why 3 pieces? 

Without glue I was afeared it would wiggle it's way out so I did it all with one piece. Just folded the stuff in half, wrapped it around the glass and shoved it in. 

• Like 1

I just cut it into 3 pieces as I thought it would seal better (maybe?).  Also thought about just going the one piece route also. I guess it boils down to this; by cutting  it into 3 parts, I figured I would have a "more square" U shape one all were installed in the channel.

Or, maybe I decided to make a simple job just a bit more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully today will be the first drive of this car since 2016 when it was raped for the green car. I replaced the turn signal switch with a new one and now have left AND right turn signals. Anybody in the market for a 1200 turn signal switch that only works the left hand turn signal? Looks like I have about four of them.

If I get this thing off of the stands and moving under its own power, I will post some pics of the sad state of the affair.

Well, if I remember to take some I will.

• Like 1

The moment of truth.

K77WWrZ.jpg

Made it around the block and back. Needs some adjustment to the clutch and some lube to the steering wheel because some dumbass didn't do it when installing the upper bushing.

Good help is hard to find these days.....wait, that dumbass was me. Boatload of other stuff to do like oh, everything. It would be easier to list what the car has than what it needs.

Engine, trans, wheels & tires, drivers seat, drivers door, seat belt, all the glass, trunk lid. I think that about covers it.

02Qsz73.jpg

Now have 2 running 1200's. Well they both run but I currently only have one battery.

• Like 2