New Carbs

imtb

Those look like they would function similar to these mikuni bmw boat carbs i have. No venturi or piston,just throttle plate and direct fuel spray. I got laughed at by the thought of trying boat carbs. I dont know anything about these or yours but if yours work I bet these would too with some tweaking.

2006_0124Image0071.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I would like to see photos of the cable linkage instead of the rod, as I never seen a SU set up using a cable.(most if I saw were Hoky)

Simple and EZ is what I like.(fix it on the side of the road) Here is where a L motor shines.

I picked up a cheap stainless jet ski throttle cable on ebay ($15) Link and mounted them up to my SU's. It's not amazingly gorgeous but it works perfectly and feels great!

Car377.jpg

I welded a little 'T' out of some square steel tubing. Drilled 2 holes to hold on to my exhaust manifold and one slightly angled upwards for the elbow of the throttle cable.

Car378.jpg

Car379.jpg

Car380.jpg

I used the end with the large 'nub' to pull down on my spindle. Fished the cable through the spindle lever and down into the elbow.

Car381.jpg

I then pulled my pedal out and drilled several holes at regular increments so I can adjust the amount of 'pull' Drilled a hole in my firewall relative to those holes pulled the cable through tested which whole I liked the feel of best and used these little cable clamps that are steel circles with set-screws to lock off the cable on my pedal arm. Just for extra safety I did nico Swage after the cable clamps, not pretty but its HARD to pull off a swage down by your pedal alone!

Car384.jpg

Car386.jpg

Been working smooth for 5 months now :cool:

• 1 month later...

He did a Cam change.

he said he needed more Low RPM torq. Maybe the carbs are to big?

he said he put a 440 lift cam and goes better than the 475lift cam that was in there.

So what size of these carbs do you think would work with my L18 with flat top 240z pistons,W53 head,L20b cam,recurved dizzy,5 spd trans??????

i wonder how one of these card would run on a stock l20b?

my dad ran a single 44mm SU on his courier back when i was a kid and it ran really good. and it was a 2300 that had some work done.

im pretty sure one would run fine on a stock to mild engine if it wasnt revving out alot.

their website said that they sell singles for like $350 with a filter. it wouldnt be hard to build a simple adapter to mount it to a stock intake...

So what size of these carbs do you think would work with my L18 with flat top 240z pistons,W53 head,L20b cam,recurved dizzy,5 spd trans??????

I would pick the smaller set they sell.

But maybe the SU have a advantage due to the slide helping keep up the air volicity.

Some people run the Z series SU on their L motors.

I myself would have picked the smaller carbs that they sell.the 42 mm kit

nice setup!!!

now ya got throw ANOTHER choice out there! <_<

Just call me Brett Favre ...

howz the ankle Mr Waffle? :P

012610-favre-likes-vicodin.jpg

i have pulled the trigger, at least twice... $$$

and still havent decided which motor will get the ITB FI setup :mellow:

• 2 years later...

You better PM IMTB

I heard of customer support issues with one of these suppliers if I remeber right.

also IMTB used the larger barb set when I think the smaller size would have been better for the street.

These carbs have a accell pump so the response hopefully will be better than a SU. SUs dont have a accel pump.

Pluse these are newer not 40 yr old junk

op stick with them or end up with something different??????????

I believe he went with soemthing else as I saw a post awhile back of trying soemthing different.

PM him if possible.

I would like to know also. I have a SU manifold and want to try seomthing besides dual Mikunis.

let us know or Pm me

Found a thread on the realm where imbt was trying to sell his rig with mikunis still installed... Not sure if he did but I don't think we'll hear from him here. Just going to have to but a set and see how it goes. Wish the guy a v performance (dealer of said carbs) wasn't such a flake. I've found multiple forums with complaints about the company from as far back as 05' has anyone else explored this idea using other companies?

Thanks

Joel

• 6 years later...

Mikunioz in Australia has been in business since 1985, they offer knowledgable professional service, and answer all questions . Phone or email them for advice . 

Using HSR's on  cars they have developed their own pump nozzles , the pumps are adjustable, but the stock Accelerator pump nozzles are to large,  42's are probably more suited than 45's for 2 lt  engines .

i have no association with Mikunioz  but in contacting them they answered all my queries .

• 1 year later...