Bought a 1986 Toyota Pickup, need advice...

11 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with my 1986 Toyota Pickup?

• Keep it and get the new motor.
    • Keep it and get a used motor.
    • Sell it and find one that is running and 5speed.

I chatted with the mechanic today and it sounds like he wants to buy it and part it out. He thinks I should look for something a bit cleaner rather than spending a bunch on an automatic truck. It looks pretty clean to me but then again I don't know Toyotas. Overall I would expect to make a small profit on the truck selling it as is.

My search for a truck won't end. I have a strong lead on a 5speed front disc 620 thats in good shape and cheap (carburetor problem supposedly) but working on a 620 or early Datsun is more in my skill range anyways.

I was ready to move forward with it but it sound like I should start with a slightly better? Oh well.

Thanks for all the advice. Its been very helpful. If I can ever get this 620 deal moving I'll put up a thread on that. ;)

I guess it is good to make a small profit ! that is a clean yota , but I guess you like what you like. My guess your mechanic throw in a used $200-300 motor , fix little things , turn it and sell it running !

Not trying to be a pain in your arse , why not part yourself to make a bit of coin ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is good to make a small profit ! that is a clean yota , but I guess you like what you like. My guess your mechanic throw in a used $200-300 motor , fix little things , turn it and sell it running !

Not trying to be a pain in your arse , why not part yourself to make a bit of coin ?

Eh, true. I'm not quite the beacon of logic some times. I don't think I could actually bring my self to part out a truck I still think is in good shape (hence why I have two stripped out 510 shells on my property.. I see them still being usable can't bring myself to cut them up :() So its better if some one else does it. Short of it being wrecked would be the only time i'd part something out

Oh well, there's more toyotas out there and plenty more time to find good deals. Live and learn. :hmm:

the more information about the truck, the more info I can get to you.

or just join ToyotaNation.com, go the truck section -95 (that's where all the EFI guys are at)

and we can definitely help you out.

22RE's are easy to find and easy to work on.

good luck

• 8 years later...

I had a 1987 the same model. I sold it when I moved out of state last September. When I sold it it had 91,000 miles on it. It was a four-wheel-drive very similar to this vehicle but it had a five speed. It was the four-cylinder naturally aspirated version. This vehicle is rocksolid. If I were you I would do  anything to get it running and keep it. I bought my truck 10 years ago for $3000 and although it was in rough condition I sold it for $3000. Let me emphasize, a bullet proof machine. Don’t let it get away from you. 

• 2 years later...