'77 620 drum brake rebuild kit? Where?

NoMoneyZ

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of a "drum brake rebuild kit".

Instead, usually you just get new "Brake shoes". If the drums are worn much you can get them turned or just go to to the wreckers and get good used ones, or buy new ones.

They also sell a "brake hardware kit", which is rarely bought, but has new springs, etc.

There is also wheel cylinder kits, and new bearings, and bearing seals.

Never heard of a "drum brake rebuild kit".

Instead, usually you just get new "Brake shoes". If the drums are worn much you can get them turned or just go to to the wreckers and get good used ones, or buy new ones.

They also sell a "brake hardware kit", which is rarely bought, but has new springs, etc.

There is also wheel cylinder kits, and new bearings, and bearing seals.

Thats basically what I'm looking for is a hardware kit with all new springs and seals. I am going to get the drums turned and new shoes. I should've been more specific on what exactly I was looking for. Wheel cylinder kit with all that would be good too. Should I just go the local Napa or autozone and piece it together? Thanks

• 2 months later...

Yeah, don't bother with the wheel cylinder repair kits. The seals are there to keep dirt out of the cylinders, but if the cylinders were leaking, replacing the seals won't help. Replacing the pistons might, but usually the cylinder walls are all scored up. They make a little hone for wheel cyls, but I've never used one.

There is no "all in one" kit. Generally, you buy 3 things:

1) Shoes

2) Springs

3) Wheel Cyls.

The shoes and springs are "per axle" and the cyls are "per wheel". Some front cyls are right or left, some are universal. The only difference is how the hose connection is oriented via a locating pin. "Left Only" and "Right only" have one locating pin hole in the cylinder body. Universal have pin holes for both and you just move the assembly for right/left use.

:lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-510-610-New-Rear-Wheel-Cylinder-Repair-Kits_W0QQitemZ350294571688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518f2efaa8

usually the cylinder walls are all scored up. They make a little hone for wheel cyls, but I've never used one.

ive rebuilt em before. :mellow:

emery cloth worked OK for a mild honing of the bore for a new seal.

if i had the choice i would NOT!