Datsun 310 transmission problem

310GX

I have a 1981 Datsun 310 GX. It is the hatchback, but, not the coupe. I had a coupe in highschool with the dogleg 5 speed. I put a dogleg in my hatchback and the gear pattern is reversed. It should look like this R-2-4 It looks like this now 4-2-R Does anyone know why this is? It would be the only car with this

1-3-5 5-3-1

gear pattern that I have ever heard of. It has an A-15 engine. Is there a linkage that is hooked up incorrectly or is there a different linkage for the 5 speed?

Please help.

thanks

Mat

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun 310 is model N10 (Pulsar family), a FWD Datsun. The 4-door Hatchbox was added in 1980, before that they only had 4-door sedan and 2-door hatchbox. I always liked the looks of the 2-dr Hach.

Was your original one a 1982? For 1982 Model Year (late 1981), the 310 switched from the old 60-series tranamission to the new 30-series tranmisson.

1982, 30-series 5-speed

1-3-5

2-4-R

Notice this in non-dogleg because 1st & 2nd are in-line.

The 60 was the strange one with the jackshaft that let you change the clutch so easy. The 30-series reminds me of the same year Accord tranmission, looks lighter and more compact.

Did you use the old 4-speed control linkage when you installed the 5-speed? It could be the reason. But I´m not sure why it messed the pattern that way…I mean left and right also changed place.

It should be like this

R-2-4

1-3-5

The normal “dogleg” pattern.

If you put a 5-speed from N10 or F10 into an E10 and use E10 4-speed linkage, it will turn the pattern upside down. Like this:

1-3-5

R-2-4

But it doesn´t change left to right and vice versa.

Check the gear linkage first. It is most probably the reason for strange pattern. You need to use 5-speed linkage with 5-speed gearbox.

Mat - I can keep an eye out at the Spokane U-Pulls for a linkage, but it might take awhile. I do see 310s now and then, but I don't know how common 5-speeds are. If you can find out the first and last month/year of 310s with the correct linkage, that would help me. Do you know if the upper end of the linkage is held to the shifter rods going into the trans by roll pins? That is how it is for the F10.

You might PM me your email address, so if I find anything I can contact you directly.

Len

• 3 weeks later...