How to build a cheap soda blaster

72 327

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people enjoy pictures... so here's some of the soda blasting I did. Though, I didn't use this DIY soda blaster. Instead I put baking soda in my sand blast and worked great.

SodaBlast2.jpg

SodaBlast1.jpg

SodaBlast0.jpg

As you can see, it didn't take off the cad plating unlike normal media. And it sure did clean up that grimy, thick coating of oil residue on the inside of the timing cover. A lot cheaper than hot tanking it, too!

What about anything else that's 'gritty'? Corn meal maybe. Build a small cabinet and collect and reuse it.

Not sure of the extent of the DIY blaster, but in my sand blaster I run playground sand from Home Depot (5.xx per bag, 50lbs) and it's pretty coarse. It'll take rust off and give a heavier blasted texture. Really cheap for it's quantity so I haven't put effort into collecting the sand.

On another note, the baking soda groups itself really easy and often do I find myself shaking my hopper to keep the suction going. A home made auger type device or agitator in the hopper would really help with keeping the flow steady.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so i hacked off a small section of blaster hose and did a little soda blasting today...

IMG_0494.jpg

i've also used a shutz gun and an old 1 quart undercoating can.. it works even better.

Dizzy before and after

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

engine before

IMG_0491.jpg

after

IMG_0502.jpg