Steering wheel removal

MudThug

Ok this is probably a stupid question, but I don't want to tear up my stock steering wheel, but how do I remove the stock wheel? Do I have to pry out the dastsun emblem to get to the nut?

I have tried searching, but came up with nothing.

My blinker leaver is getting hard to move and doesn't return on one side.

Hopefully a pic :) P1000707.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did this on my 73' Like they said you need to unscrew the screws from the backside of the horn pad. Then unplug the wire from horn pad to the steering hub. Take off nut. Now you could use a steering wheel puller but if you are strong enuff you can pull it off. I did this with mine & after a lot of pressure pulling "WHAM"! Fucker hit me rite in the upper lip. My eyes were watering for a good 3 minutes after. LOL

• Like 2

I just did this on my 73'

"WHAM"! Fucker hit me rite in the upper lip. My eyes were watering for a good 3 minutes after. LOL

too bad this isnt the first time ive heard this... no matter, still LMAO!

heard stories of people knocking themselves out :lol:

If you are careful, thump on the back side with open hands but turn your head so you don't loose teeth. Do NOT hammer on any steering component. Get a puller if it does not come off after 4-5 tries.

I use my hands to lightly hit alternately on the 10 and 2 o'clock positions of the front of a steering wheel, and they just fall off. I've never had to use a wheel puller in my life.

I wasn't able to hit mine off, it required some persuasion... I put the nut on and hit it with a brass-faced hammer while pulling on the wheel. It got the job dun.

I lubed the heck out of everything, but my blinker switch still doesn't return on the left, but it's allot smoother :rolleyes:

Yes, usually you can 'hit' them off. But if you took off dozens of wheels on different Datsuns, you'd eventually run into the need for a puller.