its that new game show, name that tranny?!!!

hacked521

allright so i go this tranny from charlie (charlie69) and im getting ready to throw it in my 521 which has an l16 and a 4 speed in it right now. I can either shorten a driveshaft and use the carrier bearing setup or should i switch to no carrier bearing and shorten a long driveshaft. which one should i do? oh and could you identify this tranny for me?

201001131103000.jpg

201001131103001.jpg

201001131104000.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I win?

Ok it was made in '80 or later so that eliminates the 620 and the 280z. It has a neutral switch which the 280zx and Maxima didn't have. It's an L series tranny so the only L series motor left is the first year 720.

If you have a 280zx tranny that is not as I have described it, let me know.

Unless you are in Australia and have an L motor in it, you should have a Z24, Z20 or SD25 in your '85. The trannys are very similar to look at but this one has an L series bolt pattern.

Here's a picture of a Z and an L series 5spd. if you have a Z series motor in your truck your tranny will look like the one on the left. If you look at the shifter and along the seam or rib in the top of the tranny and follow it up to the top you'll see there is an engine mounting bolt hole on both sides of it, but most importantly, the closest hole is about an inch to the right side. This makes it a Z series tranny. Now look at the tranny on the right. (ok it's tilted slightly but still can be seen) You'll see that the closest bolt hole is about an inch to the left side of the seam/rib, making it an L series tranny. Left is L series.

IMG_0306.jpg

I talked with My brother and he remembers that when we did the motor and trans back in 94 that the motor and trans came out of a 1980 720 and was put into a 1980 720 I bought for US $50.

The trans and motor I gave you Hacked are both out of a 1980 720.

Hope this helps.

well datzenmike you obviously won!. Thanks a bunch for the help! as for what you win...well, ill get back to you on that. Charlie69, thats awesome!!! kinda cool that both the motor and tranny come from the same make and model, will make it easier to remember when i look for parts. There should totally be a sticky showing what transmissions are what and what engines they mount up to. I know it would take forever to do but it would eliminate people asking over and over what transmission this is. just an idea.

Wow, didn't expect it to be that close. I originally posted a few paragraphs on why it was from a 280zx or Maxima but then noticed the neutral sw. Dug out some pictures and deleted that post. Glad I did. :lol:

If I see you at Canby I might drink a beer. :thumbup:

So is the Z bolt pattern the same as the Truck KA bolt pattern? or are they totally different? If I understand correctly the Z bell housing will make the stick lean to the right (passenger side) if bolted to an L series engine with L series motor mounts. If you use the Z block with the L series mounts it will lean the same right? Or am i remembering this wrong from the Jason Gray info?

-Dime

That could be a Zcar late close ratio 5speed.

The truck one may be close to the same just different ratios.

5speedlate.jpg

5speedsearly.jpg

I can't find the page I found these on. I will keep looking it was at the bottom of a nice list of rear end ratios for Z cars of course.

I usually use the "wings" near the output to tell. But the bolt that holds down the speedo gear is a good sign too.

There is also the comp 5 speed but it looks really weird you will know when you see it.

Its good to see the bell housing pic that Mike made. That will really help.

-Dime