How to fix Stock Hitachi Carb

DatDoug

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the new carb tonight after 3 weeks of waiting. When I noticed the bcdd isn't like the one in my car. The kind you adjust with a screw driver. The new one has a vacuum line connection. I don't know where that would go to. Any ideas?

nope. Im fucking pissed right now. They sent me a fucking california model carb. I need a federal. You see that screw in the center of the bcdd? on a cal model it is a tube that goes to come vacuum line that adjusts it. not a screw. so pissed. 

Make up your mind. You say the new carb has the tube. Then you say you need a California carb with a tube.

• 1 year later...

So I know this thread is 5 years old but it seems fitting to ask here. What wears out on a hitichi? I've been having the same problem with mine for the past year that it won't send any fuel through the idel circuit. I hear the anti dieseling solenoid open and close, rebiult the thing 2 times, cleaned every hole, messed with the mixture screw, and the b.c.d.d. (I think) valve setting and it still won't idle lower then 1600. It's on an l20b that sat for years. I've replaced all the vacuum lines and I know there are no leaks. I can't switch to a weber because I live in California and my 510 is a 78 so it gets smoged. Any ideas on what it could be? And where I can get a new old stock?

I had the same problem with mine & after literally fixing every possible problem including buying a like new rebuilt carbie from National Carburetors out of Florida it still had the same problem. Finally realized I had a large vacuum leak because my manifold gaskets were leaking due to the bolts vibrating loose & 2 of the damn bolts that attach the carb to the intake go in upside-down were completely missing. New gaskets, new bolts, lock-washers & some threadlocker & now she runs like new. Get her done!
  • Like 1

I just put that gasket on. Less then 200 miles ago. No just carb cleaner mike. I don't know when the new carb is coming. I put the engine back together for now just so I can get around town. Runs like shit since that fuck at the smog shop touched it.

If the old gasket wasn't properly scraped off, and the surfaces weren't really clean and smooth before you put the new one on, 200 miles in a dirty/rich running engine is plenty of time to muck it up again. Once my car was running so bad I would have to clean the spark plugs EVERY time I drove it or it would crap out on me.  Vacuum leaks are the freakin' worst! 

nope. Im fucking pissed right now. They sent me a fucking california model carb. I need a federal. You see that screw in the center of the bcdd? on a cal model it is a tube that goes to come vacuum line that adjusts it. not a screw. so pissed. 

Same thing happened to me, but I needed California and they sent me a Fed. Lol.   Idiots!!!