Fiero radiator into a 521

521newbie

I got asked to share how I. Put a fiero radiator into my 521. Here is a short write up.

Drain cooling system

Remove the radiator and fan shroud

Bottom:

I used 2 steel strips about 13 1/2 inches long and bent to be struts as seen in the picture below so that the radiator is straight up right. I used the stock lower bolts in their old location that held the radiator in at the top of the strut.

there are carefully drilled holes I made at the bottom of the radiator to attach to the end of the steel strut via bolts, washers, and nuts. Measuring and checking level often.

MonJan11202130PST2010.jpg

Top:

I used some left over aluminum stipping and bent them to act as tie downs. Measure to be even and drilll out holes to attach as seen in the picture. More bolts, washers, and nuts here. Rubber hose cut length wise turned out to be a good bushing

MonJan11212150PST2010.jpg

Clearances:

only issue was the radiator cap clearance on the radiator support (turning the cap). A little grinding with the dremmel tool cleared that up and it's barely noticable. Hood clears nicely too.

MonJan11202019PST2010.jpg

Sittin nice and low.

MonJan11201957PST2010.jpg

refill and go. You all like my overflow bottle. Just for looks really with that cap... hope this help with ideas or use mine. BTW there are no rub or vibration issues with the plastic tanks. That wasn't easy.

If I missed something please let me know.

Also...

The radiator hoses:

Stock lower and upper I found at Autozone by harrassing the parts guy to let me go in the back to measure them. Picked one up and only had to cut off 2 inches or so. It's a great fit. Sorry I can't remeber the part #.

MonJan11202050PST2010.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking the time to write up the installation and post pics. It's always interesting to me seeing different radiator setups. Did you have any trouble with the lower hose clearing the alternator?

The lower hose gave me no trouble. Looks like a larger alternator would fit too.I think there is enough room for an electric fan if someone wanted to go that route. I'll post a couple pictures with clearances. It would just take finding one to fit to

the radiator. A project for this summer after the dogleg swap is done.

once my electric fan comes in Ill post some pictures (ordered it dec 20th, damn holidays) with the fiero rad in a 620. I plan to mount the fan between the grill and rad, but we will see the size when i get it here.

• 4 weeks later...