My lil mule

elmerfudpucker

Well I think I need to get in gear and get back on the truck, money is still short but I want to get the headers on it ASAP. Still waiting on my amp to get back, 2 more weeks :(

But my next issue is the ignition. I will be wiring some relays and a couple of switches and the key is going bye-bye. I think I have a pretty cool idea on how I will make it start ;)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my next issue is the ignition. I will be wiring some relays and a couple of switches and the key is going bye-bye. I think I have a pretty cool idea on how I will make it start ;)

Now its time to really shine, you wire runnin mad man! I hope its something really wierd and overdone ;)

Well after the Bar-B-Que at Kelly's Sunday, I went home and started on the back brakes, my passenger side drum was FUBARed so I finished the drivers side and then hearded over to Kevin's and had him turn it real quick. I have parking brake again!! The alarm may be coming out shortly. I have a Bluetooth unit on the way, so the phone will be the remote now! Also tossed a new set of wipers on her today too! I love my truck!

Well after a trip to Bananahamok's crib, I got a few more parts for the 620, like a garett steering wheel and adapter, extra voltage regulator, marker light and a couple other odds and ends and a motor cycle. Me and DatsuNoob rolled back to his house and took a torch to the gear shifter and rebent it for my 720. I will post before and after pics tomarrow sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

I fount my 1982 Datsun 720 from a old man that had bought it new hewas the only owner. he replaced the 82 motor with a 87 Nissan 2.2L 4-cylender 8 Valve gas motor, put a 87 5-speed trans in it, and he replaced the rear end out of a 87 Nissan as well. the truck is only 2wd so i lowered it 3 inches in the back with lowering blocks and lowered the front using the tortion bars (located by the drive shaft for anyone trying to find them). i cut the exhaust off right behind the cab and was going to run a Y piipe into dual exhausts ran with two flowmasters but i like the rumble of the straight pipes on it, i think it ups the HP more before cutting the exhaust off i had the little 2.2L running at about 160HP which isn't bad seeing how the motor came with 105HP, all i've done is little cheap mods right now, the max power that is said can be ran from this motor was 375HP with twin turbos and a lot of time and money into it. I'm looking into a 3.1L V6 motor and trans for the truck but i'm debating on it because i like the power i'm getting out of the 2.2 I have now, i know the motor nor trans are at there peek yet so I'm probaly going to stick with the 2.2 till i max the powere out on it and the trans and see what i can get out of it.. The rear end however I think will go out soon if i give the truck any more power I need to find a good type of rearend that will be able to hold the power i'm wanting in the truck, and one that has a little longer gears because the truck tops out at about 100 MPH right now because of how short the gears are.. Granted there realyis no where that i need to be doing 100 MPH at but its nice knowing what your car has just in case. I went to a drag strip once with it and ran 96 MPH in a 1/4 Mile whice isn't bad seeing the trucks gears woun't let it go any faster. The 720 is by far a good truck and if you take care of them and tune them just right they are capable of a lot of power.

I fount my 1982 Datsun 720 from a old man that had bought it new hewas the only owner. he replaced the 82 motor with a 87 Nissan 2.2L 4-cylender 8 Valve gas motor, put a 87 5-speed trans in it, and he replaced the rear end out of a 87 Nissan as well. the truck is only 2wd so i lowered it 3 inches in the back with lowering blocks and lowered the front using the tortion bars (located by the drive shaft for anyone trying to find them). i cut the exhaust off right behind the cab and was going to run a Y piipe into dual exhausts ran with two flowmasters but i like the rumble of the straight pipes on it, i think it ups the HP more before cutting the exhaust off i had the little 2.2L running at about 160HP which isn't bad seeing how the motor came with 105HP, all i've done is little cheap mods right now, the max power that is said can be ran from this motor was 375HP with twin turbos and a lot of time and money into it. I'm looking into a 3.1L V6 motor and trans for the truck but i'm debating on it because i like the power i'm getting out of the 2.2 I have now, i know the motor nor trans are at there peek yet so I'm probaly going to stick with the 2.2 till i max the powere out on it and the trans and see what i can get out of it.. The rear end however I think will go out soon if i give the truck any more power I need to find a good type of rearend that will be able to hold the power i'm wanting in the truck, and one that has a little longer gears because the truck tops out at about 100 MPH right now because of how short the gears are.. Granted there realyis no where that i need to be doing 100 MPH at but its nice knowing what your car has just in case. I went to a drag strip once with it and ran 96 MPH in a 1/4 Mile whice isn't bad seeing the trucks gears woun't let it go any faster. The 720 is by far a good truck and if you take care of them and tune them just right they are capable of a lot of power.

The 2.2 motor was only made and used for two years from '81-'82 plus or minus, or unless you are from Australia or somewhere outside of North America. Otherwise the Z 22 was long gone by '87. There were Z24i engines still used in '87 in the D21 Hardbody. The old boy you bought it from doesn't know what he's talking about. If it has 8 plugs look below the #2 exhaust side plug the engine size is stamped into the block. Maybe start your own build thread and post some pics of the engine and what you've done with it..

Well it has been a minute but here is an update.

Got a new Weber 32-36, new rotors, and new pads, and the amp issue is worked out.

The Amp rundown is as follows: Amp#1 smoked on June 8th. Then I thought what was my amp got back to me 3 days ago. I hooked it up and it smoked too, I got a call later the next day and was told it was a different amp and my amp was still at his house. I ran out and got it, hooked it up at his house and it works! And I will tell you all now, the volume you heard at Canby was NOTHING!! This frackin thing is at 50% of power and it easily 4 times louder than the Zapco and still hits clean!! I will be tweeking it out a bit more later.

The Bluetooth keyless entry unit is next. I think I will pull the Compustar and just use it.

The Weber has the truck purring!! granted the exhaust still sounds like shit.

IMAG0189.jpg

And the rotors look sweet!

IMAG0185-1.jpg

:D

:huh: ummm if you post pics...create your own thread please, Sorry Mike, no offence aimed at you, I dont want to sound like a douchebag, but dude can post it in the engine section. I would rather he didnt post them here. :)

Not at all Don, I corrected the text on that post.

New rotors look sexy.

Well Dave advised shimming the motor mount to get the header off the torsion bar, it worked except now it buzzes the bar every now and again. I will work on it some more later. I also pulled the carb back off and redid the gaskets, and also took a stone to the adapter plates and intake to smooth them out.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

I think I am going to do a bit more work to the plates so that they breathe a bit better.

Guest DatsuNoob

Back on my L series header, after some hammer treatment it still would hit the torsion bar occasionally and make a loud ringing, rattle noise if it was cold/running rough, or upon start-up/shut-off. I had a scrap of header wrap insulation I put around the bar to pad the noise. Worked pretty well.

Well after two sets of gaskets I got tired of the vacuum leaks between the adapter plates for the carb. :angry: I pulled them all off, broke out the jb weld and now my intake is a one piece weber intake!! ;) Cut a new gasket between the carb and upper plate and my lil mule is up and running a bit better. :) Also reshimmed the drivers side motor mount and the header doesnt buzz the torsion bar anymore! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well Dimerforlife13 got my stickers to me, took him a bit but he had family issues. They fit the bill for what I asked for being I wanted bigger than what others provided and does custom requests on the fly within a week turn around. I will do business with him again.

First off I wanted a bigger flag for the back canopy.

IMAG0224.jpg

Closeup, love how the chrome black comes thru!! and check out the Bamboo font!!

IMAG0223.jpg

One of my "Ghost Rats" They are mounted on the inside so you cant see them till the light inside comes on at night.

IMAG0225.jpg

He also did a couple "Ratsun.net" in Bamboo font that I havent placed yet, more on that later.