What SHOULD I have?

irsa76

Ok, my 1981 720 has an L18 with 5 speed, all factory, currently in it. I picked up a second tranny which has the code 63A stamped on it. Apprently it was swapped between a couple of built L20b powered rally cars and no one liked it, not sure why. What trans should I have in my truck at the moment? A quick eyeball didn't reveal a damm thing, apart from more oil then what was under my old Triumph. Would the 63A work in my truck?

Oh yeah, what rear end should I have as well?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory L18 in an '81, chuckle, I would not know where to begin. It's like nothing we have for the 720s.

The 63A probably means nothing. There should be a model number on the flat surface between the top two engine mounting bolts. A dealer may be able to look it up, dunno. Got a picture, maybe someone can tell you what it isn't.

For an L 18 a 4.375 rear would be fine, and is probably what you have.

63A does mean something. The 63A is the code for the dogleg, which was used on the Aussie market '78-82 Stanza (510 here in the US) as well as any other 4-cyl L or NAPS-Z equipped car in the late 70s (Silvia, etc)

While it's a rare tranny, it's something the Bluebird guys would use. Not really useful in a truck. Rally guys wouldn't like it if they don't like the oddball shift pattern or the fact that they're not very strong.

The tranny in his 720 will be the longer, more stout 71B trans. It's a physically longer than the 63A. Will the 63A fit? Well, it'll bolt on, but it'll be 1/3 meter too short and need the shifter located forward that far too.

63A does mean something. The 63A is the code for the dogleg, which was used on the Aussie market '78-82 Stanza (510 here in the US) as well as any other 4-cyl L or NAPS-Z equipped car in the late 70s (Silvia, etc)

While it's a rare tranny, it's something the Bluebird guys would use. Not really useful in a truck. Rally guys wouldn't like it if they don't like the oddball shift pattern or the fact that they're not very strong.

The tranny in his 720 will be the longer, more stout 71B trans. It's a physically longer than the 63A. Will the 63A fit? Well, it'll bolt on, but it'll be 1/3 meter too short and need the shifter located forward that far too.

(chuckle :D) I stand corrected.