Blacking out headlights and taillights

slam_dat_sun

I could see doing it on the low beam since its a projector..but the high beam....you just lost your relective surface....

the highs use a metal crosshair painted black. when lights are off, the chrome reflector pics up the black. when the lights are on, the light bounces off the chrome reflector and past the crosshairs. there is no loss of light output.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the highs use a metal crosshair painted black. when lights are off, the chrome reflector pics up the black. when the lights are on, the light bounces off the chrome reflector and past the crosshairs. there is no loss of light output.

he didn't mean the crosshairs. he meant blacking out the lights. They blacked out the reflector which reduces the light output.

As far as I'm concerned blacking out tail and side marker lights is absolutely fucking stupid as it gets. The lights are there so others see you and don't run into you. Blacking them out is a criminal act and I for one don't ever want to run into one of those assholes.

+1

As long as the function of the lights remain 100% visible and intact, I could care less. But I had a really good opportunity driving home just now to rear end this Civic because his blacked out taillights were so dark, I couldn't hardly see his blinker. Fortunately, I can gauge speed and realized he was slowing down to turn into a parking garage.

But really, why make it easier for people to hit you? Fixer: Your setup looks good. Lights can still be clearly seen when activated.

As long as the function of the lights remain 100% visible and intact, I could care less. But I had a really good opportunity driving home just now to rear end this Civic because his blacked out taillights were so dark, I couldn't hardly see his blinker. Fortunately, I can gauge speed and realized he was slowing down to turn into a parking garage.

But really, why make it easier for people to hit you? Fixer: Your setup looks good. Lights can still be clearly seen when activated.

Thank you. I wanted to make sure they could be seen clearly. She now has stock tails on there (now that we're back in so cal) but I plan on doing another set for her car, just not as dark.

• 3 weeks later...

he didn't mean the crosshairs. he meant blacking out the lights. They blacked out the reflector which reduces the light output.

in the BMW's case, they simply painted the crosshairs black. it reflects onto the reflector which makes it appear black, but it is actually chrome.