Blacking out headlights and taillights

slam_dat_sun

Well I haven't came around a write up on how to nightshade/tint/blackout your taillights. So if there already is one maybe this will also help someone out. Maybe this will be enough interest to make it a sticky who knows.

Things you will need:

A can of VHT Nightshade (local parts store, online)

tools to remove the light fixtures

Your choice of clear coat, personally I picked rattle can Dupi-Color

Clean rag

Green Scotch Bright pad

Newspaper or cardboard

Something to prop up your taillights ( I used a 2x4 )

Once you have every lens you want to tint, use a green Scotch Bright pad and scuff every part where you will spray. I doesn't really matter which direction you go in just as long as you DONT see any shiny spots.

Now the fun part! Make sure everything is well wiped with the clean rag. Grab the Nightshade and shake for about 1 min, and start spraying keep the can about 12" away from the taillight. You DON'T want to spray it on too heavy or it will run this stuff is very thin! Put as many coats as you want, depending on the darkness. Let each coat sit for about 2-3 min. I like the tails real dark so here is my progress of the shades.

About 5 or 6 coats later...

Once you let the Nightshade COMPLETELY dry, use the green Scotch Bright pad and re scuff the taillights and what ever else you decided to tint.

Next is to put about 2-3 coats of clear coat on the Nightshaded parts. Put the clear on as thick as possible with out running it, so do a couple of tests on a piece of paper so you have an idea on how thick/thin it will come out.

Once dry to the touch reinstall on the car.

I am not responsible for any mess ups or damage to your car or taillights!

I Hope this helped out. After your clear has dried you can sand and buff and reinstall you fixtures on your whip .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info! I have never tried the VHT brand as I use the "window tint" paint that is used for R/C cars. since it is made for polycarbonate bodies, I figured it would work good for the tails too! Have used it for years without any issues. Like Slam says...iit ALSO is very thin so you have to be careful, but it lets enough light through as to technically be legal (here in AZ anyways) Just adding to the information as another resource for the paint.

Ya see, I'm TRYING to help lol :lol:

Honestly though if you google head light or tailing tinting or even vht nightshade you get PAGES of in depth write ups with pics. Doesn't hurt to have another here but without pics it's sub par and useless. Anyone can read directions, they are already on the can, pictures though are what give people real insight as to the process.....or jesus at least the before and final....

more :-)

28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

Edited by 72240z
Ya see, I'm TRYING to help lol :lol:

Honestly though if you google head light or tailing tinting or even vht nightshade you get PAGES of in depth write ups with pics. Doesn't hurt to have another here but without pics it's sub par and useless. Anyone can read directions, they are already on the can, pictures though are what give people real insight as to the process.....or jesus at least the before and final....

more :-)

28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

You are correct I should have posted pics, but the fact of the matter is I don't have any :lol:

I will see if I have some pics around. I know I don't have any of the steps, but will see if I can help out by showing the end results. If I can find my extra set of xb tails I will do the step by step and post up...but after moving, that's a big IF!! lol!

• 2 months later...

Good info! I have never tried the VHT brand as I use the "window tint" paint that is used for R/C cars. since it is made for polycarbonate bodies, I figured it would work good for the tails too! Have used it for years without any issues. Like Slam says...iit ALSO is very thin so you have to be careful, but it lets enough light through as to technically be legal (here in AZ anyways) Just adding to the information as another resource for the paint.

+1 on the Window Tint for PolyCarb R/C car bodies.

I had them on my old tail lights... til it got messed up :(

• 1 year later...

I like to check out all of the civics around Atlanta, with the "smoked" tail lamps all oxidized out from UV rays. If you are not using a professional two part clearcoat tinted with a black candy concentrate, then you are simply ruining a set of tail lamps. Rattle cans are for kids to huff and vandals. Good luck with ruining a set of tail light in the name of being "cool" for cheap.

I'm just sayin'

As far as I'm concerned blacking out tail and side marker lights is absolutely fucking stupid as it gets. The lights are there so others see you and don't run into you. Blacking them out is a criminal act and I for one don't ever want to run into one of those assholes.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned blacking out tail and side marker lights is absolutely fucking stupid as it gets. The lights are there so others see you and don't run into you. Blacking them out is a criminal act and I for one don't ever want to run into one of those assholes.

Depends to me, black vs smoke (there is a light smoke).

Also dont black the tail lights(reverse light is ok since it is rarely used, but still not black).

And finally, please dont smoke orange lenses!!! Clear only.

Get them professionally done. DIY tint and rattle can clear will oxidize on plastic very fast. I had mine done professionally in 08, they still look new, while my friend did his this way 6 months later, and his look like shit now.

FxCam_1270229242112.jpg

FxCam_1270229093970.jpg

FxCam_1270229084395.jpg

FxCam_1270229044696.jpg

FxCam_1270229017940.jpg

I have never seen a car look good that used VHT.

Here is a sample of my work... this is the wifes car. you can see them with the parking lights and brake lights. You can even see the reflectors.

07SmokedTails_closeup.jpg

07SmokedTails_brakelamps.jpg

07SmokedTails_parkinglamps.jpg

If you're going to do it, take the time. And spend the money. Upgrade to HIDs too.

http://www.r3vlimite...ead.php?t=94540

normal_090107-001.JPG

normal_090107-010.JPG

(oh and first to post actual oics)

I could see doing it on the low beam since its a projector..but the high beam....you just lost your relective surface....

Cars with inside bezels, I take them apart and paint it. I try not to smoke the outter lens..but did it on my car. With the 5000K HID's I see just fine.