My island '74 710

datzenmike

Well off to a great start. I noticed the alternator belt very loose but runs fine. I didn't tighten it because I want to swap an IR one on. Was up to see my junk 200sx the other week and noticed that I had failed to grab the alternator and the EI coil off of it. The '74's came with 50 amp alts. The Canadian 200sx are equipped with 60 amp and internally regulated so it goes without saying I want it and the external regulator gone.

Here's the two of them. '74 on left and 60 amp '80 200sx on right:

710IRaltswap002Large.jpg

The swap was uneventful. Everything fit perfectly, wiring, belt and connections. I removed the regulator and cut the connector off and removed the pins.

710IRaltswap012Large.jpg

Next I connected the two jumpers and soldered the connections, shrunk wrapped and pushed the pins back into the plug.

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

Now I have a nice clean plug that fits on the stock connector and contains the two jumper wires to allow the IR alternator to power the battery and also work the charge light in the dash.

710IRaltswap015Large.jpg

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got to work on my IR alt. swap today. Turns out that the diagram I followed is slightly flawed and one of the jumpers now powers the choke heater relay and keeps it on... permanently. So to fix this I am using an on signal from the coil to turn the choke heater on which only happens when the ignition key is on. I pulled the Black/Blue coil wire from the harness connector and spliced in a Light/Green jumper, soldered it and used heat shrink tubing. Then replaced it in the harness connector.

710IRaltswap018Large.jpg

Next unplug the choke heater relay pop out the Yellow pin and reconnect the plug. Cut the pin off the Yellow wire and solder the new jumper wire from the coil circuit. Use heat shrink tubing to protect it and good to go.

710IRaltswap016Large.jpg

Well good news is the relay is now off with the key but the charge light is on. Might have to add a diode to the charge light circuit. More on this when I get it going.

On a positive note I removed the park benches from the 710 today.

710IRaltswap021Large.jpg710IRaltswap022Large.jpg

sweet progress is the brake light on as well? in the 610 the choke and brake light are on the same circut

Don't know. The choke heater can only be on when the key is on and the brake power is from a fuse that is on all the time even if the key is off.

Bonvo did you ever put in an IR alternator???

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Oh yeah!!!!! (wish I had the rear one too)

Says something about Volvo on it too. Tried Google... nothing.

Three point motors ?

I kind of remember them being Datsun/Volvo :unsure:

The 200 has a dealer tag on the trunk "The Datsun Center victoria" Never seen this one before :huh:

sweet progress is the brake light on as well? in the 610 the choke and brake light are on the same circut

Mine was attached to the + side of the coil...interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

Lou :

710partsLarge.jpg

First good weather in a long time and some time off to do stuff. I got pen and paper and went over the car and listed all the small things needed for it, like the rubber bumper under the gas lid and the plastic clip that holds the hood prop in place. There's a pair of 710s 'down the road' and the guy will take $50 for anything I want off of them. May borrow a truck and go down on the next long weekend in April.

Check the ash trays and lighter:

710parts027Large.jpg

Measured the tranny at 31"- ish. Hard to tell with the drive shaft slipped over the end. My L4N71b is 32" so there may be enough slack to fit it on. Would love to convert to 4 speed to try it before switching to standard.

There's a pair of 710s 'down the road' and the guy will take $50 for anything I want off of them. May borrow a truck and go down on the next long weekend in April.

Sorry,,, but,,,,, I NEED: the passenger side rear emblem, and the passenger side rear side marker light,,,, and the stainless trim for the back hatch that holds the "wood panels"

Also: I'm missing the stainless "body line" trim for the passenger front fender....

Again: Sorry,,,,, but where else am I going to find 710 wagon trim pieces?

Found a pair of glasses in the back with a name and address. Not from the owner the last owner got it from. I can only trace the car back into the 90s, maybe late 80s when Hans bought it. He bought it with 14355 miles showing but there's a note of + 18892 in the owner's manual, so maybe the speedometer was replaced. Hans passed away in 2002 and it's sat ever since. The speedo is now 23,138 and you can see just below it a tape with 18,892 on the speedo face. So could be just over 42,000 miles.

Getthe71011909014Large.jpg

Has original muffler.

Sorry,,, but,,,,, I NEED: the passenger side rear emblem, and the passenger side rear side marker light,,,, and the stainless trim for the back hatch that holds the "wood panels"

Also: I'm missing the stainless "body line" trim for the passenger front fender....

Again: Sorry,,,,, but where else am I going to find 710 wagon trim pieces?

The rear emblems fit either side I think.

Don't have any wagons, sorry. There's one near me (yellow one below) that's on the road. It's a Cali car.

Is this the stainless trim you mention. The sedan fenders must be the same?

Wagon rear markers are rectangular I think, sedans are red and amber and look like this:

710stuff018Large.jpg

The stainless trim for the wagon tailgate looks like this?:

710stuff022Large.jpg

Will keep my eyes open, wagon parts are no good to me. :lol:

cars lookin good mike

indy if i were you i would remove the trim down the side of the car its only there to act as a kinda bumper for shopping carts looks kinda tacky imho and a smooth hatch might be bad ass

• 2 weeks later...

Well on a tip I located two 710s south of me about 25 miles. The same place where I got my brake/clutch pedals. The old boy there has agreed to anything I want off them for $50 as he plans to scrap them and about 100+ other vehicles he has this summer. I am so wound up!!!! Have tomorrow off at work, my wife just insured our car, I have all the tools collected that I will need (I hope) and the weather looks reasonable.

Expect to get a few missing rubber bumps for the hood and gas filler closing, trunk rubber plug, easily broken things like grills, tail lights parking lights and door handles. Need the 4 speed metal cover on the tranny hump, steering column, steering box, dash, wiper motor and arms, heater, gas tank, hood, visors, (too much to list) They are both 2 door and the bodies are pretty bad shape. May try to grab the axles/rear end its a 3:70 I have 4:11. One has the block out so the tranny is accessible so I may grab it just to take apart and wonder how it works. :lol:

Will charge the digital camera and get some shots of the shit there. Camaros F/birds, Studebaker... can't remember them all.

Wow I just spent 6 hours stripping 710 parts.

Got a rad (L20B),

dash, heater,

carpet (for a template for making a new one),

steering box,

Steering column complete,

m/c & booster,

clutch m/c hard line and slave,

windshield washer reservoir,

cowl,

wiper motor and wiper arms,

front windshield trim,

rear trim and glass,

1 1/2 sets of tail lights and harness,

2 plastic clips for the hood prop,

4 L starters with pos. cable,

Can anyone ID this car?

cars004Large.jpg

cars002Large.jpg

Stopped at a friends to pick up 'something' and took these:

cars006Large.jpg

Nice car for the Simon Templar.

cars005Large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The green one belongs to a Realm member... sweet ain't it?

Went back a week later and got some more 'stuff' and didn't bother with two sets of 710 wheel covers that look like them. They look like :

Getthe71011909009Large.jpg

They were ... ok with a few dings.

Today after work I replaced the diff oil with synthetic. I have a couple of liters of DOT 4 brake fluid and will get around to bleeding and flushing the brake system later this week, weather permitting.

Mrs. datzen assures me that it will be insured for the road by the end of April. Then I can begin road testing it, looking for problem areas that might crop up on the road trip to Canby. Canby, I heard of this meeting place for Datsun maniacs for 4+ ? years, even back on NWDE. Everyone went but me. :crying: