My island '74 710

datzenmike

Bomb my Datsun, skib!!!!

Speaking of bombing. I was bombing around today in the 710. I'm used to the heavy 620. This thing flies for a autotragic! 4:11 gears too so it hums on the highway. I thought the shifts would be mushy but (for me) they were snappy.

we can do it :rofl:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well had to drive her last night after dark. For what ever reason no charge. Well fuck it I wanted the KA alt in there anyway and I'm not taking the 720 one out and in and out again so in it went. Made a small jumper so I can plug the 80 amp alt into the stock two prong plug. Spliced, soldered, shrink wrap tubing, plastic harness wrap and electrical taped like this:

71080ampKAaltswap001Large.jpg

The HEAVY gauge output wire is 3 times as thick as the stock one so I'm using the KA and soldered a lug on the end and ran to the starter...

71080ampKAaltswap002Large.jpg

It seems to be charging at 14.5 volts or so. I also put electronic flashers is because the old ones were so slow.

Thanks man. Wasn't always that way. Twist together and masking tape to get on the road before 7PM to PARTY!!!! Only to have it catch on fire at 2AM :lol:. FTShit! Weather is great and I have the time, the tools and know better than to do a shitty job.

Canby is a great motivator, probably the biggest there is! Bonvo please try to make it. If not, do what I did and start now to get ready for Canby '11. Every time I have a loony or toony I pick it out and drop in my sock drawer. Have over $50 since last fall on top of money saved for the trip. This would pay for camping at least so all I need is to get there. Damn it would be great to meet you in person.

FORGOT ... I also swapped in a new (old) starter. The other one would click once or twice before starting so I had a look in my parts shed... there were 9 starters! And one diesel starter! :lol:

Well been cleaning the interior and getting to know the car. Carpets are good in the back yet the hump is all fuzzy.

interiorcleanup002Large.jpg

To this:

interiorcleanup003Large.jpg

This:

interiorcleanup001Large.jpg

To this:

interiorcleanup005Large.jpg

Used a butane bar-b-q lighter to singe the threads off.

Got some thin board and traced the crappy divider that hides the gas tank and made another cover for the spare tire well. The rubber mat will cover it.

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers001L-2.jpg

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers002L-1.jpg

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers003L-2.jpg

Also the starter just clicks lightly some times and doesn't turn over. Sometimes if you turn to start several times it will catch and begin turning and away you go. If I short the terminal with a wrench it always starts. I replaced the starter and have changed the ignition switch and it seemed better, but really bad today. It's like there is a weak signal from the key that doesn't pull the solenoid in on the starter. May have to install a hot start relay like Hainz suggests.

Got some thin board and traced the crappy divider that hides the gas tank and made another cover for the spare tire well. The rubber mat will cover it.

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers001L-2.jpg

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers002L-1.jpg

Trunkcleanupandreplacecovers003L-2.jpg

Also the starter just clicks lightly some times and doesn't turn over. Sometimes if you turn to start several times it will catch and begin turning and away you go. If I short the terminal with a wrench it always starts. I replaced the starter and have changed the ignition switch and it seemed better, but really bad today. It's like there is a weak signal from the key that doesn't pull the solenoid in on the starter. May have to install a hot start relay like Hainz suggests.

Mike, the autobox is nothing to sneeze at out on the highway, with the 4.11's and the 1:1 drive you should be humming along. Alveen was smoking along on the cruise in his autobox 610 ....

Mike, the autobox is nothing to sneeze at out on the highway, with the 4.11's and the 1:1 drive you should be humming along. Alveen was smoking along on the cruise in his autobox 610 ....

Driving into town at 80km I keep expecting a shift that never comes. It's really humming with 13 inch tires and 4.11s. When you nail it at that speed it goes! Hmmm L4N71B first and then a 5 spd????

...Hmmm L4N71B first and then a 5 spd????

Nah. After all the effort you will be putting into the L4N71B swap, trust me, you'll keep the automatic ;)

Driving into town at 80km I keep expecting a shift that never comes. It's really humming with 13 inch tires and 4.11s. When you nail it at that speed it goes! Hmmm L4N71B first and then a 5 spd????

Me, I'd go with the 4 speed auto! I've really got to try to get those mags off for you, it'll help out on the revs!

So ever since I got the 710 the starter clicks several times then cranks over. Sometimes it just starts but usually click, click. I've changed the ignition switch on another matter and figured it was the starter solenoid. Changed it with one of my 8 other starters laying around and if anything it got worse!. Checked the voltage at the solenoid in the start position and it's only 5-8 volts! So it's time for a hot start relay.

I found the interlock relay for the automatic tranny. This interrupts the start signal if in any position other than PARK and NEUTRAL. I want that and it's also in a good spot for splicing in a relay. I'll use the output that usually goes to the solenoid to trigger the relay.

Hotstartrelay001Large.jpg

Removed both to find out which one is the out (one on the right) to the starter and put the other back. The right one I cut and ran to the ONE terminal of the relay the other TWO to ground. The relay used was a Nissan from a 720.

Hotstartrelay002Large.jpg

The wire to the starter solenoid is now connected to the THREE terminal and +12 to the FIVE terminal. When the key is in START and tranny in park/neutral, power flows to ground and energizes the relay which connects terminal 3 and 5 and 12 volts goes to the starter solenoid. Bingo... it works.

Today I need to find out why the heat gauge barely moves. It never reaches the normal running area and is usually about one needle width up from the rest position. So off with the thermostat housing which, even though I was careful and turned 1/16 turn back and forth to loosen... the bolt snapped off!! Good news is there was a nub sticking up.

Coolingsystemtuneup001Large.jpg

A little heat and vice grips...

Coolingsystemtuneup004Large.jpg

Looks like an original thermostat, probably never changed. Has a rubber seal that is all puckered and won't allow it to close...

Coolingsystemtuneup002Large.jpg

Got several 'new' old bolts and ground down one, rubbed a bit of grease on it and ran it in and out of the bolt holes. Look at all the shit

Coolingsystemtuneup005Large.jpg

Coolingsystemtuneup006Large.jpg

All together and filled up and added water and.... it leaks.....

Split by the upper rad hose probably half covered by the hose when clamped on. Should be able to solder it up. Better to find now than on the road.

Coolingsystemtuneup007Large.jpg

Had to take the rad/grill out to do it right. Soldered up just fine. The hose that's on it is home made from something else and was hard to get off for the thermostat. I'll bet forcing it on in the past caused this. The shroud is a two piece that bolts together. Bottom half was missing but I had one in my junk pile, what are the chances??? The horns sound like a cow mooing so I swapped some 620 ones on while the grill was off.

Had to get to th post office so couldn't test it out around home. Just threw the tools in the back and took off. Temp gauge shot up into the run area within 2 km and topped out in 3. It runs about 1/3 of the way into the run range and seems more drive able in town.

Things to do... get a coolant recovery set up. I scrounged one from a '77 but it's where the windshield washer reservoir is on the driver's fender. The '77 has the reservoir mounted on the side of the black plastic thing tha covers the regulator and all the relays on the passenger side... I got that too!

Messin' around today and noticed the air inlet from the plenum was wobbling and could not tighten it, so I removed it to find a mouse condo. lol

710heater001Large.jpg

Hey Grahem want you 10 cent Can tire money? The bellows tube from the inlet to the heater assy also had some 'shit' in it.

710heater002Large.jpg

Pulled the front off the heater and vacuumed it out. Heading into town for some foam weather stripping to seal everything up. Tried the heater and it's a tornado now.

Well ever since getting this car the fuel filter plugs up every so often. When I drove it home from Duncan I had to remove the inlet hose and shake the rusty shit out twice. I replaced the filter after the second time around here with a clear one and already it's got half a teaspoon of 'grit'.

710gastankLarge.jpg

My last scrounge I brought home a spare tank so I tried to clean it out today. Lightly hammered the seal ring off the sender and removed it.... The hammering shook all the solids off the bottom. Looks like a 1/4" of mud caked on the bottom, about a double handful of moist chunks. I shook them out as best I could and rinsed out the rest with the garden hose. Threw two double handfuls of driveway gravel in and gave a good shake to polish the inside and cleaned out and let drain. The tank in the car may just need draining out but it would be quicker to have this one clean and ready. I've done so much this week that I took it easy today. I'll wiped this one down and paint a nice shiny black.

Ripped out the rear seat and unbolted the gas tank. Emptied out 2 1/2 gallons (wtf) gauge was on empty, just. The inside is a bit rusty but no chunks like the spare one I cleaned out yesterday, and will NOT be using. I rinsed out three times with gas until clear. Fuckitall, I'll get a couple more filters and carry them in the trunk.

Installed back in car with new gear clamps. Just need some gas. Maybe check the dirty stuff tomorrow when the sediment has settled. Expect to only work tomorrow AM so will work on this in the PM.

nice work man :D

Do you have any pics of the inside of that gas tank? Curious to see

I should have taken pictures of the chunks in the spare tank. Looked like several smashed plates only dark brown plus loose silty grit.

Here's a picture of the 5 gal pail I dumped the gas into from the 710 I'm driving. This is the one that has plugged the filter several times....

710gastank001Large.jpg

I wasn't going to throw out 2 1/2 gal of gas without trying to reclaim it. So I got some hose and a funnel and let it drip through while I did other stuff. Came out quite clean...

710gastank005Large.jpg

I'll keep a wary eye on the see through filter for the next while, and carry a spare. I don't expect a clog again but it may need changing more often.