320 slave swap question

fisch

Hey guys, will a column shift 320 clutch slave swap with a floor shift 320 slave? What are the differences?

The reason I ask is the parts interchange page shows different #s for both.

The good news is that the one for the 320 column shift lists as being swappable into the '59 l210! (Which is why I need to know!)

SlaveInterchange.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly the 320 parts manual I got from the620.com shows a totally different part # for the slave of the '63 320.

For the '63 320- #30620-02700

It also has different #'s listed for the above master at #30610-30001

If I had to guess, either would work on the '59. I think some truck slaves are designed to clear torsions, but we have no torsions on the 59!

Interestingly the 320 parts manual I got from the620.com shows a totally different part # for the slave of the '63 320.

For the '63 320- #30620-02700

It also has different #'s listed for the above master at #30610-30001

If I had to guess, either would work on the '59. I think some truck slaves are designed to clear torsions, but we have no torsions on the 59!

They might have a superseeded parts # after '63 maybe that's why it has changed

My 320 pc lists the cylinder as 30610-30001 but it has no year of print.

For some reason i was thinking clutch not slave cylinder

Edited by 67411sss
Hi fisch,

I would PM Mike Klotz as he does not have time to surf Ratsun as much as he would like to.

I think Mike adapted a 521 slave to work on his NL. Which is an option for sure! But if I can get the proper one I am all for it!

I will shoot him a PM though!

Got the pm :)

I don't really know what the differences are. I've since gotten rid of the floor shift trans I had. Most likely, as I tore apart the parts 320, I simply scrapped the slave knowing that I'd never find a kit for it.

The biggest reason I put the 521 slave on was because even if I did find a 320 slave....if it ever went out, I'd be doing the mod anyway. I've got a much better chance of finding a 521 slave. I was thinking that one day, when the NL is back in the shop, I'd take the measurements for the bracket and have some cut. The trick is doing the linkage too.

Since you don't have torsion bars to clear...I'd find a slave from a later model that a bracket can be made for. Don't pick something like a B210...not enough parts left for them. I'd pick a 280zx and see how it fits.....should be able to easily find those!!

I have seen a bunch of m/c's and slaves on ebay lately....haven't paid close attention though.

I know that with my 320, which God only knows what year the parts are (floor shift transmission in a former column shift truck), I ended up using a 521 slave (which is dimensionally identical to a 620 and 720 slave). Had to "notch" the ears on the bolt flange though, because the 320 slave bolt spacing is wider.

Of course the whole mess is now in piles all over the place, as I ended up having to yard the whole works out anyway. The hydraulics are all shot, and the engine smoked, so I got another engine but never got it installed because the transmission mounts are too different. So if I ever get back to it, I'll probably have to install the 320 trans on the J16 (and pray the flywheels swap over) to keep the number of modifications to a minimum. When you can't weld (and welding is something I've never learned) any mods have to be bolt-on mods. The differences between a 521 trans and a 320 trans rear mount are just too much to correct with bolts.